Home General Discussion

Unwanted Criticism

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
killnpc polycounter
Hey there,

You're looking fucking gooood! Damn. New shampoo? What's your secret?! ... anyways ;)

I'm looking for heated critique threads where the original poster did not take well to criticism. Maybe they were just overly sensitive or defensive to feedback or whatever. My hope being that these types of conversations can help me get a better understanding of the best way to behave within the critiquing process. Any other articles or links you think might be interesting are welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Kinda seems gossipy, why would one do that?
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    To gossip! I just love gossip. That and I want to learn how to give and take criticism better.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Wait, your link... is... wait...
    I see. OH I SEE HOW IT IS!
    THIS IS BULLSHIT! SO I'M THE BAD GUY HERE!?

9569981_453adae9e3_o.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Seems like a pretty shitty idea.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahah! I was just being an ass, Cory...couldn't resist! :)

More seriously, I don't think what KillnPC is asking for is necessarily 'gossipy' thing or a bad thing to think about...especially if we're talking about old threads, long locked or with people who have long left PC.

I could see having good examples and bad examples of how to take crits as being helpful to people... It's easy to say 'this is how you should NOT take feedback' its another to show an example of a thread gone to hell. Likewise, I think it's worth elevating those who truly take crits well--particularly if the work isn't all that great at first and there's ample evidence of the attitude being a factor in the improvement of the artist. Some of the long running Conceptart.org sketchbooks had some great examples of this, but no names come to mind atm.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    damn, I remember at least 2-3 examples from P&P but nothing concrete enough to search on :(. They were all awkward as hell, though.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I don't know, there have been a few fellows over the past year; but yes, this thread seems like a bad idea.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Thanks everyone for your gracious feedback!

It might be more productive if you sandwiched your negativity hamburger with positivity bread.

Like, maybe say,
    "Thanks for the question! But this kinda seems gossipy, why would one do that? Good luck in your search!"

And,
    "I think you're a great break-dancer but, this thread is a TERRIBLE idea! I really like your avatar."

Or,
    "I want to be your friend in real life. Seems like a pretty shitty idea. You're a great person who makes the world a better place."

Have a great night!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I remember some kid who was making "games, then trying to sell them, and other things at one point on polycount and was banned a few times, who is back in ~Another~ thread currently" Who took a while to learn some lessons.

There was also some other guy that was "so bad at taking crits/learning" at one point that a Admin made a thread in the main section (using his real name as well) To call him out to "help him improve"

was kinda of a bad ordeal of gossip and nonsense on both ends. I think ultimately both threads where deleted, but if you talk to one of the staff members im sure they might have a copy of it floating around.
  • bnosam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread may help a little bit lol, it unfolded pretty amusingly too:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94724
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    killnpc wrote: »

9569981_453adae9e3_o.jpg

If this is you then I know this is crazy but.... I wan't to be your friend, we can share screens, we can help each other learn 3d.....for free.

If thats not you then.......... then ...I'm sad.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This sub forum is a goldmine of kids trying to start MMOs using UDK. Wild claims of pay, publishers, not understanding UDK isn't UE, etc. http://forums.epicgames.com/forums/378-Got-Skills-Looking-for-Talent

I'm sure you'll find something.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Yo!

huge-mistake.gif

So, first off, no, I'm not a hot chick.

Second, this thread is totally uncalled for. I honestly was looking for those threads but didn't really consider how this might effect those people's careers! Totally not cool. Sucks for me, I'll just have to manually search them out.

Don't be an attention whore like me! Don't ruin your peer's potential careers!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know your not a girl damnit!! I thought it was funny.... now I'm not laughing. but I might if this is a joke. HOLY SHIT!
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    I know YOU know, but I don't want you to inception that shit into someone's head. ;)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    can we book you for our company party? ;)
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More pics of girls please!
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    let me tell you about my fellows

edit: shit, joopson beat me to it

edit2: Oh man that Metal Impact thread is comedy gold, I completely forgot about that.

