Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A peculiar way of parking your boat

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
Hellooooo! Thought I'd just post it this in PP instead of sketchbooks (sketchbook section got crazy amount of viewers yo). I'm open to ideas, crits (regarding anything), massages and any kind of love.

I first planned this as a playable level, a circular TDM map with outdoor corridor type of style, however, at the moment OverDose is lacking a bit of game code, which makes play testing difficult (the programmer is kick ass btw). So rather than guessing what it will feel like playing this map, I thought I'd limit myself into a scene instead.

I need goals!
  • Finish my "first" map.
  • Have fun.
You set me up!
  • A industrial dock, intended being a part of a oil refinery (was planning a larger site as backdrop, but its scrapped now).
  • It's not abandoned, will have a some type of foliage though.
What's left to do
  • Everything :P
  • Larger building in the back is structurally done, I need to break up some variations (vertex paint/decals are not there yet, really).
  • Silo is basically done, Some minor detail model are missing.
  • Nearby building is a place holder, but will probably use the same style as the bigger building
  • Fillers are missing
  • The entire bulk ship needs to be done . Will be made up using a variation of vertex paint tiled textures, decals, individual models, but mostly tiled textures.
  • Fillers (Crates, boxes...hummus)
  • Light models
  • Ground will be vertex painted using several materials, but this has to be done last since everything needs to be in place before I start cutting and carving.
  • Right "pier"...not sure what I'll do here yet, probably a metal gate and some fillers.
  • And then a detail model pass (if its needed at that time).
Lighting
  • Main directional light is pretty much where I want it, but I'm lacking quite a lot here. I'll play around with some lights to bring the ship into focus.

So here is kind of the shot I'll be going for. Water is having the old lighting reflection. I'll probably play around with secondary shots. :)

shot_0059.png
Btw, I still dream of pedro in a pink dress...oh the nightmares

Replies

• KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Whooo, not heard anything from Overdose for a while. I look forward to watching this develop :)
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been forgetting to update this :). So what the hell, a small section where I'm trying to fit in some pipes and stuff. Or something :P I should try posting progress shots more often!

shot_0066.png
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    It's looking pretty good. This could be nit-picky but I feel the bricks still need some work, maybe use decals or vertex paint some wear or grime on it. The windows, pipes and the water tower are dirty and shows that its been around for a while, so maybe just some brick grime, I'm assuming the trim is a WIP as well.

Looks good either way, just my suggestion, keep it up :)
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny wrote: »
    It's looking pretty good. This could be nit-picky but I feel the bricks still need some work, maybe use decals or vertex paint some wear or grime on it. The windows, pipes and the water tower are dirty and shows that its been around for a while, so maybe just some brick grime, I'm assuming the trim is a WIP as well.

Looks good either way, just my suggestion, keep it up :)

Thanks! Some crits! :D

And you are very correct about the bricks. Dirt/vertex paint on bricks are planned!

Trims are wips, haven't figured what color I should use for them, so they won't become to contrasty and frame in the building to much. Or maybe they should be doing just that?

(btw, loved your floating mansion scene!)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks nice, though I am worried about the FPS
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah :) It's not so often the fps is shown I suppose. Had some crazy high filtering on, reduced and capped at 30 now ;).

Tried some decals and went on creating some air duct using some tiled textures I made for another pipe-set (!). Still needs plenty of break up variations for most of the stuff. I'll keep on testing some ways to break up without using to many individual assets.

Everything you see here is tiled textures, except pipe-fittings and the vent (quite obvious though, I guess).

Highlights on the airducts are from smoothing groups and not the texture itself. So many things to test, so much fun stuff to do :).

First the small update

shot_0072.png

and a larger view of that area (there are more stuff behind the camera, but it's hidden in shadows atm).

shot_0011.png
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pedro ;) You portuguese stallion!

Well not a huge update here, been doing alot of tinkering with the ivys. Had some issues with my export/convert/material scripts not behaving correctly, so reinstall was in place!

I'll be leaving the ivys alone for a while now to get back to the building instead, adding variations and decals, fixing up where its a bit messed up etc etc. Then move on the ground, and then fillers and then back to foliage I assume!
    shot_0077.png
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update on decals and other tiny stuff that was fixed.

shot_0079.png
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I seriously need to update this more often so I can get critique.

Fixed up the dock a bit and gave it a asphaltish texture. Quite empty atm though.

Sorry about the screen sizes, I'll go through these and reduce them to a more viewble/downloadble size!

shot_0086.png
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Increased ambient brightness, keep on adding decals. Needs alot of loving fillers and ground dirt decals. Thinking of water puddles here and there.

Thanks to Stromberg for his keen eyes.

shot_0095.png
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added doors, roofs, some trims and probably other minor strange stuff. Changed far side windows to balance vertical lines (I think I'll have to do it on a few more places).

Door looks very clean ingame compared to actual texture, maybe cause of the ambient light? I'm outta mentos!

shot_0100.jpg

doorset.jpg
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added catwalks and closed up some gaps here and there, still some places light is leaking through, so I need to patch those up!

Don't know if I'll keep the vertical windows there, haven't decided how to lit that place yet. The catwalks on the big building needs to be adjusted and fixed so it matches this style.

shot_0104.jpg

And here's a better shot of the dock bit, deluxe empty version.

shot_0105.jpg
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More stairs and luzlzl.

shot_0106.jpg
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been swamped with work, so I haven't been able to do much on the scene. I did a block out of the boat and started to try out a way to texture it.

