Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

So You Want To Make Rocks?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
Yeah..soo tell me, am i doing it wrong?
Please take a look all feed back is appreciated.

Visual Target:
YvPxNrX.jpg

what i have:
3YAHNLZ.jpg

Replies

• ScottP
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    It looks like a good start, but how is that one small rock supposed to mimick your reference pictures?
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I like how it's going right now. I feel it could use a horizontal line or 2 to help give the rock a sense of age and judging from the concepts a more fierce extrusion that help deviate from the rocks main form.. Though I just started on my journey of rock sculpting so I'm interested if you continue to finish this up because I'm looking forward to this kind of reference being imitated correctly.

just don't make a giant turd like me and you'll be fine T_T
    http://i50.tinypic.com/10i8phv.jpg
    ScottP wrote: »
    It looks like a good start, but how is that one small rock supposed to mimick your reference pictures?

And I agree with Scott, you may want to look for another reference of a lone boulder or something that would better show more angles of the object rather than the face of a cliff.
  • ZombieWells
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    Here's a rock a did a while back, I hope that it helps as a visual aid. Its all in Zbrush, but for more complex rock formations I use a combo of Z and 3D coat. You would like to have clear cut and defined areas for your rocks, and try to balance noise and calm as you compose them. As for your reference, if can be broken down into pretty clear layers. Then you can make tiled textures out of them or uniques if you want.

RockSM01a.jpg

rockhelp.jpg
  • Roxxor
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 9
    The tile breakdown is great stuff. Looking forward to the progress on this one, as I struggle with rocks too.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    so my overall target is the first image to be shear and maybe teh proper workflow is to make a good tile and then map it.

so here is some progress there were alot of trial and error and redo's but i think my next step is to make the shapes more defined and shallow like the first image

bgTLn0p.jpg

also wow @zombiewells nice sculpt man hope to get to that level of quality and im curious as to how you manage to sculpt in that surface detail maybe it is a combination of brushes but i'd like to know.

@everyone else thanks for the feedback :D

for the 2nd image i might add those details sparsely
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    @zombiewells how did you get those harsh dramatic shapes? and those cool details? it seems that when i sculpt its always "mushy"
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    @zombiewells how did you get those harsh dramatic shapes? and those cool details? it seems that when i sculpt its always "mushy"

Try using HPolish and TrimDynamic with a Hard round Alpha
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    where do i go from here? or what do you think is wrong with it?

i tried you Hpolish and trim brushes but they tend to smash the surfaces around. I'm not sure if these even read like rocks. I was thinking of trashing this getting better reference and starting over because it seems i'm at the point of no return/recover.

BcG2OgL.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    You're making some good attempts, but it looks like you may be getting caught up in some of the details at the expense of the rest of the thing. You should focus on working from the general to the specific. Get the largest shapes in place first, and then move on to the smaller ones, then smaller, and smaller, until you're finally at individual cracks and scratches.

Find the overall planes of what you're working on. Then tackle the next level of detail.

OkZSIoY.gif
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    i was going to move on but since you created this GIF ill do this section instead i should have something late tomorrow, thanks swizzle

should each planar face be a different mesh or should this whole section be one?
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    here is some progress, not much but it's a start

oKYz6CX.jpg
    then:
    XHFMRm7.jpg
    then:
    rmpxEeF.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Hey that third one is starting to look pretty good PhoenixWolf!
  • fantom
    Hey. This image looks like rocks from Rage. Keep going! :)
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I think you are also working with too many sub divisions for your detail scale. Start with just enough to hold the hard edges and planes, when those are established divide again and move onto the next detail scale. It also looks like you are being a little timid with the sculpting. Get some really big clay tubes and trim dynamic brushes and have at it. You can easily clean up later.
  • Pix
    I'm always curious how people manage to get such sharp results in their sculpts and all these intricate small details.