Mod hat: The concept of this thread is actually a very, very good idea. Pooling resources for dealing with criticism, both giving and receiving is a great topic that I really support, so lets try to move on here with that in mind.

The best and sometimes hardest thing to do when receiving or getting critiques or feedback is to remove all emotion from it. Something that I find really helps me to do is break down each point and make a simple list, which I can check off one by one as I do it.

It really helps me think objectively about something like change requests when I get a big pile of them that I may not necessarily agree with or feel great about. When I break it down into little chunks to knock off I can usually make the changes really quickly, and generally by the time I've actually done the changes I see the merit in them, even if its easy to initially take criticism/change requests personally.

When I'm giving feedback I like to do the same thing, break it down with a simple list and wherever possible make suggestions on how to improve each point, not just C. "This area sux, fix it".
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I read the whole thread! I'm so proud of myself!

I wanted to say that, while no examples come to mind (that I could possibly find), I know I've seen instances where the artist was actually asking for critique, but the critique they received was terrible; either very mean, way off base, or completely unhelpful. We have a few long-standing members here who still haven't learned how to give good critique, and that's no good!

If you're going to research into this topic, then you should also pay attention to the type of critique that people are giving too. Just my two cents.

Back to UDK documentation....
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I actually agree, EQ. It is a great idea for a thread when thought of that way, instead of as a sort of lions' den, where we throw the dead threads of artists past. It can be very helpful having specific examples of how people deal with critique, both good and bad. And perhaps, if there were a way to repost a thread, while editing out the usernames involved, it could be a lot less revealing, and that could remove the detrimental effects of calling attention to that person and how badly they received the critique. i.e. it could save them their embarrassment, or could stop potential employers from basing their opinion of someone off of a thread posted here 4 years ago, and reposted to here, which may bear no resemblance to who that person is at this present time. or something.

I noticed something about critique I've received. It really is a compliment when people spend their time typing out something long about your work. It means it is showing enough promise that they care about it, in some small way, and they're willing to spend their time typing to you about how to make it better.

But I've noticed that I'm at a point where I get a lot of critique, with very few compliments. And while I understand it is a compliment to receive critique at all, it is still a bit discouraging to see only things that should be fixed, instead of also things that are good.

And I think that's probably the case with everybody; everyone likes to hear good things about their work, in addition to the critique. And that certainly helps with how it is received and dealt with by the artist.

Of course, at its base, it just means I'm not good enough yet. And I try to remove my ego from that, but it's tough, certainly. Sometimes it's easier than other times. When I was younger, it would really deeply wound me to hear something negative about my work; even though I knew, in all good conscience, the issues mentioned.

So I try not to judge people based on how they receive critique, unless they are complete and total dicks about it. Because most of us have been there at one point or another.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I have seen a few, hmmm, lets what I saw over the years on PC:

-Fellowbots and the treat that PC will be done for under the army of mushroom men cause no one liked my artwork.

-Anubis vs. Mimes and the lovely Orient from the other dimension is my shield.

-The Alpha and Omega GoW Angel of of the Universe that would make even He-Man blush is my shield.

-Jumping from software to software in the rendering Pipeline because wasting time learning a render engine is stupid and it's the software that counts is bliss.

-Animation is expensive, and the resources created by veterans are stupid, Pixar can suck a big fat cock, now teach me and don't comment about it.

-Valve is stupid for allowing nice thumbnails and nice models in the workshop, and not mine, I know my stuff!

-Normal Blended shaders aren't good enough for Skin shader, and Reflections don't exist, but Specular's do in real-life, I know my browns.

-Please close my account that I publicly mentioned because no one liked my art and want some human attention on my art as pity.

-Most of your model have tits in it, you're stupid, you should be making wholesome art and mountains, REPENT! YOU DON'T NEED NO ANATOMY! GOD CREATED TIT'S IN OUR MOUNTAINS!

