Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some work from hobbyst.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys. I work now on the snowy scene in Unity, but I have few problems with trees. I want to do conifer tree, and I don't know how to do that. Here's what I've got:

1JPG_xaeepnq.JPG

And I think, it's not a good idea, to do trees like that. Can you tell me, how to make those trees? Where to where to look for proper textures for branches?

I'll post more screens, when I'm done my scene. For now I have some concepts, and terrain without textures.

Sorry for english.

Replies

• Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    Conifer trees are pretty neat, not too easy to make though. your approach at the moment is not going to work very well when it comes to volume. you need to think bigger, bigger textures with bigger branches, bigger planes. when it comes to textures for a tree like this I would say go out and take photos of branches against a good background( a sheet or whatever) then mask it out. its not really a good idea to highpoly model pinetree branches, you could however get some kind of results via painteffects( maya as far as I know ) but it wont be so very good.

conifer.jpg
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw your signature Fozwroth "Vegetation Artist at DICE", then I saw link to your portfolio, and wow, this first tree, looks awesome!

Here's what I've got so far:

drzewo_1_ren_000_zpsf9beb066.jpg

Sorry, Fozwroth, maybe this looks like copy of your work, but you post some wires, and textures, this is awesome ref picture.

And I have a question: How to make those leafs more "spatially". Because now they look very straight and it can be see, that they are plane's.

Texture will be made from begginning, I think. I just can't find proper textrues.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, sorry for double post. I add more plane's, and it's look like that:

drzewo_1_ren_001_zps5085a69a.jpg

And now, I'll make textures from beggining. Especially those branches.

It's 855 triangles.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The angle of the branches, and the shape of the leaves do not look like a conifer. The leaves should be bunched to together in a long triangle shape, and the branches should be angled a lot further away from the tree, something like a 60 degree angle.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because this is not conifier :D:D

I choose to do a birch tree. Texture of the branch and leaves will be updated this evening.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Oops read the post wrong, still the branches on birches do spread out more, and the leaves are typically a little less dense than most trees.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing happened ZacD. You make smile on my face :D

Update: new textures of branches and leafs:

drzewo_1_ren_002_zps7f802dce.jpg

diffdrzew_xawnres.jpg

Can someone tell something about editing vertex normals in 3D Max?
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, guys, I have done some progress on my scene. I post some work this evenning. But I have a question:

How od you guys make textrues? I mean photgraphs of nature: sand, branches, grass, rocks, etc. What equipment I need to have to make photos of textures? It's very expensive hardware?

Sorry for english.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a few years ago, you would have needed a fairly expensive digital SLR camera to capture images with sufficient quality. Now, however, cameras have advanced enough so that even inexpensive ones work well enough. I would strongly recommend a camera with an optical zoom (as opposed to purely digital zooms), as they actually enlarge the image rather than just blowing up pixels. I'd also recommend a stand-alone camera, rather than one integrated into a phone or table. Both Nikon and Canon have nice entry-level systems in the $50-$75 range.

For better quality images, I'd strongly recommend a camera that can be mounted on a tripod - this allows you to have more precise control when capturing the textures.

A camera with a macro mode also helps when photographing small objects, but tends to be more expensive.

Finally, you'll need decent photo-editing software. Photoshop is the standard, but rather horrifically expensive. GIMP is a popular free alternative, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

A quick search for "photo texture tutorial" will provide many great links for creating the textures. http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?action=tutorial&name=shootingtextures is a good starting point.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, so I done my small foliage scene:

scenafoliagecalosc.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    And I know, technically it's wrong, but I had some problems with rendering ortographic renders for grass, o use it for textures.

It's 1st scene, which I textured for 100% by myself, so it's small sukces for me.

Thanks for advice. Now I'm making some abstractions, after that, I'll post some work from my game-art work.

Thanks.
  • fantom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not bad as for the 1st something in 3D. Keep learning.

If it's about this tres I think something with scale is a little bit wrong.

Anyway waiting for progress in your works!

Cheers!
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not first time in 3D: I'm in all 3D from 1.5 year, but now I have some inspiration and motivation to do something.

About scale, yeah, you have right.

Can someone tell me what photobucket doing while uploading to them my renders? I render that scene in 1920x1280, and PB scale it to 1024x768. Anyone know something about this?
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, some new WIP: it's small rezolution, cause I work on light, and I have to fix it a little bit.

