Home General Discussion

Need help with new PC (currently: Notebook from 2007)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
C86G greentooth
I know there are several similar threads, but I don´t want to take over somebody´s thread.

I´m kinda lost. I´m not into PC hardware, but the last couple of days I´ve been reading and researching everything I can get. I´ve built a machine based on the "700-800"- thread here.

konfig3.jpg

My current machine is from 2007 and so outdated, it´s not even worth mentioning.

I have now components I can use, so I need everything new.
Basically, I want 8GB+ and a decent quad, GTX660 and Bluray drive. That´s all I can say.

My current configuration can be senn in the picture and it´s 816€ (1090USD) but I try to cut it down. I just don´t know where. I know the i7 3770 is quite popular, but are there cheaper alternatives? I mean, currently I´m using an old 2,4 dualcore, so any quad would be a great improvement.

Again, I´m really lost and I need help.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You shouldn't really need an after market cpu cooler unless you really want to over clock your cpu. As long as the case has decent air flow. Also the 2TB HDD is pretty expensive and might be excessive depending on how much space you already use.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Sure about the cooler? From what I read, the stock coolers are not that good and loud.
    I´ve changed the cooler to a cheaper one.
    And currently I am using an external 1TB that has 230gb left, so 2TB is fine.

But I´ve changed the i7 to a Xeon 1230 v2, is that ok? It saves me 50€s.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're anal about sound, get an aftermarket cpu cooler, the default ones aren't the best and are a bit louder than aftermarket coolers. Though you don't need to buy one for heat/performance reason, they work as intended, unless you're OCing.

But just keep in mind, your GPU, PSU, hard drive, case fans etc, might end up making more noise than your CPU. So going quiet is really an entire system thing, not just the cpu fan.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Ok, thanks.

Switching to the Xeon is ok?
  • Spiffy664
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy664 polycounter lvl 6
    I use that heatsink with my OC'd 3rd gen i7, and its pretty effecient. Also you can tune it down when not in heavy loads, which is nice. Before I OC'd, I did not have the cooler, and it ran fine, maybe slightly louder being a smaller fan (small fans = high RPM to move same amount of air = more noise. Big fans, low RPM, more air moved. Make sure you buy some arctic silver 5!!

an odd way to combat noise but you could get very long cords and simply put your desktop away from your monitor / keyboard / etc. You can get extenders for most components. Also, you can buy fan controllers to turn down the speed when not dealing with heat problems / heavy work loads.

Good luck :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most motherboards will let you turn down fan speeds as well, and my cheap asrock board has a little app that keeps it super low and basically silent unless the system is under heavy load. Just with the stock fan too btw. I7 3770.

C86G: From what I understand the Xeons are the same as the I7 but without the onboard video stuff, so if you're going with a dedicated GPU, get a Xeon.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Just to get this right:

Xeon + GTX660 = ok?
  • EarthQuake
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    C86G wrote: »
    I know there are several similar threads, but I don´t want to take over somebody´s thread.

I reckon we need a master thread; people are frequently building. (I'm building again myself) :poly136:

I kinda regret putting an i7 3770 in a Z board... seems like a waste. If you can spring for a i7 3770K I would recommend that; or, maybe even drop down to an unlocked i5?

You might also want to wait for the Haswell chips.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    What about an SSD? It seems like everyone recommends me an SSD...

How much gigs do I need for... let´s say 1 or 2 versions of 3Ds Max, 1 or 2 versions of Zbrush, Photoshop, Win 7?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    C86G wrote: »
    What about an SSD? It seems like everyone recommends me an SSD...

How much gigs do I need for... let´s say 1 or 2 versions of 3Ds Max, 1 or 2 versions of Zbrush, Photoshop, Win 7?

Probably just 128GB for just those programs, but if you're planning on installing some games, bump up to a 256GB.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    128 is pushing it, i bought a 256GB drive just recently as a boot drive, its got win7 and all my programs, im using about 110GB

You dont want to be running out of space on your windows drive really.

Also, if this isnt for gaming, i would drop down your GFX card specs a bit and invest that money into more ram, or a slightly better quality mobo.

Ind if you are buying an Intel chip that comes with a cooler, you are pretty much fine running with that unless you are going to OC. Thing is , if the CPU is mid range, the benifits from OCing dont seem to outweigh the risks,

My 2p