-I'm a 13 year old girl who is a boy in Vietnam, and lost both legs to a shark tiger who ate my parents on my birthday, art helps me free my soul, so I'm trying to do my best with my artwork, please don't say anything mean or else I will cut myself while stitching shoes for orphans, Kawai-Desu!

Hmmm...yep, I think that's about it. I'm not going to give out any links to the threads in question, but anyone who has seen quite a few posts on PC will know what I'm talking about, continue looking at your own peril now :D
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    -The Alpha and Omega GoW Angel of of the Universe that would make even He-Man blush is my shield.

Even kratos feared all those triangles, i remember i read the entire 3 page's of notes in his thread, dear lord that was funny shit ;')
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is actually a good topic,

maybe I'm seeing through greentooth glasses, but I'm sure on the waaaaaay back train ( I’m talkin... 2 polycount revisions ago(am I on crack?) or maybe just 1? I’m talking 2003/2004??) Critiques used to be raw and brutal here. Enough to send children screaming and crying. If you couldn’t handle it, you couldn’t. It was that simple.

I'm sure I remember a few people even getting run out of town because they couldn’t handle the crits.

I actually miss that!

Nowadays it seems like it’s all about not hurting anyone’s feelings, being politically correct, not being racist(amongst friends),and just candy coating absolutely everything to the point of coddling. And for me that’s a real ‘turn off’ environment to learn in.

I came here originally because dudes like b1ll would tell me I sucked, followed by a paintover showing me how to paint like a beast. Now you rarely (if ever) get people doing that because somewhere along the line recipients started getting hung up on the 'you suck' part and can’t move beyond that, when that banter was only there because that’s just how things rolled. That for me at least, was the charm of what made polycount, polycount.

Maybe this is 100% in my mind - either way it’s definitely how it feels.

I'm so cautious with giving critique it’s never how I actually want to deliver it because I’m too conscious of crushing some poor persons soul -and it takes a ton of time to articulate thoughts and be nice, when its much faster to just say ' shit sucks, here’s a paintover bro ' I mean were all friends here right ?

I have to go to my own circle of friends and grovel to b1ll because I know he’s not afraid to tell me I still suck his balls like a bitch and will forever.

TLDR: Rugged and raw man, cut the bullshit on the crits. Throwdown with the brutality and mix it in with some penises, vaginas, boobs and general nastiness, all filthy and shitty like. - then as the recipient you're free to analyze and break it down however you see fit - determine if anything’s in line with your vision and move forward, or ignore.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    why do i have such an urge trolling this tread but then constatntly deleting walls of text because "noo thats just too much"

edit:
    now i know, usually i don't recieve any cirtuique at all because my 3d work has become so mediocre, that nobody appears to bother, and i only post something like once a year or something
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    This is central to the character of an artist, fellas.

One day, you'll present a piece of art. And some day after that, a critic will tell you it's a piece of shit, right to your face.

When that day comes, how are you going to react?

They may say it in the nicest way possible and that sure would be nice of them. They might not have the patience and tell you their opinion coldly and direct. They may be so repulsed they want to harm you if they can and discourage you.

The viewer is the other half of the experience.

I think a part of being a professional and better artist in general is learning how to take tough criticism. Being able to harden yourself to view problems objectively. It would allow you to learn from all feedback, and not just the feedback we select.

But, the tougher you get, you also need to learn how to be soft to others. It's all in the name of progress and finding a working solution.

