Home Artists Looking For Work

Portfolio Critique - Making it Worth Hiring Over

Valtyr
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Valtyr polycounter lvl 11
Hello! I'm working to bolster my Modeling Portfolio. I could really use a fresh eye. Primarily I'm looking for suggestions from an employers standpoint.

Guiding Questions:
1. Would you hire me into an entry level modeling position?
2. Why would you, or wouldn't you hire me?
3. Recommendations to strengthen my work and presentation.
4. Open door, anything you think will be helpful.

Any suggestions to help me improve my employ-ability are greatly appreciated. More general comments and or critiques are also welcome!

Portfolio link here: http://www.jeanlukeparshall.com/modeling.html

Thank you for your time in advance. I really appreciate it!

Replies

• riowahab
    Offline / Send Message
    riowahab polycounter lvl 11
    Your zbrush sculpt is good, but I cant see "the reflection" on the low poly model.
    Hope this will help :)
  • MiAlx
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Valtyr,

I like your portfolio and your work! I also like the overall presentation of your art. Nice and clean. Love the Dino. Good work!

Some suggestions and what I i noticed.

Regarding the presentation itself:

1) When visiting www.jeanlukeparshall.com, your models should be the first thing we see. Make your modelling page the default page. And if someone wants more after taking a look at your work, he can just go and read your production sub-page. That would work a lot better I think, since you spare the potential employer the navigation time. They will want to see your art first.

2) Maybe scale the thumbnails up just a bit more (only in the modelling page), because now they don't take advantage of the space. They seem a bit "crammed".

Regarding your work:

1) Remove the box and the dice from your portfolio and replace it with something more complex. While the dice shows that you understand modelling etc. it doesn't stop being just a dice. Try doing something a bit more complex. The box, is pretty much completely redundant if you ask me, because your other work totally overshadows it.

2) Texture your models! It can really help sell your work, if you show that you have an understanding for the classic workflow of a 3D artist.

3) In your resume you added 'rigger' as your title together with 'modeller'. You could show some rigs in your portfolio to back that up!

But nevertheless good job and keep it up! Hope that helped! :)
  • Valtyr
    Offline / Send Message
    Valtyr polycounter lvl 11
    riowahab,

Thanks for the help. :)

MiAlx,

Thanks a lot! :D

You make some really good points all around. Thanks for taken the time to crit my work, really appreciate the help.^^

Looked at your animation reel, really good stuff. Nice timing and flow. You matched the animation to style really well. The music isn't intrusive or tiring. Liked the gas mask guys animations the most. Sorta reminded me of a jackal from halo.
  • MiAlx
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    No problem, I wish you good luck on your job hunt! And thanks a lot, i'm glad you like it. :)

See you on the forum!