Home General Discussion

Dreamworks Layoffs

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
tottot polycounter lvl 10
I just read/heard up to 350 layoffs at Dreamworks, can we start fixing this industry now please?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jeffrey-katzenberg-dreamworks-animations-very-424699

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Nothing a lil duct tape cant fix...
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Doh. I really like their work. But I thought they wanted to open a studio here in Shanghai? haven't followed this though.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    That sucks! Even though, not all of their movies were awesome, Dreamworks seemed to be an amazing place to work at. I guess nobody is above viewership scores (sadly) :(
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are things really that bad economy wise that in order to avoid mass layoffs and closure, you need to have a massive success? If thats the case, something is critically wrong with the business model in film AND games.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    It's the same as most other industries from what I can gather. The money is there, and there's plenty to pay everyone, but there's a few greedy fucks at the top soaking it all up.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats almost TOO much to believe. If thats the case, why arent all of us on strike demanding a change?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah, it's probably a stretch since I don't know the actual numbers, but when I see 'record breaking sales/profit' constantly I have to wonder. In Dreamworks' case it's because a movie underperformed, but with Pi they won an award specifically for VFX. Blargh.

I don't really know enough overall to speak anything as truth, but man it sure feels messed up heh.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im sick of just reading about this and doing nothing, I really want to get some hard figures and people who know what theyre talking about and make change.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Always wondered why 3D/2D artists or game devs in general don't have some kind of labor/traders union going on... Especially in this day of mobile and indie games, it doesn't seem impossible to put the pink-slip happy companies in their place when self funded/independent can be successful.

This is really sad though, hope everyone lands on their feet :(
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Always wondered why 3D/2D artists or game devs in general don't have some kind of labor/traders union going on...

Seriously, why dont we?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    bounchfx wrote: »
    It's the same as most other industries from what I can gather. The money is there, and there's plenty to pay everyone, but there's a few greedy fucks at the top soaking it all up.

Damn this news sucks, Dreamworks... no one is safe It seems.
    Best of luck everyone who got laid off, your amongst the 10+million others.

Rant:
    Anyone still think other people are just quacks about the global agenda yet? ...

All of this and the mindset that they have to keep getting more profit and are not willing to take a loss or two, I have a set number in my head of what I'd need to survive obviously in some of these greedy people that number is infinite. I'd love to see them take it with them when they pass on... I don't see the point of obtaining so much wealth that you can't even spend It. I feel like they are like, "hey look at my number, what's your number now?". Aww you got a higher number than I do I know how to fix that, dials, hey lay off some people I need to get back into the lead with my friends/competition over here.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems everyone is on the same page, that enough is enough, why dont we do something about it?
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Don't read the article unless you have a bottle of booze near by, it's depressing: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/195ysb/in_case_you_werent_aware_of_just_how_bad_the/

I didn't know Activision was laying folks off either, including at Treyarch. I guess making a billion dollars in a week is still bad for a game dev company.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha I just tweeted about this, we can't just sit by and do nothing
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe it just seems like I'm seeing big layoffs everywhere because I hang around polycount but, it reached ridiculous levels long ago. I never worked in the industry and I hardly ever do any art anymore but seeing these threads pop up pretty much every week is really depressing and paints a very negative picture of the industry when right above such threads we have banners that show off incredible work, made by people who might not be able to find a job or were let go.

It's like no one gives a shit about talent anymore.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    There's no single cause for all these closures. There's many. I don't believe it's all "greedy execs". Yes maybe in some cases, but we as industry also need some introspective and look what going wrong right at the studio floor.

Especially in games we still have a lot to learn and we can start right where we are. There's still so many studios where people complain about non existing pipelines, about random management, about missing task tracking, about missing asset tracking, about bad task scheduling. Those places deserve to go under if they cannot improve. I won't even talk from outright artist abusing places like Team Bondy.
    That's the only way we can improve. We need to learn from our mistakes, throw away the crap and start over and do it right! Just doctoring on a broken company and keeping the corpse alive with subsidies and by chasing tax breaks doesn't help us as industry in the long run.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that needs to be done and almost refuse to believe that it's as simple a problem as greedy execs, but just talking about it does nothing. Are we all going to sit here and wait for indie start ups to hire us? This industry needs to turn around. What can we do, on an individual artist level, that matters?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    well I cannot offer advice, I'm an "evil" outsourcer. Apart from the fact that you cannot fight globalisation, I don't see us stealing jobs. Without us some games wouldn't be made at all. So we might create 60 jobs in China, but also 20 in the US, which wouldn't be there if there were no means to make the game at all because it would simply be over budget.

As artist my choice was to adapt. I believe that labour with very limited artistic freedom (such as modeling realistic assets from concepts) will keep moving to wherever it's cheap and wherever there's talent (China, Vietnam, or the next tax-break-heaven). The sooner people accept this the better because on an individual basis we cannot fight globalization. The textile workers who worked decades ago in the US and Great Britain, who were also better organized than us, experienced this too.