Penis confetti.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I think most people would be fine with tough criticism as long as there's actual good advice being given, not just "this sucks, kill yourself". That doesn't really seem to be a problem in this community though, which is cool. Even if you're just wanting to say good job, mentioning something specific can be more helpful than not, and shouldn't take too long to do.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    Hazardous: are you realy seeing "not being racist" as candy coating? for me thats just common sense...

on topic: i get really tired of the EPIC ART THREADS!!!11 that pop up in p&p every now and then. its like 4 pages of "i came."-type of comments with not as much as a single conctructive criticism. the crysis art-threads comes to mind. i mean sure if people like what they see they should say so, but it doesnt take that long to add just a couple of sentences on how to improve.

its almost like there is this fear of criticizing those that are to good. i mean in all other media, people do this. i can easily tell people that i dont like picasso or that the oscars went to the wrong movie, eventough i wouldnt in a millions years be able to do that kind of work.
    but here it feels that there is this unspoken counter argument to every criticism; "then do better yourself neewb!"

uhhh maybe i went wildly off topic now, but whatever...
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    While I enjoy a good flame thread, I like EQ's idea. It's easy to have a knee-jerk negative reaction to negative criticism, I know plenty of people who still have a hard time with it. You just have to realize, especially on PC, that if someone is offering crits, they took the time to look at your stuff and think about ways you could improve it. Far from being upset, you should be ecstatic. I think being able to not only take criticism, but actually digest what was said and apply it is one of the most useful tools of an artists repertoire.

Just look at some of the threads on here, where people start out with something that looks good, but isn't quite there, and they follow the crits, and implement them, the end result is an infinitely more polished project.

I know of a thread currently on PC though, but it feels too mean-spirited to link to it. I don't know, I say give them a chance to change their ways before they're publicly crucified.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Hey there,

You're looking fucking gooood! Damn. New shampoo? What's your secret?! ... anyways ;)

I'm looking for heated critique threads where the original poster did not take well to criticism. Maybe they were just overly sensitive or defensive to feedback or whatever. My hope being that these types of conversations can help me get a better understanding of the best way to behave within the critiquing process. Any other articles or links you think might be interesting are welcome.

Thanks!

Seems a little silly, what possible positive information do you hope to glean from this? How do you plan to educate people with this data? That might help people understand your plan a little more.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    It can definitely be a case of criticizing those that are good... imagine if you're a sculpting badass and someone with barely any 3D knowledge says "Hmm, your cloth could use some work." Do you have the humility to say "Yes you're absolutely right" or reply with "You know nothing - step off, bitch!" :D

I personally don't think there's any reason to say "This piece sucks, etc." How does it help? Its better to put it across in a constructive way so the artist's confidence isn't knocked, e.g. "Proportions could use some work, here's a paintover" or "Those details don't look like cloth, more like melted chocolate, you need to study the forms more" They're probably putting a lot of time and effort into their work, so its worth keeping that in mind.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    This is central to the character of an artist, fellas.

One day, you'll present a piece of art. And some day after that, a critic will tell you it's a piece of shit, right to your face.

Accept it and move on, it isn`t something you havn`t said about yourself anyway at that point. I think a good artist always thinks his work needs improvement and is probably way worse a critic of him/herself than anyone else could be.
    If you can`t handle a certain critique then it means it hit home somewhere. Aside from that useless critique and personal opinion is usually easily identifiable.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    oh man that heartbreak thread is epic!

on a serious note, i think its important to differentiate between personal oppinion and actual constructive criticism. Often people give well written feedback but its unclear if its just what they like/dislike/prefer or if its, say, an actual anatomical error in the model.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hazardous wrote: »

maybe I'm seeing through greentooth glasses, but I'm sure on the waaaaaay back train ( I’m talkin... 2 polycount revisions ago(am I on crack?) or maybe just 1? I’m talking 2003/2004??) Critiques used to be raw and brutal here. Enough to send children screaming and crying. If you couldn’t handle it, you couldn’t. It was that simple.

I'm sure I remember a few people even getting run out of town because they couldn’t handle the crits.

I actually miss that!

actually man that's my thought too.

i remember when i first started modding (making skins o/) and found polycount, and said to some of my fellow modders "hey i wanna post my stuff there". and they ALL said, rather unanimously... "don't do it, they'll eat you alive!"

and they weren't lying! i got ripped a new one, pretty fast. but you know what? i'm glad it happened and i'm glad i stuck it out.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Since when "tis shit" is critique?
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am going to play the devils advocate for a second and say that I feel the occasional "ass-pats only" threads are good for gauging yours and others work too. People see where the bar is and know what to aspire to. It's inspirational IMO.

