Home Unreal Engine

UDK - Pitch Black Shadows

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
Hey to,

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to avoid pitch black shadows in UDK?

Currently, in the editor I have Precomputed Lighting which works, but once I jump into "Play", it stops working.

BTVpAdA.jpg

Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiny bump, I played around with every option available for lighting and such, but no avail. I'm using Dynamic lights, non baked by the way.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Tiny bump, I played around with every option available for lighting and such, but no avail. I'm using Dynamic lights, non baked by the way.

Bake the lighting and you will not have this problem. Using only dynamic lights is not really possible without major changes to the engine.

The ambient values for dynamic lighting comes from a network of baked in points that combine the environment world properties with nearby lights when you bake. You should also have a light mass importance volume.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lightmass.html#Character%20lighting

Info above
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Sprung, I guess I have to bite the bullet :(
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    Well, you CAN use only dynamic lights, and not bake them, at a HUGE performance hit (mostly in shader complexity, I believe, but some in drawcalls for shadows, and who knows what's going on in under the hood ticks)...

There's an option under worldproperties>lightmass (I think) that says 'force non-precomputed lighting for this level?' or something like that. Then you'll have to add a skylight. Then you'll have to flip on dynamic shadows for things you want to cast shadows.

For a simple game-jam project, a demo, anything with simple or minimal art, you can totally get away with this. For anything remotely resembling triple-a, you probably don't want to go down this route.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    If you want to use real time lighting, try the skylight actor to brighten up that black shadows.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I am just doing a simple project in privacy, nothing major and didn't want to do bother with Lightmapping since I'm on a single PC and the baking times would be insane.

Cheers for the Skylight, didn't know about that use for it :D