Home General Discussion

Hardware Problems driving me nuts

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
SnowInChina interpolator
hey folks,

iam having some serious hardware problems here for almost half a year now and they are driving me insane.

this system already killed 4 graphics cards. i already have a new mainboard and a new power supply, and yesterday my new graphics card came back from the reseller.
so i did a fresh windows install and wanted to play some league of legends today, but i get graphic errors again. the last three cards had these errors too before they died.
i have absolutely no clue what could be at fault here. the pc is running smoothly in windows. i can watch movies and so on, but when i start a game the graphic errors come.

like i have mentioned above, the mainboard and the power supply are already new!
and i dont have a heat problem either, i was monitoring that, but it doesnt go above 50°C.
no overclocking

system info

System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7681
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/13/11 11:09:48 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16354MB RAM
Page File: 1921MB used, 30782MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 660 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
power supply : 600Watt Be Quiet!

i am seriously considering just buying a complete new rigg only to make the trouble stop.
if someone can point me into the right direction how to locate the defect, i would be eternaly grateful, because the last few months! i was online using my laptop, which is so painfully slow that gaming doesnt work and working isnt fun =(

Replies

• Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    I'm kinda out of the loop on hardware and builds, but isn't 600W a bit low for an i7 and a 600 series GTX? Could that be the source of your problems?
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're overloading your 12V rail. Try using another 12V rail, you have four to choose from.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Hmm, it's possible that 600w might be a little low for that setup, but that wouldn't be my first guess.

This may sound like a silly question - but do you have your system and other stuff all plugged in to the same outlet? Other hardware/devices from the same outlet CAN have an adverse affect on your system, and can cause graphical issues as well. I had a system a few years ago that was fine in-game and out, except for when I had a space heater plugged in to the same powerstrip. Everytime the space heater was plugged in and I opened a game, I can only assume the extra power draw did something weird, because I'd start getting some weird artifacting and wavey distortion on parts of my screen. I later discovered that a desk fan caused the same thing.

Moving my other desk devices to another outlet/different power strip, oddly enough, resolved the problem.

I'm also not sure if memory can cause such issues, but you could try removing your memory a stick/pair at a time to see if that helps.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the power supply being just 600 watts doesnt tell the whole story, do you know what the rail voltage is, 12v and 5v
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    hm, i thought 600Watt is enough
    this system was running 6months without problems

@two listen
    the PC is the only consumer on this outlet, but i´ll try a different outlet.

@nick2730
    "the power supply being just 600 watts doesnt tell the whole story, do you know what the rail voltage is, 12v and 5v"
    ???
    its a common psu
    http://www.alternate.de/html/product/be_quiet!/Pure_Power_BQT_L7-630W/919902/?

@overlord
    will check it out
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Sounds weird, since something like this would be caused by either your PSU/motherboard/GPU, and you have replaced all of those it seems.

600 watt is more then enough for that system, and the PSU doesn't seem terrible. (from a okay brand, not one of those "white products")

Do you perhaps know what brand your GPU is from (MSI/asus/gigabyte/etc)? (and the 3 before your current one, was it the same ones, or different ones).

Best thing would be to try and narrow it down to one piece.
    If your motherboard/cpu has a onboard GPU, take your graphics card out for the moment, or replace it by something cheap/basic (pick up a 10dollar one secondhand or something).

If you don't have any spare sparts, just test each thing separate.
    -Prime95 on small fft's to just test the cpu (couple of hours to a day).
    -Prime95 on blend or memtest(other program) to test your memory. (and if it goes wrong here, swap out sticks to find out wich one is the faulty one).

So hopefully it will be possible to start to pinpoint the problem a bit more if any of the above replies didn't solve it.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    joeriv wrote: »

Do you perhaps know what brand your GPU is from (MSI/asus/gigabyte/etc)? (and the 3 before your current one, was it the same ones, or different ones).

graphic cards destroyed :

GTX 570 from Point of View
    GT9600 Gainward
    GTS450 Gainward
    GTX660Ti Point of View

the GT 9600 was my old spare card and the GTS450 was bought cheap 2ndhand for testing
    all others did get replaced by my reseller

right now i have a GTX660Ti

right now iam testing it with a different outlet
    double checked the wiring, but its all good, running on different rails
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    What does Point of View/Gainward mean?