Honestly... who doesn't like getting 5 pages of "awesome!" comments when they worked really hard on something? When you get lots of those comments you know you are doing something that is generally well received and that you are on the right track. Just IMO.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ"]Yeah, well that's just your opinion man. (Big Lebowski) - YouTube[/ame]

at first it might be hard to get a rough critique and it might take a little time until it sinks in, but just a harsh "this is shit" without any substance behind is something i ignore completely
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth

Haha, this was how polycount was pitched to me in 2008 - but I found it to be more like 'Brutal critique wrapped in friendly encouragement'.

I don't think the raw critiques have declined, but I have noticed much more 'soft' critiques as the community has grown. And there's been several phases of growth where the brutal critique style wouldn't have really been appropriate (TF2 Modelling noob influx).

Ultimately I think it's not a terrible thing, but we must be ever vigilant for threads where the reply's are a page of:

Nice.

Sweet work!

I came!

etc...
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    fearian wrote: »
    Haha, this was how polycount was pitched to me in 2008 - but I found it to be more like 'Brutal critique wrapped in friendly encouragement'.

I don't think the raw critiques have declined, but I have noticed much more 'soft' critiques as the community has grown. And there's been several phases of growth where the brutal critique style wouldn't have really been appropriate (TF2 Modelling noob influx).

Ultimately I think it's not a terrible thing, but we must be ever vigilant for threads where the reply's are a page of:

Nice.

Sweet work!

I came!

etc...

Nice post dude, I came....
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, PC did used to have a raw, brutal edge. Some of that was good, but mostly it felt like a bunch of grumpy industry veterans sitting in the bar making fun of anyone new who came in...some people responded well to that culture, but not most people. I'm not saying its better to do the 'positivity sammich!' stuff everywhere, but most people find crits to be a bit more palatable when there's tact involved, IMO.

Particulary for new artists, it's very easy to be discouraged into the point of just giving up.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I guess in this industry you do want to be critiqued... and even when its harsh thats when i feel its when you get a chance to outdo yourself and work towards doing even better. This is an industry were you will always get your work reviewed by other people, and should do well with that feedback, if not. You'll have a tough time.

I guess just listen, don't take feedback personally, and just learn from what people say. 8 times out of 10, that feedback will make you a stronger artist. That is just my opinion tho.

Now a days i look of peoples work and not comment.... i tend to write more in here or on the tech thread. But when people ask me for my feedback i always try to give some constructive crits if any.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    hell, id take any feedback, i'm in that classic polycount average valley, where i mostly know what i need to improve on, it's just ratcheting down and doing it. I'd much rather get harsh criticism than one post of "Looks cool" and otherwise complete indifference.

And as to what Hazardous said about "This sucks" followed by awesome paintover. I think many people would listen if that happened, but by and large now-a-days(not that i was there back then) the "harsh" criticism is just "This sucks" followed by "cause i said so." This is most likely because the people who can really give those awesome crits/paintovers, are probably super busy.

Having said all that it IS still totally possible to gleam information from people just as good or "worse" than you, in most cases it involves a little back and forth, and reading between the lines
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    nyx702 wrote: »
    I am going to play the devils advocate for a second and say that I feel the occasional "ass-pats only" threads are good for gauging yours and others work too. People see where the bar is and know what to aspire to. It's inspirational IMO.

Honestly... who doesn't like getting 5 pages of "awesome!" comments when they worked really hard on something? When you get lots of those comments you know you are doing something that is generally well received and that you are on the right track. Just IMO.

Yeah, but you really want someone to say WHY they like it, and what they DONT like and how it could be improved. Same as with the "It looks like shit", "It looks great" comments is kinda useless, because there is no context, it could be applied to anything, maybe he just liked the trashcan or something.

If you just want backpatting, deviantArt would be the place for it, imo.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I actually miss that!

