Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Adeptus Astartes

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
--LATEST PROGRESS--
astartes_wip_3.jpg

--ORIGINAL POST--

For quite some time now I wanted to make my own reinterpretation of the so well known 40k Space Marines. As much as I enjoy the stories and some illustrations of them I'm quite bugged by the impracticality of their design and frankly think they're quite outdated.

But obviously there is an attraction to them. The clean powerful shapes of the highly durable armor said to hide a full exo-skeleton, life support system and lots of other technicalities, along with its extremely physically enhanced wearer, making the Astartes close to walking tanks if one considers the explosive abilities of the bolter ammunition.

To cut it short, I wanted to create my own version of them and try to make them as I imagine, yet staying true to the original, maintaining recognition.

These are the refs I'm mainly using at the moment.
astartes_reference_lores.jpg
medieval_armor_reference_lores.jpg

Started sketching some time ago. Quite crude but I liked the feel and was ready to start modelling.
astartes_wip_0.jpg

Current progress. Still in the block-out stage. Loads of things left to refine and add to.
The human figure was the first thing I made, trying to wrap my head around their excessive proportions.
astartes_wip_2.jpg

As soon as I had the whole armor I made the rig so I could start posing and check for any practical errors.
astartes_wip_1.jpg

Not sure what I'll tackle next. Lot of stuff to choose from, mostly constructional issues, like how the shoulder pads actually attach.
I also need to resolve how the exposed areas should look as well. I'm temped to go with the popular crysis-style type of suit.

Replies

• AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Made a concept of what I'm aiming for more or less.

astartes_wip_3.jpg
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm definitely digging where you're headed with this. As far as my 2 cents goes, I think the plate guarding the inside of the elbow would be more restrictive to motion than helpful, the neck and thighs look too long proportion-wise, and I think the backpack is entirely too small. Keep in mind that the original design had an exaggerated, strong silhouette by necessity and keeping the backpack and pauldrons slightly oversized will keep visual interest as well as guide the viewer's eye towards the head and chest.

Looking forward to seeing more of this as it evolves.
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Looks cool dude! Nice concept, that final posed version is gonna be awesome. Definitely recognizable as an Astartes.

The hands feel too small, like they should be 1.5x the size they are now (even in the anatomy reference blockout).

Other than that, there are some pieces of the armor that don't seem to be the right scale compared to a typical Marine... but since you seem to have a pretty good grasp of the reference material and you said you're changing parts of the design, I assume that's intentional.

Keep up the good work!