Home Technical Talk

Just made the Switch to 3DSMax 2013

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
and I am encountering an annoying little issue.

Once I am in an edit poly subselection (poly/edge/face/vertices) I cannot "double tap" the corresponding key to get out of this mode and go back into object mode. You have to manually click on the sub icon again to get back into full object mode which is not helpfull for my workflow.

Does anybody have a fix for this ?

*Edit; I know that you can press 6 to get into object mode but I am really used to just double tapping ha*

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    tried to turn of the keyboard shortcut ovveride toogle?
    Cause I tried what you said in 3ds max 2011 now and I had to do that before it worked.
  • Karaoke_Warrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
    That's strange, I too just made the move to 2013 and the double tap still works.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    In my opinion, you shouldn't have switched, stick to 2012. There is nothing useful new in 2013 and plenty of stuff is broken.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Instead of double tap, press 6 which is "object mode" it basically exits all sub-object modes (vert, poly, edge ect), but this also only works with KBSO turned on which is annoying, so you have to create a custom key bind with some simple maxscript. You don't need to be a scripting guru to start using maxscript to make your life easier. Here's how...

The backstage command for exiting sub-object model is "subobjectLevel = 0" which works with KBSO on or off and works on every modifier. You can type that into the white/pink box in the lower left corner each time and hit enter, but that's more work than it needs to be so you should bind it to a key.

To do that you have to put that in a macroscript, it would look something like this:
    macroScript ExitSubO
    Category:"MyTools"
    toolTip:"Exit sub-object mode"
    buttonText:"ExitSubO"

(
        subobjectLevel = 0
    )

Go Main Menu > Maxscript > New Script, paste the above code
    Tools > Evaluate All, to run it once
    Then go to Main Menu > Customize > Customize UI change the category to "MyTools" and bind it to a key.

Now anytime you press that key regardless of what modifier you have selected or weather KBSO is on or off, you will exit sub-object mode.

Why they don't offer this out of the box has been a mystery for a VERY long time...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and I agree about sticking to 2012, there isn't much to draw anyone to 2013 and plenty to repel people away. If you have to use it, make sure you grab the latest patches and service packs, you're going to need them...
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    You are doomed if you keep using 2013 it looks like a twin brother of 2012 just retarded.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    Instead of double tap, press 6 which is "object mode" it basically exits all sub-object modes (vert, poly, edge ect), but this also only works with KBSO turned on which is annoying, so you have to create a custom key bind with some simple maxscript. You don't need to be a scripting guru to start using maxscript to make your life easier. Here's how...

The backstage command for exiting sub-object model is "subobjectLevel = 0" which works with KBSO on or off and works on every modifier. You can type that into the white/pink box in the lower left corner each time and hit enter, but that's more work than it needs to be so you should bind it to a key.

To do that you have to put that in a macroscript, it would look something like this:
    macroScript ExitSubO
    Category:"MyTools"
    toolTip:"Exit sub-object mode"
    buttonText:"ExitSubO"

(
        subobjectLevel = 0
    )

Go Main Menu > Maxscript > New Script, paste the above code
    Tools > Evaluate All, to run it once
    Then go to Main Menu > Customize > Customize UI change the category to "MyTools" and bind it to a key.

Now anytime you press that key regardless of what modifier you have selected or weather KBSO is on or off, you will exit sub-object mode.

Why they don't offer this out of the box has been a mystery for a VERY long time...

Thank you so much dude! totally worked.

The reason I switched to 3DS Max 2013 is because of 2012 was really buggy for me.. many hotkeys did not work. Actually 2013 is allot more stable for what I am doing (modeling mostly).