Back in that time being a textile worker was a proper job, but today nobody in the West would want to be one, nor would they find a job even if they wanted to. I think in the long run this may also apply to grunt work in our industry. If you're a grunt now, learn, specialize, become better or get additional skills. And be prepared to move.

I don't think that it is realistic - even if you love your job and even if you fight the system via a union - to expect to find work at the grunt level until you reach retirement age. It's like PS2 artists thinking they don't have to adapt, but times change.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adapt [grunt work] until retirement? At that rate/with that mentality there is no retirement.
  • Mrskullface
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    TehSplatt wrote: »
    How come people always say shit like "omg why dont we go on strike?" fuck that i need money Im not going to give up my job just so 100 other people can try take my spot and leave me with nothing.

but you're missing the bigger picture. We are core parts of the business, so when profits are up thanks to a huge part by us, do you think it's right to be forced to work additional hours, at less pay, so that higher ups can take 50x bigger bonuses than any other country and report to shareholders they are more profitable than ever, all at our expensive?

It's a much bigger problem than the games or vfx industry, and from what I am aware it usually comes from being a publicly traded company that needs to show green every shareholder meeting at whatever the cost, plus a healthy dosage of being a greedy douche that values his own bank account number versus the lives and health of those that made his wealth (and those new 'record profits') possible.

basically, if you're willing to fire people and jeopardize your employees lives when they have been doing exceptional work, all to impress shareholders or bolster your bank account, you're an ass hole.

unfortunately there's also a lot more factors at play in regards to outsourcing over seas and whatnot, but ffffff, had to do a mini-rant myself there. Apologies.
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    If we had a union, I think more of the jobs would go elsewhere.

This stuff sucks, but there isn't really anything to be done about it. The industry is going through some changes right now. We simply have to adapt.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Been saying this for years, nobody ever did anything about it.

My advice now?

Learn Mandarin.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Chinese outsourcing is getting too expensive. You'll find that outsourcing is even starting to move away from India at the moment.

If you want to be competitive in the next 3-4 years, learn Vietnamese.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    or you specialize and/or move up the hierarchy and stay.
    We outsourcers have an interest that our clients stay healthy and competitive. Wouldn't cut off the hand that feeds us. And at least in my company we have no desire to compete with clients in actually making games. There will always be need for artists on their side too for integration, feedback, art direction, additional artwork, pipeline-dev, coding, etc. Plus our clients still have much more experience in certain areas. Industry vets are much rarer in countries like China; but there's lots and lots of raw talent coming from art schools.

And when it comes to AAA outsourcers that can easily provide 50 - 100 people working on your next Ubi/EA blockbuster then there's only very few studios worldwide (basically in China, Taiwan, Japan, US, EU) who provide acceptable quality. Many of the really cheap chinese shops are still in the "barrels-crates-and-mobile" stage or they deal will very small batches of assets. It's the kind of studios which randomly spam forums like polycount, tech-artists.org or on linkedin to advertise their services.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    The system has been doing this for decades, bubble = burst, bubble = burst and it is nothing new. Once the bubble bursts the public bear the brunt of the cuts, redundancies and inflation. The austerity hammer is a quick “fix” solution to underlying problems with the system mainly it is unsustainable and dated but sadly it is a western created culture that continues to breed fear across the globe. It saddens me because we have really come so far from WWII in science and technology and even today with all the doom and gloom there is innovation and a change of attitude toward the future but the people who run the world are short term big gain thinkers. The scary part is that physics can now prove that we are ALL living well beyond our means as the planet has only enough resources for around 50 years at the rate we are using them, so everything we have today has come at a cost.

People are afraid to take risks today because you can lose everything if your risk goes tit’s up and so the same old same old continues regardless. My personal view is that science is our only way forward, solutions will come from scientific advancements but we are going to come very close to human extinction before these advancements arrive. The scientific community are aware of this so you can imagine the pressure they are under, the governments across the globe are cowards pure and simple.

Good luck to all the people at Dreamworks. I am tired of wishing people well who are now redundant because of a system that is failing us all miserably.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Sucks to hear about those at Dreamworks. I hope they can land on their feet. That being said, when it comes to strikes and unions, sadly it isn't going to happen.

In order for a strike to be effective you need to be in a position that can't be outsourced or replaced with scabs. You need to be in a position where your work is the bargaining chip and without it, the work machine grinds to a halt. In most cases for that to work, you also need a majority. That is why unions were effective back in the day. They promoted solidarity to the workers towards a common goal. Hard to open a factory or construct a building when your laborers won't come in and there is no one to replace them.

And that's the catch isn't it. Our market is over saturated with talent. If you quit your job there are hundreds if not thousands of people who are hungry to snatch it up. If you go on strike, well most of us probably work in "right to work" states and we can just be fired. "Oh, you wanna strike? Well, here's a box with your stuff in it, we've already found your replacement." There is no organization for solidarity and there probably won't be one. With the saturation how do you get the guy who has been out of work for months since his contract ended to stand beside you when he's next in line for a job? How would you handle outsource companies being on board?

