Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - World of Games - Tekoppar

Tekoppar
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
The first thing I thought of when I read the information about the challenge was how games can be used to escape reality.

So the scene I thought up is a regular boys room, with a boy playing video games. This don't scream much of escape, so I thought the camera would be looking into the boys room from outside his door. On the wall left to the door, there will be 2 shadows from his parents fighting. I want his cloths and backpack to be a bit torn and dirty, from bullies bullying him. I also want the colors of everything except the TV screen to be desaturated and the colors of the TV to be bright and warm, to imply that the life in games is better.

I haven't really thought what game I want being displayed on the screen, the first thing that came up was to have a game about dreams that boys always have at a young age. Astronaut, cop, secret agent or a fireman. You know just regular dreams a young boy have. But then I thought that it could showcase a Sims like game. The scene would be in the backyard of a house with 2 adults (representing his parents) and a kid, playing and having fun. The scene would then represent what he actually wants. But I don't know if thats just to much.

Heres a picture from my mood/reference board, I'm just gonna call it the board.

The Father: As you can see from the picture I have a very specific look for the father and thats because Conan fits perfectly into the look I want.

The mother: I don't know any specific person that still dress likes that but its the generic stay at home mother in the 50's look.

Artstyle of the father and mother: I wanna give them a lowpoly look that will help give them a hard, sharp and cold feeling coming from their shadows.

The Carpet: I don't know what that kind of carpet is called, but I've always wanted to have one myself, I also think since those carpets are comfy. It should help aid that hes room is safe and comforting. This carpet will only be in the boys room. I thought about having wood or another hard surface outside the boys room to help show that it's cold and unwelcome outside his room.

The Boys Room: The only thing thats set in stone when it comes to the boys room is that I want an a similar artstyle of Pixar and Dreamworks. No matter what you do in that style it gives of a warm and comforting feeling. The room is gonna have a lot of strong bright colors.

Schedule

21-30th of mars: Not gonna be able to work seriously on this until this date.
31-13th of mars: All the base meshes should be ready.
14-18th of april: If any sculpting needs to be done, it should be done by this date.
19-20th of april: All the texture work should be finished.
21-29th of april: The placement of the meshes inside UDK should be finished.
30th of april: Lightning, shader work and everything else that I need should be done.
10th of may: Everything should be done, so I will enjoy a nice cold coke.

Latest view from the scene

worldofgames2.png

highpolytv.png

Replies

• CommonKarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could also have a personification of his escape playing the video games with him, i.e. have an astronaut be his second player (kind of like a calvin and hobbes type of imagination)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    nice, dig it! Think having just the monitor may not convey the message.You could play with his room some, and make a scene of the game he is playing be the room, instead of just having it on the monitor. Would give you a very stark contrast and split of the two "realms."
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting so far. I find the blockout you have right now, while obviously just a rough ref, would really limit how much is visible in the room. Mosse's idea is really cool in that you could effective open the scene up within the scene, still framed by the door, but having the central boy in silhouette holding a controller thats just plugged into the air (of the other world).
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CommonKarl wrote: »
    You could also have a personification of his escape playing the video games with him, i.e. have an astronaut be his second player (kind of like a calvin and hobbes type of imagination)

This is a great idea, thanks.
    moose wrote: »
    nice, dig it! Think having just the monitor may not convey the message.You could play with his room some, and make a scene of the game he is playing be the room, instead of just having it on the monitor. Would give you a very stark contrast and split of the two "realms."

Hmm, well how about having the walls behind the TV not existing and whats left of the walls behind the TV being fragmented off like the world of games is taking over room. So the game hes playing is being played behind the TV.
    Interesting so far. I find the blockout you have right now, while obviously just a rough ref, would really limit how much is visible in the room. Mosse's idea is really cool in that you could effective open the scene up within the scene, still framed by the door, but having the central boy in silhouette holding a controller thats just plugged into the air (of the other world).

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed when I did the blockout. So I thought instead of having it being to the right of the door looking into the room I could have it in the middle, giving me more space to work with then that limited view did. I like the idea about the controller not being plugged into the console but plugged into the air.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a bump to hopefully get some more feedback on what I have since I'm not gonna be able to work on this until the 21th.