Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - Escape from Auschwitz - tbd

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, I'm pretty late on the initial post but better late than never.

Our team consists of:
Malcolm Neal - environment artist
Paul Sjoquist - character concept artist
Damion Davis - concept artist
and myself - character artist

We took a somewhat straight forward approach on the concept of "escape", which is an escape from a concentration camp, Auschwitz to be exact. There's a twist on the nazi technology. We referenced some steampunk design for the tech, because I just can't get away from sic-fi, especially for the guard. The captives are bound by magnetic braces attached to the elbows and knees, and when activated, the captive is contracted into the fetal position. Some of the concepts may change a little throughout the weeks but for the most part, we are satisfied on the design direction thus far.

Concept for guard:
escapesketch1bsmall.jpg

Here are some character block ins I started on.

ibel0331132.jpg

daan0322132.jpg

Replies

• ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    A little more progress on Ibel. I made some changes to the face but lost a lot of detail during the process. I also made a detail pass on the clothes.

ibel0412131.jpg
    ibel0412132.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Interesting idea. The guard is not looking very nazi if you ask me. Find what parts of the WWII outfits really made their style recognizable. Ancient Rome had some major influences as far as I'm aware so looking into that might be a good idea as well.
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks AimBiz. Yeah, there are some things I want to change about him also. The pauldrons look too big to me and the jacket needs more love. I could go on but I am running out of time.

There was going to be an environment for this but my environment guy got slammed with work and won't finish in time. So characters only for this entry.

I haven't been posting much as I have been busy myself trying to finish up on some other miscellaneous projects. But again, time is running out on me so I'm scrambling like crazy. I did spend some time on retopo, uv, and texturing for my female character. Here's a shot in marmoset with textures on the face and normals applied to the clothing. I just wanted to make sure my normals were ok. I even brought in the super duper high resolution restraints on the knees and elbows (which I have to bake down sooner than later).
    ibel0423132.jpg
    ibel0423131.jpg

I have been having trouble getting my eyes to turn out right lately. I can get eyes to work perfectly fine in maya ( using transparency and separate geo for iris technique). But getting that same look with one spherical polygon has been racking my brain...either that or I haven't spent enough time trying to figure it out :/. If anyone has advice on how to handle the eyes, I'm all ears.
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    seems I forgot to post this WIP also. Here's the Zbrush sculpt from last week or so.

ibel0412135.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    made some changes to the exposure on the face and rebaked the clothing. Ao and normal map on the clothing. Diffuse, spec, and normal on the face.

ibel0424132.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Had some time to block in the colors for the rest of the model...excluding the restraints. Right now the stripes are a bit to saturated for my taste. I'm thinking of knocking some of that back with a grunge/saturation pass.

Ibel_042513-1_zps1f226cb1.jpg
    Ibel_042513-2_zpsf651b027.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    close to finish with the female prisoner. There's a few odd ends I want to work on but I need to get back to the guard and to try and finish just enough for the scene I have in my head.
    ibel0429131.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    couple of comp shots I'm hoping I can pull off before the contest end date.

compshots.jpg