Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Hallway

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
neverwander polycounter lvl 7
Hey Polycount! I'm working on a project for my portfolio right (gonna graduate in June) and could use some help. I'm doing a scifi hallway with a kinda industrial Mirror's Edge feel. Here is what I have so far:

1GvGOe8.jpg

After chatting with a few of my professors today, a number of them suggested I change up the color scheme. I personally really like the look I have going so far, but I'm biased. So I did some quick shoppin' and came up with some alternatives. Sound off and let me know which one you guys like best!

5WmbYwX.jpg

As always crits and comments are welcome on anything. I know I need to brighten things up and I'm still working on most of the textures trying to find the right amount of grunge, but all suggestions are welcome.

And for those interested, below is the original concept by the amazing Gryphart I based it off of:

a9mAe11.jpg

Replies

• S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Definitely pump up the lighting, and try and add some more of those railing structural bits to help fill out the space. I think for your materials the biggest thing you'll want to add is cubemaps for the surfaces to bring out the reflective qualities in the concept.
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    S2Engine got a point there. The concept depends heavily on filling the scene with interesting detail like those pipes and all the stuff on the ceiling. Also there is more texture and detail to the wall elements.

Go back to revisiting the scene before you go further with the lighting and rendering. I'm sure you will get a really nice piece out of this, if you add more detail to the scene!

Keep up the good work and never give up :D
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice guys! I definitely plan on adding more of the little detail meshes around. Just wanted to concentrate on getting the big pieces looking good first. As for the cubemaps, I've been playing around with Image Based Reflections. They are much more apparent in motion than on still shots though...
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. Think I've got this scene pretty much where I was wanting to take it, but am open to crits. Rip it apart! Will make changes when I can, but already started my next project.

XeRPl4t.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I really like the concept's a lot. I can't tell if youre going for that or not. It's very dark and low in contrast as far as lighting goes, and that's fine. I would try and make the tint lesser by a lot if not totally remove it. It's just too much. I would just work on whites and greys for everything except the green objects.

Also the edge wear on your metal is over the top and makes it not look like metal but chalk on a dirt cement slab. I would but the wear mostly in the spec and make it shaped more realistically. Put a very very VERY slight amount of the edge wear in your diffuse but not much if any or make it darker. I would work on the lighting and material definition on the metal for sure.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any particular reason you didn't make it the color it was in the concept? The yellow variant looks more industrial than the green one does.
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Alex:
    The tint is entirely from the blue lights along the edges of the floor. I did it with Use Emmisive as Static Lighting, and it's been difficult to get it to only affect the area around the lights. I'll see if I can tone it back :P
    Gotta agree the edge wear is over the top. Most of the textures were made in dDo, and its hard to get a good idea of the size of stuff on there. Thinking I might just go back to hand painting the wear in.

@ Mr_Paris:
    Since the concept is from a game that's already been made, I was told to make it my own. So it went from an interior of an offshore platform to a cryostasis ward. I figured a more soothing pallete would be suitable for this, hence the greens and blues
  • _DMage_
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    @ Alex:
    The tint is entirely from the blue lights along the edges of the floor. I did it with Use Emmisive as Static Lighting, and it's been difficult to get it to only affect the area around the lights. I'll see if I can tone it back :P
    Gotta agree the edge wear is over the top. Most of the textures were made in dDo, and its hard to get a good idea of the size of stuff on there. Thinking I might just go back to hand painting the wear in.

@ Mr_Paris:
    Since the concept is from a game that's already been made, I was told to make it my own. So it went from an interior of an offshore platform to a cryostasis ward. I figured a more soothing pallete would be suitable for this, hence the greens and blues

I would avoid using dDo, if you ever want to get a job in the industry they will probably not use it. Furthermore, instead of using that you could be using that time for practicing traditional texturing.

Not trying to be a downer or preach to you just trying to be helpful:)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I would avoid using dDo, if you ever want to get a job in the industry they will probably not use it. Furthermore, instead of using that you could be using that time for practicing traditional texturing.

Not trying to be a downer or preach to you just trying to be helpful:)

Not true at all. I can think of 4 studios locally, two of them quite large ;) (They shall remain nameless, in case this information was supposed to stay under wraps, as I know some workflows they like to keep behind doors.) Its not about what programs you use, its about the end result to be honest. Many people have many different ways of achieving this end result, and some prefer using dDo to get there. Yes, for something for a portfolio or demo, you probably want to stray away from dDo or other programs similar like crazy bump (though even that has some uses in some workflows, so its a definite debate).

I do HIGHLY recommend learning traditional ways of texturing and forcing good habits as soon as possible, and like I said earlier, if this is a port piece, I would stray away from a program like dDo and let your skill set shine. If you can traditionally texture, companies will see that, and you can apply those skills to any style, genre, and workflow. If you use dDo, most of the time you are going to get a pretty generic style throughout your pieces.

Just a thought :) Though, I would say that dDo was actually produced for one of the companies I 'listed', and then later released to the public. I wouldnt say avoid it like the plague, but try to just build that traditional skill set as much as possible!