Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Jungle-hidden bunker

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
davidosterlind polycounter lvl 5
Hey!
Starting a new piece for my portfolio. Would love to get your opinions/ suggestions/critique early on. I have made a quick example to show what I´m going for, basically a sci-fi bunker with a staircase leading underground. Its located in a forest clearing, its run down but still in use. Bright warm light is shining from the doorway. A lot of the foliage is done prior to this , but I will probably make some new foliage assets when I know exactly what´s needed. scifienvironmentscreen.jpg

Here is the building, high-poly, WIP
scifienvironmentscreenh.jpg

Replies

• davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! Worked on all aspects on the scene, started texturing the building as well as the base. I have struggled with the shading on foliage and plants, cant seem to find a good way to simulate translucency in UDK. I have tried transmission but I can´t get it to work. Any tips? All plants are based on the same custom-phong-shader-model material.

davidosterlind01secretb.jpg
    davidosterlind02secretb.jpg
    davidosterlind03secretb.jpg
    davidosterlind04secretb.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    looks cool man! I'm not an expert with udk so can't give you much advice there. But the lighting I think needs more work, and the plants on the metal structure look out of place. Also the material on the metal, isn't reading much like metal to me. I think it needs stronger spec. keep up the good work dude.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    For Transmission, you have two things you need to use: TransmissionMask and TransmissionColor. For the mask, you can use an extra texture that is black and white, with white being where the fake-SSS comes through(It may be the other way around, I can't remember). You can also try one of the channels from the Diffuse, because with a few tweaks, they can usually work pretty well which cuts down the texture count. For TransmissionColor, you can just use a Constant 3.

I agree about the bunker, it's not really reading as metal to me just yet. Also, if it's a bunker in a jungle that has probably been there awhile, I think having some foliage growing closer around it, and on it, will help blend it into the scene better. The fence also looks black.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thats doesnt look very hidden at all, i would make it more hidden, add some more vegetation, rocks maybe
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    This looks nice. Makes me happy, dunno why :).
    Anyway, I would suggest you to put something in the lower-right part of the platform, or whatever it is, as maxviz said some vegetation could make it look more like hidden.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lack of a door seems very odd. I initially thought the steel ramp in front was the door, except the geometry did not match.

The texture on the fence posts just reads like black paint in most of the views - I'd stick to a more conventional and weathered appearance.
    barbed+wire+fence+at+Point+No+Point+Lighthouse.jpg

The opposite is true of the razor wire and the chain link fence - they both seem too pristine.
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tank you all, appreciate the feedback. Havent had time to adress it all yet but iv'e tweaked a few things and started to play with the lighting a bit more. Warmer, stronger sunlight and as a contrast cooler light coming from inside the bunker. Might be a bit too bright atm. What do you think?

scifibunker0102.jpg
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todays update!

scifibunker0103.jpg
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anoher update, Wee! Changed the lighting to a more moonlit evening, got to use some of that warmer light coming from the bunker. Tweaked most of the textures and added some emissive lights.

scifibunker0105.jpg
    scifibunker0104.jpg
  • akh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
  • ftorek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good - i love the density of all foliage - brilliant, almost jungle feel - one thing though - i think it's a bit too uniformly green - maybe try to break it slightly with various shades a bit more

cheers