Nowadays it seems like it’s all about not hurting anyone’s feelings, being politically correct, not being racist(amongst friends),and just candy coating absolutely everything to the point of coddling. And for me that’s a real ‘turn off’ environment to learn in.

I came here originally because dudes like b1ll would tell me I sucked, followed by a paintover showing me how to paint like a beast. Now you rarely (if ever) get people doing that because somewhere along the line recipients started getting hung up on the 'you suck' part and can’t move beyond that, when that banter was only there because that’s just how things rolled. That for me at least, was the charm of what made polycount, polycount.

Maybe this is 100% in my mind - either way it’s definitely how it feels.

I'm so cautious with giving critique it’s never how I actually want to deliver it because I’m too conscious of crushing some poor persons soul -and it takes a ton of time to articulate thoughts and be nice, when its much faster to just say ' shit sucks, here’s a paintover bro ' I mean were all friends here right ?

I have to go to my own circle of friends and grovel to b1ll because I know he’s not afraid to tell me I still suck his balls like a bitch and will forever.

TLDR: Rugged and raw man, cut the bullshit on the crits. Throwdown with the brutality and mix it in with some penises, vaginas, boobs and general nastiness, all filthy and shitty like. - then as the recipient you're free to analyze and break it down however you see fit - determine if anything’s in line with your vision and move forward, or ignore.

Well, the whole machismo "shit sux" thing, I think a lot of that is simply that polycount as a whole has grown up a lot. With more people getting industry jobs and the whole industry in general maturing, you see that reflected here, the end result being a bit more of a work appropriate environment. The games industry is small, and the last thing you really want to be known as is some jackass who talks shit constantly on the internet. So as professionals we've got to be aware of the "PR" we're putting out there.

I remember the same stuff you remember, but I can't say I really look back on it as the good old days like you do, its simply different today, not really hugely better or worse. I think polycount is more accessible to new users these days, which I would count as a good thing.

My 23 year old self from 5 years ago and my 18 year old self from 10 years ago especially think that I am a huge wanker for writing this post. But honestly, the sort of effort I put into what I post these days is a lot more rewarding.

But I wanted to comment on something else you mentioned. For me, I like to see/give detailed critiques that outline specific points instead of the general "this sucks" "this 'looks off'". However, you don't actually need to do a huge writeup to do that, I think a paintover is often just as much effort if not more than a detailed writeup, especially if its coming from someone that knows what they are doing(ie: you, lol). So yeah, even if you think dropping a quick paintover isn't much effort, IMO its actually one of the most helpful and meaningful things you can do.

In a lot of ways when I give feedback/advice/etc I sort of think of it as building a library of knowledge. If you put in the effort to give really good feedback to someone, its not only going to help that person at that one moment of time, its something a lot of other people are going to catch on to, and its something you can point back to again in the future when similar situations pop up.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_v_ubcYsTI"]The birth of first Artist and first critic by means of natural selection - YouTube[/ame]
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crits are rad! it's learning for free.

I don't know how many people know about the website satellitesoda.com (it's mostly a 2D art site) but when me and a couple people created it and one of the main rules way you HAVE to crit on each thread that would you comment on. You also have to give feedback and not just use the forum as a personal gallery to slut your art work. Some people would post and never comment on anyone's work or even their own thread. Your crits would have to be constructive as well other wise the people who ignorantly say "the arm is super stupid" would get talked to.

I love crits so hard and it's one of the best learning tools for your art but also for working with people. Crits never have to be mean or forced, especially when it's subjective. Nothing worst than art bullies trying to derail someones passion for a particular style.

What also sucks is when I ask for crits and I get nothing : [

here are some of the rules from the forum!

Knowledge Of Basic Art Fundamentals Required

The goal of the SatelliteSoda forums is to help out those who, for whatever reason, seriously want to improve their artistic abilities and become the best that they can be. Having knowledge of the basic art fundamentals helps us help you. Having this knowledge puts everyone on the same level making critiques and explantions much easier.

