Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New to Polycount looking for critique please

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
AtomicToyRobot polycounter lvl 11
Hey, all name is Vin. I'm just posting my work here for some feed back, I've been out of school for a year looking to improve my work. Any feed back is appreciated either for modeling, animation or texturing. Thanks for your time guys looking forward to the comments.

www.vinbaratta.com

Replies

• Velktri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Velktri polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Vin. I looked over you site and here's a few things that may help you out in refining your portfolio.

1. Have the site link directly to you art when it is opened. People need to be hooked on you art from the first click. If they like what they see, they will explore around and read you profile/resume but they need to see the artwork first thing.

2. You have three different demo reels spread over three years. Your portfolio should be a reflection of your abilities in the present, showing only your best up to date work. A timeline is essentially worthless in a portfolio since all it shows is how far you have come over the years, but employers want to see what you can do in the present. It's fine to show work from the past, but only if it shows off the best of you abilities in the present.

3. Specialize. You have an animation demo reel, concept drawing, creatures, characters, etc. I'd suggest figuring out what you really want to do and then showcase it to the best of your ability. Scrap everything unrelated and make new content for your specialization.

4. Post breakdowns of your work. Show the viewer wireframes and texture maps along with stats from the model like triangle count etc. This shows off how well you can optimize.

5. Your linkedin tab doesn't work.

All in all, clean up these issues and I'm sure you will see results. :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using music from video games, especially popular ones, is a big no-no. If you are trying to get into the games industry, you might run into some... interesting... moments during interviews with companies that unknowingly provided your sound track.

You have pretty much 3 choices - create your own music, use something from the public domain (which, in the US at least, means stuff from before Steamboat Willy :( ), or get permission to use it (stuff with a generous free license falls into this category).
  • AtomicToyRobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtomicToyRobot polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to move some stuff around on the site.
    Velktri, yeah I am a bit everywhere on my site. I enjoy doing animation, modeling and character drawing I didn't think it would do any harm in trying to showcase all of that. If however I have a better chance at finding work with focusing on one I'll make some changes

As far as the actual content I have on there what do you guys think about it? I know that I have simplistic characters but if there is anything you liked or disliked I'd appreciate the comment.