Other than that, I've managed to do two crates :P Talking to Stromberg, I realised I've never done crates before. Guess a man has to loose his crate-ginity some time. And just because I had a lot of time to waste, I made high poly planks.

Good times!

IMG_25052013_234121.jpg

IMG_21052013_230949.png

IMG_21052013_230544.jpg

IMG_27052013_203324.jpg
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so I went back and increased contrast, lowered fog, added a secondary "black" fog to make objects further away more dark. I think I've decided on two main shots that I will work on.

What I will do from now on is:

- add decals to building where it's currently missing it.
    - Finish up the catwalks that are missing
    - Add final detail map objects
    - Touch up the ivy
    - add grass around the edges here and there
    - add darkned back drop buildings to break the sky gradient.
    - ignore the god damn boat.
    - See an end to this madnes.

shot_0127.jpg

shot_0128.jpg
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some grain bags. They all use the same mesh and normals. Made mesh-variations with some FFD modifiers. These are quite large in size, so a few in packs will do.

rsz_grain_bags.png
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mostly foreground update. Light adjustments, grass, botttles...and probably more stuff that I did in my sleepwalking.

Backdrop sexyness in form of big blocks is the new bloom.

shot_0135.jpg
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might need to lower the volumetrics here :P OverDose doesn't have cameras implented (of that I know of)...so I have to slingshot the position of the camera each time :P.

Foreground elements and backdrop elements, some minor addon to the building here and there.

shot_0137.png
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Nice developments. I really like the silhouettes of your new background elements. I think some dim lights around the bases could give some nice gradual contrast against your sky. I know they're not textured yet, just saying :P

The layout from the view looking out at the water really reminds me of the Williamsburg map from Crysis 3.

Nice job on that ivy too :)
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanls Lankus, you planted a idea of base lighting for the backdrop.

Added puddles, fixed up backdrop, lower front light volumetrics, added more ivy, wire(hardly seen), near camera pebbles, newspaper.

I'll add one or two uniqe props (small buoy and life saver...ring..thing), some freestyling ropes and some maybe something else that pops into my cramped brain.

yay.jpg
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minor changes again. Added a bit of warm tone to the lights (might change back to the colder yellowish), reflection to the bottles, tyres to the dock wall (probably have to do something about the wall beeing quite bright atm, and give the water to wall line some type of decal).

Bouy doesn't really feel quite good there, but I've let it be so I can scratch my chin some more.

Some decals on the front building missing (again, damn exporter trolling my life), strange brightness issue on one of the ivy planes...yay!

But it's getting there, hopefully I'll bag this one up at the end of the week.

shot_0148.jpg
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying an alternative version! Went back to a really old UAV model and finished it up, didn't come to mind as a scene object until the potential became clear (thanks Stromberg).

The UAV has a two alternative textures (medic version and military, rendered in Marmoset), I thought the military themed one seem a bit more appropiate to cover up, or something :P. Water puddles disappeared. That's what you get for using a 400 year old editor :D.

I'm going to use this as closure on this scene for now. I have to move on, change engine and have Pedro over for a fishy soup.

near_final.png

UAV_military.png

UAV_medic.PNG
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking that UAV dude!
    Looks really sweet! I wanna see more hardsurface stuff from you!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Indeed, give us some of that hard-surface skills, you swedish party boy :D
    I will be dripping of oil when you do ;)
  • SirSpangles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirSpangles polycounter lvl 4
    really nice job on the pipes and this UAV is pretty cool to. Did you use Zpipe maker?
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw, you guys! All this love makes me dizzy!

SirSpangles: No script used for the pipes. They were made to fit the grid, straight sections of 64, 128 and 256 units, bent sections of 90 and 45 degrees. I did some custom parts where the grid failed me (or I failed the grid) but other than it's not very complex.

Unfortunatley I can't show any break downs since I lost most of the recent work on this scene on a SSD crash this summer :(. But I did manage to dig up a shot of the texture inside of max, a bit more visible :P.

big_pipe_panels.png

The way I did the paneling on the texture made it easier to cut it into sections and still maintain the visual of welding...didn't show up that much in the end though :).
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Well... I'll get my coat old friend. Outstanding.
  • Subtle 1rony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    Looking at your latest image it seems to be washed out from the fogginess and I think it could benefit greatly from more contrast in the lighting. I put a levels adjustment on it for a side by side comparison.

contrast.jpg

The placement of the lights feels good in this shot because they lead the eye into and around the space a bit. Just my passing thoughts. The models and the props are looking great.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Dear friend, why do you insist on not using the colour correction stuff? :P Sure, it can crush colours and what not, but you can create your own, no matter how intense or how faint. They really can make a difference, they don't all need to be piss filter like mine :p

Also, you know the particle system is up and running right ;) Would do some amazing things for a scene in your folio such as this.
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle: Thanks for the crits! One of the biggest struggles was to balance the values while maintaining a depth in the map. I see what you are saying with increased contrast, but I think I just went with the variation to keep the high fog one. I do agree on the colors was washed out, which well...I'll take on to the next piece! :)

Odium: Thanks for the compliment man. I tried to stay away from LUT just to, mostly cause I did not feel I could control it good enough. I think I did a small amount of color balancing post, nothing with a major impact though. Unfortunately, this scene is lost, so I can't got back and add particles :(. I'll see if I can find any of the textures/models prior to the crash and donate them to the SVN :).

EDIT: Found a close up shot of the knife :) It's a classical Swedish Mora knife :)

Mora_kniv.png