I'm not disagreeing that there really needs to be a change but with the level of saturation and the plethora of game and visual arts schools pumping people into the field...well...good luck with that.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Joopson wrote: »
    If we had a union, I think more of the jobs would go elsewhere.

This stuff sucks, but there isn't really anything to be done about it. The industry is going through some changes right now. We simply have to adapt.

You are right that computer games employees don't have a union.

However the dreamworks film division, as mentioned in the article, are covered by TAG (http://animationguild.org/) or IATSE (http://www.iatse-intl.org/)

• tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasnt suggesting a strike, nor am I the unemployed guy convincing people to quit their jobs (eyeing you Teh Splatt), currently Im the one "adapting" to this industry working on projects as freelance and though it is possible to sustain an income and lifestyle this way, it shouldnt be the future of the industry.

Since a strike was mentioned, if there were to be a strike it would have to be ideal in that everyone participated to send a message. I highly doubt entire teams would be replaced simply as a matter of principle. But who knows, thats why I never said we should strike.

There can be more effective mature methods to handle this, quality control or petitions. Its always easier to want to hold some exec accountable, but unless youre holding their paycheck in front of everyone its near impossible to change it. A reform needs to happen in some manner that prevents this industry from collapsing upon itself and simply adapting to these problems isnt a long term solution.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot wrote: »
    currently Im the one "adapting" to this industry working on projects as freelance and though it is possible to sustain an income and lifestyle this way, it shouldnt be the future of the industry.

Then you're ahead of a lot of people because it IS the future of this industry.

Unlike other industries, we don't need people to work in studio all the time. So why pay salary and benefits when you can just outsource/contract that position out?

This is why a union won't work for us. Local workers don't want to work? Ok, there are other countries that will bend over backwards for work. The internet and globalization has made this the reality. Embrace it or go home.

It's shitty, but that's how it is.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you saying that we're moving in a direction where we're just hired guns, hopping from job to job as the norm? Im not saying thats not a possibility, but it sure doesnt develop teams.

edit: I guess if entire teams were outsourced that could be a possibility, but that sounds alot like the current 3rd party model we have now.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The Redditors talk about f2p and mobile "taking away" customers from console games as if we aren't actually making games in this field. From what I've seen, AAA console development is the suckers game with only a few top dogs and everyone else begging for scraps until they get laid off.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot wrote: »
    Are you saying that we're moving in a direction where we're just hired guns, hopping from job to job as the norm? Im not saying thats not a possibility, but it sure doesnt develop teams.

edit: I guess if entire teams were outsourced that could be a possibility, but that sounds alot like the current 3rd party model we have now.

The industry goes through cycles.

All the people getting laid off will form teams and make smaller / indie games. Then they will grow and grow, then the cycle will repeat.

The nature of the industry is leaning towards strong core teams with contractors or outsource houses. This keeps the budgets down. It's better to contract people or outsource so you don't have to lay off your team at the end of projects. Building a large team and having to lay them off at the end of the project doesn't help build teams either.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    What Skanker said. If you don't want to get into a mass layoff stay out of companies with multiple hundreds of people employed. at some point it's likely to happen - especially in a publicly traded company. That's the nature of business - in ALL industries. No unionization will stop that from happening - as this Dreamworks incident proves.
    A union could help other ways - job placement, layoff recovery, networking etc. etc. - but don't expect it to grant you a great deal more security.

This is a rapidly shifting industry - probably more subject to change due to tech advancement and market changes than any other (that i can think of) and it's going to continue to be so.

If you really want to escape the threat of a layoff then make your own trail. outsource, start a studio, make freaking HTML 5 games if you have to... but if you work for (EA, Activision, etc) expect a decent measure of axe threats. It's a trade off that everybody should be aware of when they take the job.

I am all for a union - I think it could be incredibly helpful in what is largely a project based industry (game released - you probably need a new job) - but it would only do harm if it kept companies from shedding employees they're not using.

i'm also opposed to the whole concept of a publicly held company...even though i work for one. The priorities are LEGALLY REQUIRED to be top heavy - shareholders, execs, profits, futures, customers/audience/media, THEN employees (maybe). it's the nature of the beast - if you don't like it don't get in it's path - or at least don't be suprised when it swallows you whole and shits you out.

small studios and outsourcing IS the future. If it's not we're all doomed to get screwed by suits for a very long time...so embrace it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    The "Dream work" has become a Nightmare... very very sad news.

If you plan to create an union, beware... you may be fired!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Blaizer wrote: »
    If you plan to create an union, beware... you may be fired!

Also, if you even mention unions in an interview don't expect to get hired.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    co-ops ftw!

Co-ops would be a good option for a lot of indies and those looking for a sustainable, long-term career. They allow for profit without the requirement of constant growth. I'm surprised more people haven't chosen this option.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    So, what would it take to make a successful co op?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    a good number of talented people willing to gamble some sacrfices in the short term for success in the long term - and a thriving community of people who keep in touch and help eachother out..wait...