Home General Discussion

New Computer Need Advice.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
S_ource polycounter lvl 9
So i'm finally going to buy a new computer. I'm not so good on computers when it comes to the hardware so i would like some advice on what's good and necessary when it comes to brands and performance. I'm going to use it for 3d and gaming.

Software's i use are 3dsmax, photoshop, mudbox, zbrush and i also plan on using udk more.

I have read on polycount about nvidia vs amd and some think that amd is bad for 3d so im wondering if i should stay away from that? And also nvidia cards got something called CUDA but that's mostly important for offline rendering as far as i have understood.

And also do you think it will be any noticeable difference between 1600Mhz and 1866Mhz on Ram?

I'm going to buy the computer as a package from the site komplett, they will build it and all for me.
My cost limit is about 15.000 KR 2.330 USD 1.774 EUR
So here are the ones i'm look into at the moment.

Komplett Gamer Premium i40 - Nvidia Edition 13.495 KR
http://www.komplett.se/k/ci.aspx?sku=10751

Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower, Socket-1155 ATX, Z77, DDR3, 3xG3-PCIe-x16, SLI/CFX, VGA, HDMI, DP, WiFi, BT, UEFI
CPU Intel® Core i7-3770K Processor Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 8MB, 77W, HD4000, Boxed w/fan
Water cooling for CPU Corsair H40 Hydro Series CPU Kylare Socket 775/1155/1156/1366, AM2(+)/AM3(+)/FM1, 2000 RPM, 81 CFM, 27 dBA
RAM Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT 16GB kit (8GBx2), Sport,1600MHz, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24
Graphics card MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0, "Power Edition" GDDR5, DL-DVI-D+DL-DVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort
SSD Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 128GB BULK Bulk, Kun til Komplett PC, uten software og emballasje
Hard drive Western Digital® Desktop Green 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, (SATA 3.0), RPM = IntelliPower, 64MB, 3.5"

Komplett Gamer Premium - GTX 680 Edition 14.995 KR
http://www.komplett.se/k/ci.aspx?sku=10580

Motherboard ASUS P9X79 LE, Socket-2011, KUN PC-PROD ATX, X79, 8xDDR3, 3xG3-PCIe-x16, SLI/CFX, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, UEFI, BULK
CPU Intel® Core i7-3820 Processor Socket-LGA2011, Quad Core, 3.6GHz, 10MB, 130W, Boxed, no fan included
RAM Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT 16GB kit (8GBx2), Sport,1600MHz, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24
CPU-cooler Intel® Air Cooling for Socket-LGA2011, Boxed
Graphics card - GTX 680 EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0, with Assasin's Creed III
SSD Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 128GB BULK Bulk, Kun til Komplett PC, uten software og emballasje

Komplett Gamer Premium a50 14.995 KR
http://www.komplett.se/k/ci.aspx?sku=10713

CPU AMD FX-8350 8-Core Processor Socket-AM3+, 4.0Ghz, 125W, 8MB L2 + 8MB L3 Cache, 32nm, Black Edition
Water cooling for CPU Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Kylare Socket 1155/1156/1366/2011, AM2(+)/AM3(+)/FM1, 2000 RPM, 54 CFM, 30.85 dBA
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, Socket-AM3+ ATX, 990FX+SB950, DDR3, 4xG2-PCIe-x16, CFX/SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, UEFI
DDR3
RAM Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1866MHz 16GB KIT Kit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27, 240pin
Graphics card X2 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0, with Crysis 3 and BioShock: Infinite
SSD Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 256GB SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 500MB/260MB/s read/write, KPC
Hard drive Western Digital® Desktop Green 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, (SATA 3.0), RPM = IntelliPower, 64MB, 3.5"

Komplett Gamer Premium i60 - GHz Edition (-keyboard & mouse) 15.568 KR
http://www.komplett.se/k/ci.aspx?sku=10718

Motherboard ASUS P9X79 LE, Socket-2011, KUN PC-PROD ATX, X79, 8xDDR3, 3xG3-PCIe-x16, SLI/CFX, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, UEFI, BULK
CPU Intel® Core i7-3930K Processor Socket-LGA2011, 6-Core, 3.2GHz, 12MB, 130W, Boxed, no fan included
RAM X2 Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT 16GB kit (8GBx2), Sport,1600MHz, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24
Water cooling for CPU Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Kylare Socket 1155/1156/1366/2011, AM2(+)/AM3(+)/FM1, 2000 RPM, 54 CFM, 30.85 dBA
Graphics card - HD 7970 XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0, "XT2", with Crysis 3 and BioShock: Infinite
SSD Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 256GB SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 500MB/260MB/s read/write, KPC

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    We really need a sticky.

I doubt very much Komplett are going to ship you a water cooled unit ready to go; so unless you've installed one of those yourself in the past, I'd avoid it. A decent aftermarket cooler should be fine for you.

My recommendation for SSD would be Samsung 840 (non-pro).
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    S_ource wrote: »
    And also do you think it will be any noticeable difference between 1600Mhz and 1866Mhz on Ram?

For games, no, I ran across a benchmark recently (can't find it back atm), and the difference between the slowest and the best ram was about 1-2 frames per second.
    So unless you are running programs that push around tons of data (mathematical/offline rendering) then 1600 is more then enough.

Together with this, socket2011 costs more, and is only really usefull if you really need those extra cores (so for game related things socket1155 with a 3770k is more "bang for your buck").

And as I understand it, it's not more futureproof, since both sockets will get replaced by a new one for the haswell cpu's.

So only spend money on faster ram (1866 and above) and a socket 2011 cpu if you do those things.
    If that only is a small portion of what you do, it's better to put that towards a better GPU.