3D Max and Vray. Inspiration from 3Dtotal.

starozytnabiblioteka.jpg

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most libraries with ladders have rails along the shelves and wheels at the base of the ladder.
    library-ladder.jpg

You should consider adding a walkway at around 2/3 of the way up - those upper shelves are way too far from the higher ladders.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so texturing process started. I have a big question to every user of Vray in 3D Max:

I have a big problem with the specularity on the floor. This is what I've got:

staozytna_xaaaews.jpg

And this is what I want to got:

staozytna_xaaaewa.JPG

I dont want straight specular of the light. I want this curve specs on floor. How can I get that specularity in Vray? Gogle dont want to help me.

Textures are in beta version.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, guys, update time. Still working on this specular on the floor. I almost like the textures. I have to do few fixes with the scene. I'm very excited about that scene. First big project.

3D Max - Vray and Photoshop.

staozytnabiblioteka002.jpg

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You can not get your reflection (not specular) like that, reality dosnt work that way, you can paint them in photoshop, but its right as it is.

I think what you want is light falling in your room, that can have a diagonal shape. But since it would be
    the sun, you could never have them have a different direction, they would all face the same angle
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i should use Standard Material or Arch and Design instead of VrayMtl ?
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I dont have enough motivation to end that scene. I want to go back to game art.

So I decide to make stone throne. And I have a few questions:

This is my base from Max to Zbrush for sculpt:

1JPG_xqpenex.JPG

But I wan't to make all HP model in Zbrush. Can I get those shapes in Zbrush? This is my concept:

szkic1jpg_xqpenwr.jpg

I want to make it like 1 model. And my base have few elements. Can I get some hard shapes directly in Zbrush? I know it's little to complecate, but my english isn't pro. Sorry :D
  • SeanO'Connor
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I change my concept to something like this:

szkic1jpg_xqhwenw.jpg

And here's my 2 sculpt for this part:

sculpttes_xqhwers.jpg sculpttes_xqhwexa.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result, but I think I could say something when I'm done more sculpt.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for double post, but I need help:

I know how to do a simple black and white alpha's, but what if I want to make a very detail alphas for example some ornaments? This is what I want to make to alpha:

1jpg_xqhapaq.jpg

How can I get this into alpha? Because saturation and increasing levels doesnt work (it looks horrible).
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys I need a help: I changed the ornament that I used, and it's look like this:

alphaorna_xqrhswa.jpg

And here's what I've got in ZBrush in after applying Projection Master:

sculpttes_xqrhssh.jpg

You see this? It's dont look good, and I don't know how to change the alpha, to get fine shape of edges on sculpt. Any help?
  • Tiraldric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrafikPL wrote: »
    Ok guys I need a help: I changed the ornament that I used, and it's look like this:

alphaorna_xqrhswa.jpg

And here's what I've got in ZBrush in after applying Projection Master:

sculpttes_xqrhssh.jpg

You see this? It's dont look good, and I don't know how to change the alpha, to get fine shape of edges on sculpt. Any help?

More subdivisions should make the shape cleaner if that's what your after.

Ctrl + D should subdivide it.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys I need a feedback: how it looks? What can I do to make this look better? What is wrong in my sculpt?

tronsiedziskosculptfina.jpg

tronprawypodlokietniksc.jpg

tronlewypodlokietnikscu.jpg

tronlewyobeliskiprawyob.jpg

trontablicasculptfinal.jpg
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, guys, I finish my work on this model. Still I have few graphics problem on that model with smoothing, but I cal it's done. Maybe this bugs came from Topogun, which I used to retopology HP mesh, 'cause when I applied Smooth modifier in Max, nothing happened. Even when I'm editing smooth groups by poligons, it's doesn't work. Maybe it's vertex normals. I don't know.

1100 tris and 2 Maps: Diffuse and Normal: 2x1024.

kamiennytronrender000.jpg
    kamiennytronrender001.jpg
  • SeanO'Connor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What your sculpt needs is more breaks in the form and silhouette. The back of the chair with the runes looks good, but the rest of the chair needs more chips, cracks, and chunky details.

It is very clean at the moment, and though such things can exist in reality, sometimes they do not translate as well in a game.

You had the right idea with beveling those edges in the previous post, but that got lost in the low poly model.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Sean, nice to see you here :)

Yeah, I know that about sculpt, but I just testing around with cracks and damage: when I'm done my sculpts with damages and cracks, it looks horrible, so I decide to make it less damaged. I just need practice :)

What I've notice is when I'm doing surface noise in ZBrush, I must do it more define and strong, because on my sculpts there is noise, but on normal I can't see it. Maybe it's just the resolution of exported object from ZBrush.