This is a really weird problem. If you're using a new PSU and motherboard I can't figure out what could be causing the issue.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    its the brand of the gpu
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Never even heard of them. Which sets off alarm bells. Maybe go with Asus/MSI?
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've heard of Gainward. I've never used any of their hardware though, so I can't say if they're any good. Tom's uses that brand a lot.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Andreas wrote: »
    Never even heard of them. Which sets off alarm bells. Maybe go with Asus/MSI?

You've never heard of Gainward? What third would country do you live in?

What are these graphics error? These errors could contain information help solve the problem.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    What are these graphics error? These errors could contain information help solve the problem.

flickering shadows all over the screen in random shapes

after changing the outlet it didnt happen again, but iam not going to celebrate yet because after changing so many things and the gpu failing again and again i kinda lost my hope.
    also the 2hours of testing arent really a long enough period to be sure.
    the GTS450 died after 3 weeks...
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    flickering shadows all over the screen in random shapes

after changing the outlet it didnt happen again, but iam not going to celebrate yet because after changing so many things and the gpu failing again and again i kinda lost my hope.
    also the 2hours of testing arent really a long enough period to be sure.
    the GTS450 died after 3 weeks...

Well you can stress test the GPU and see if you still get flickering; http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    until now zero graphic errors whatsoever
    Furmark : zero errors
    is this the solution to the problems ?
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    I can't believe no one mentioned a heat issue. I fried an ATI card after about 2 years, but overly excessive heat can make the card fail much faster.

What are your temps like in your case? Get a temp monitoring software like RealTemp and keep an eye on them. It sounds like a heat issue to me. You either have poor airflow and/or a poor placement of the graphics card in your case. Some cases like to place them at the bottom and just blast the heat into the bottom of the case and not get it clear.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get a proper surge protector and/or battery backup if this fixed your issue, it might be some shoddy wiring.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    I can't believe no one mentioned a heat issue. I fried an ATI card after about 2 years, but overly excessive heat can make the card fail much faster.

What are your temps like in your case? Get a temp monitoring software like RealTemp and keep an eye on them. It sounds like a heat issue to me. You either have poor airflow and/or a poor placement of the graphics card in your case. Some cases like to place them at the bottom and just blast the heat into the bottom of the case and not get it clear.

heating was the first thing i monitored closely but even if it runs on maximum stress level its not going above 55°C
    i have 5x120mm silent fans in my case with a good airflow
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Get a proper surge protector and/or battery backup if this fixed your issue, it might be some shoddy wiring.

hm, dont know, right now iam just using a different outlet (from a different electric circuit ) and the problems are hopefully gone
    i just hope my card didnt take any damage the first day it was connected to the faulty outlet

not idea whats wrong with it, my screen didnt seem to care much about it

@Two Listen
    shoot me a message if you ever go to middle germany. I´ll hook you up with some free beers and some catering
    you certainly saved me from going mad

edit : also big thanks everyone else for helping with the matter
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    until now zero graphic errors whatsoever
    Furmark : zero errors
    is this the solution to the problems ?

So its working fine with the stress test but not in LoL? Have you tested other games? Could be simply a nvidia driver issue.

You could also underclock the gpu and its memory to see if it helps. I had a nvidia card in a laptop that would crash , and it turned out to be a known bug. The way to solve it was slightly under OR overclocking it.

Fwiw I recently had a weird problem with a new system and a hd7850. The system wouldn't start with the external card versus igp until after many reboots.

After hours of testing different components, I discovered it was the video card. Even though it worked fine in other systems and had no bsods under stress. In this system it wouldn't be seen until it had literally been warmed up. I verified this by putting it in after manually heating it with a hair dryer and the system booted right away.

The replacement card they sent even though they expressed their doubts it being the card, has worked fine.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    maybe this did go under

i changed the outlet and after this i dont have any more errors, be it in furmark or lol.
    so right now everything is running as it should