You can also scrap the FX-8350 option, there may be some debate about this, but unless you cherrypick the benchmarks, it's not gonna be outperforming a 3770k (or even a i5 3570k).
    Only real reason to get the AMD is if you go for a lower budget pc (700-800'ish range).

ati does seem to slightly edge out in actual games(due to drivers), but if I remember correctly, Unreal/UDK does seem to prefer Nvidia. (and to a certain extent 3dsmax)
    I would personally say that nvidia is a "safer" choice.

In my opinion that leaves the first option as the best, but only if you spend the difference on a better gpu (680 or 7970, or a crossfire/sli combination that performs as good/better).
    And scrap the H40 for a H80i (but unless you are overlocking or want your pc really silent get a decent air cooler.

If that isn't possible (and you don't have a need for the socket2011 cpu's), maybe you know someone that can assemble the pc for you, so that you can buy seperate parts? (because neither of the options listed is really perfect imo).

edit:

And if you don't plan on overclocking (and are 100% sure that you will never touch that) there is no real reason to spend more money on the "K" versions of the intel cpu's.
    (if the price difference is large enough (20-40+euro) in swedish shops).
    And if you go that route, also no reason to pay the money for a motherboard that is more geared towards overclocking.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you think your processor is going to be used more for gaming than art (baking etc.) you could easily drop down to a K i5.

By the way, you should consider waiting. Intel have their new chips out soon.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Assuming you can build your own

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Since this for for CG, go for more RAM, only one GPU, and stick to Nvidia.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Andreas wrote: »
    If you think your processor is going to be used more for gaming than art (baking etc.) you could easily drop down to a K i5.

By the way, you should consider waiting. Intel have their new chips out soon.

they've been saying "soon" for a while. they're what... 6 months overdue already??
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Last I read was early June, Andreas. But most of the goodies wil be in the igp, while overall being more energy efficient. I haven't read any wowzers for what the new cpu can do.

Ddr4 wont make it with the Haswell core, and most benefit for that will be in mobile and servers with less voltage needed. Or Igp systems where that added memory bandwidth really helps.

In other words there isn't much reason to wait other then cheaper prices on Ivybridge, or if Amd makes an actual pci-e 3.0 chipset for the FX (amd makes an FX with lower wattage requirements).
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they've been saying "soon" for a while. they're what... 6 months overdue already??

http://www.overclock.net/t/1351418/xbit-intel-starts-production-of-next-generation-haswell

I was just mentioning it in case he thinks he can wait. I recently started an AMD APU build but no one bothered to mention there were new chips dropping in March :poly136: which irks me, so just thought I'd give him a heads up.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    get another HDD or some other way of making backups of your work regularly (DVDs do not count). could even be a USB drive. Just make sure you back up often. You don't want to lose your folio when your "work" HDD quits. SSD + 2 HDDs (1 work, 1 backup) is pretty much a must (you're still fxxked when a truck/lightning/falling piano hits your PC, but therefore you'll also get a USB drive and things like dropbox/skydrive).

nVidia vs AMD... go for nVidia if you can. But recent AMD cards aren't as bad as their reputation. Got one myself and I still have to find a fault, other than it doesn't run CUDA stuff.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies.

So i think i will go for one with nvidia, and i also think i will buy the second one i posted but with maybe a 256gb ssd and i'm also thinking about taking 4gb for the vram but that might be overkill?

And what os should i use, 7 or 8?

i will use the computer for about 50/50 gamaing and cg.

Andreas: I cant wait since my last comp is broken (tried to fix it/and the parts are pretty old anyway so i think its better to buy a brand new) so i really need a new one, i'm using an old computer now and its really slow it got like 512mb ram :P .

Kwramm: I think i will put my old HDD in the new comp. And i also have an external backupp HDD :) .

joeriv: I doubt i will touch overclocking.

Thanks again for the help, i appreciate it.

:)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1351418/xbit-intel-starts-production-of-next-generation-haswell

I was just mentioning it in case he thinks he can wait. I recently started an AMD APU build but no one bothered to mention there were new chips dropping in March :poly136: which irks me, so just thought I'd give him a heads up.

Thats production. Not release. There is no March release.

Late May.

http://www.techspot.com/news/51404-intel-to-launch-haswell-just-days-before-computex-on-june-2.html
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Thats production. Not release. There is no March release.

Late May.

http://www.techspot.com/news/51404-intel-to-launch-haswell-just-days-before-computex-on-june-2.html

I was talking about the AMD APU's; read my post.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    AMD FX 8350 OC vs i5 3570k OC Using an EVGA GTX 670

Hmm
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did. You made no mention directly what you were corresponding to was for AMD alone. All you stated was you wish someone had told you before you started your AMD build.

That being said, I did assume you were talking about both since you weren't explicit. So I apologize for that assumption.

BUT I do want to point out what you linked to was for HASWELL chips NOT AMD.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because I was replying to Gir. And because OP is building an Intel rig. Then I went on to offer an anectdote of mine. Sorry you got confused.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did buy the Komplett Gamer Premium - GTX 680 Edition and it works great. One anoying thing is that a few days after i bought it they started a campaign where you get double the ssd space for free.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is annoying; but that's a good rig right there. Plus you don't want any ol' SSD in your chassis. Glad you got a box together :)
  • Zombiecrackers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zombiecrackers polycounter lvl 5
    Kwramm wrote:
    nVidia vs AMD... go for nVidia if you can. But recent AMD cards aren't as bad as their reputation. Got one myself and I still have to find a fault, other than it doesn't run CUDA stuff.

Agreed with Kwramm I tend to stick to nVidia stuff, I personally find them more high quality than the AMD cards, plus I used Blender a lot well I am working and AMD cards and Cycles don't tend to work that well with each other.