About beveling, I just though it'll be right to do that for LP, I don't like the look of hard edges on LP model.

Thanks for visit my thread! :)
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, guys: new WIP: Something similar to tutorial from 3DMotive: I just start.

Maybe I'll do this on 2 engines: Mental Ray from MAx and Unity. This half_transparent something is some Menatl Ray errors (or my fault :D ). But it can't be seen when behind it I have something (now I have environment color):

scenarosl_xqqrhrs.jpg
    123JPG_xqqrpqa.JPG

And know I have question to you, guys:

How I can bake normal and spec map? Is Crazy Bump a good way to do that? And how I can bake AO, if I baked diffuse and alpha in Max?
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, WIP', WIP's, WIP's:

I have done another asset for my small enviro: it's not a PRO, but I almost like the final look of that. I made this several times because I had some problems with viewport and models. But finally it's done. Maybe I'll do a small correct for the tree canopy.

And it's very lot's of tris: 5 138 on one tree. Is it a lot, looking on some production like Skyrim or Witcher 2? In technical aspect.

The textures need to scaling: for branches and main trunk i used 512x1024 diff and normal, and for the leafs I used diff 512x512, Alpha & Normal are 1024x1024. I'll scale it later, I just forgot to make it before render.

scenarosl_nphexew.jpg scenarosl_nphexes.jpg

Colors will be changed to get more contrast.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some changes:

scenarosl_nphaqae.jpg
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scenarosl_nprnerx.jpg

This is finished tree, which will be used in enviro. I think I can make it less density of leafs, but I call it finished :D
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, I made some asset on small challenge in other forum: enviro will be finished after I finish this. For enviro I have already anoother texuture for bushes, so it's almost done.

But: This is screen from Mental Ray, 3D Max. And I have another screens from Unity, I'll post them later.

I need your help to make this look better: this is how it looks for now:

http://s6.ifotos.pl/img/starytele_npeqrnq.jpg
    http://s4.ifotos.pl/img/starytele_npeqrap.jpg

And this is textures:

http://s4.ifotos.pl/img/diffstary_npeqrww.jpg
    http://s6.ifotos.pl/img/normalsta_npeqrws.jpg
    http://s6.ifotos.pl/img/specstary_npeqrwq.jpg

I know this is not the PRO work, but I'm almost happy with the diffuse.

But specular... I don't know why it's not working. This is screens form Max:

http://s6.ifotos.pl/img/1JPG_npeqrsx.JPG
    http://s6.ifotos.pl/img/2JPG_npeqrse.JPG

I need your help: what I can do, to make my render look more better? What I have to watch in tutorials, to make it look better?

If anyone could say anything, I would be very pleased :D

Sorry for PRO english :D
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Your TV is too high poly, you have to many polygons on your TV. If it is a game prop then use a directX shader like xoliul shader not render from max...
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, guys: updates for my small enviro:

scenaroslinnosc023.jpg

scenaroslinnosc022.jpg

scenaroslinnosc024.jpg

And now I want to do some texutre blending for the ground. In the middle I want to do a road, but I don't how to do that on Unity. I try Simple vertex color painter from asset store, but it's doesn't work for me.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I finished: I can't write my shaders in Unity, so it's without vertex color. I tried several tools, but the shaders doesn't work correctly.

scenaroslinnosc026.jpg
    scenaroslinnosc025.jpg
    scenaroslinnosc028.jpg
    scenaroslinnosc027.jpg
    scenaroslinnosc029.jpg
    scenaroslinnosc030.jpg
    diffuses.jpg
    normalsa.jpg

The texture are separate, I just merge them to show it you.

And here's small asset:

starytelewizor009.jpg
    starytelewizor011.jpg

And I know, it's lot of traingles wasted, but I decided to leave that. BTW I based on the ref from 3dmotive video (importing Assets into UDK, and there whas also ~2500 tris, so :D )
  • Subtle 1rony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    I just want to say, doing small studies is the way to go when you're learning. props to you sir, for doing it the right way :)
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, your improvement through this thread is great, keep up the awesome work! You're on a roll!
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shalom !

fkw1.jpg
    n76n.jpg
    hw6.jpg
    pqfh.jpg

I have only 2 GB of ram, so normals are poor, because Max won't import 2 mln polys. And it's decimated. Propably I'll buy some RAM to my PC, and on the few days, maybe weeks, I'll make an better version of the texure above. For now, it's all I can do with my pc.