Should you not already have some knowledge of the basic art fundamentals, for example colour and/or anatomy, that's ok, we cannot hold your hand, but we will help as much as possible. In the end its up to you to take the initiative to learn the basics for yourself.

Constructive Comment/Critique Encouraged

Try to be as constructive as possible when leaving a response to the art of other on these forums. Comments in the vein of "Those colours suck!" or "That chick looks like a guy!", no matter how humourous they occasionally may be, are not criticism nor constructive and do not help the artist in question. Comments such as "That is really cool" and "OMG!!!" fall into the same area. A single emoticon is also not a constructive comment, no matter how cool said emoticon may be. Try and keep those type of comments to a minimum, as it gives an artist nothing to work with.

Try to give reasons and explanations to why you like or dislike a certain element in a piece, as it goes along way. Be specific also, most threads contain multiple images, so please make sure the artist is aware which piece you are commenting on.

Try To Give And Take Criticism

If you have come here to show off you work without giving any input on anyone else’s work, then you’ll be shunned. If you would like help on your work or people to look and comment on your work, that's fine, but I’m sure other people would like your input on their work too.

Please try to give and recieve criticism in a professional manner and with an open mind. When you post art here at SatelliteSoda, it goes without saying that you are seeking comments and criticism. If you are after comments and critcism on a certain area of a piece, make sure you get that across when you first post the piece.

Criticism is a means to help you improve your artistic technique and/or the formal elements of a piece of art and in no way is a critique a personal attack.

A critique is an examination of the formal elements of a piece of art, line, color, form, composition etc. A critique is not about passing judgement or what is ‘wrong’ with a piece. Pointing out each and every thing you consider to be a flaw in a piece of art is not a good critique. Going over a piece with a fine tooth comb for ridiculous amounts of time nit picking it too bits and expecting the artist to go back and fix all the "problems" is not a good critique either.

A critique is a balanced examination of the formal elements in a piece, expressing both good and bad, what you feel works, and what doesn’t. Try to address the elements you think were carried out well in addition to the one’s you feel could maybe use some work.

Leave your personal tastes behind. If you don’t care for a particular genre or style, let it be, it's not needed to give a good critique. If you think your personal preference is a valid critism then explain why.

If you have the right attitude, an understanding of the basic art fundametals, the drive to improve your work and a sense of humour you will have no problems at all. These things are very important at SatelliteSoda and important to the SatelliteSoda Crew.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I actually miss that!
    I hear ya buddy and as long as it has some merit behind it and isn't "you suck, go die" and instead is "you suck, here's why" then the brutality is much more beneficial. Even without the beneficial component it still serves to build up some thicker skin which almost everyone needs... but you do want to be careful and not come off as being an abrasive dick just for the sake of being a dick. There is a fine line between being brutally honest and just being brutal, even if it is entertaining.

To the thin skinned artists who prefer their critiques watered down with 3 parts smoke, 2 parts wind and 1 part ass, I say:
    "Its your ball Cinderella..."
    Make the most of it or don't bother getting dressed up.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    I'd like to think that anyone who posts any art anywhere, is looking for more than just I love it!, critique is by far the best tool for improving in my opinion.

As far as harsh critique or brutally honest critique goes I value it a great deal, it cuts to the chase and highlights what's actually wrong, but unfortunately it doesn't always seem to crop up all that often or all that early. Perhaps it'd be a good idea to isolate critique that's extremely harsh to one thread; the rip my art a new one thread or something. That way only people who feel brave enough to take those sort of comments would receive them, maybe. The more I think of it the more I think there wouldn't be much point but who knows.

Most of the posts here have touched on my thoughts on critique, I don't think I saw anyone say that criticism is a bad, or at least always a bad thing.

And as far as being on topic goes, I think Ace-Angel got most of them.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    slightly off topic, but i could have sworn when i first joined Polycount, Earthquake was modeling boobs.

it was THAT long ago.