Home Technical Talk

Modo: unifying uv shells scale

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
I tried using Pack UVs but I can't get the scale of separate uv shells to match. Pack UVs with only 'stretch' checked doesn't match the scale perfectly. I know Relaxing with 'Adaptive' gives proper scale to all islands but i can't use it like that this time. Any way to do it easily ?

Replies

• WarrenM
    Pack will scale them relative to each other but, yeah, if you don't have a decent relax done on the shells you won't get correct results. I don't know of another answer other than ... relax them flat and work the islands until they are as good as you can get them. Then pack.
  • Farfarer
    Pack with Stretch usually works for me. If the UVs inside those islands are already disproportionate, you could end up with issues, though (as it'll get an average value for the shell).

If it's only a few bits that you need scaling, you could try Fit UVs for each island (ensure Keep Proportion is checked) then scale them both at the same time and judge the texel density compared to the rest of the model by eye?
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it seems nothing works :/ Will have to match them by hand. One of the shells is long polygon strip and it has some distortion in it (but thats the plan ;p). It's a shame there is nothing 100% reliable for this in Modo.
  • Farfarer
    Eh, you're asking it to account for purposeful stretching in your UVs. Not sure any UV app's going to give the results you're after.

Might want to try Seneca's SuperUV Tools?
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    Now when i think about it it makes sense. Since I stretched polygons it can't calculate the pixel density right ... I might have brain farted. I suppose it's really hard to make a tool which takes into consideration stretched polygons and bases the new scale on non stretched geometry and not on all polygons.

Didn't find anything in SuperUV Tools. Will tweak it by hand. You are probably right that it's not possible if I understand the math behind it correctly.