Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

For the love of CreatureBox....

Owl
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Owl polycounter lvl 6
I really love CreatureBox art so, every now and then I'm going to do some of their stuff.

This is my first one I finished over the weekend. I know I could have kept tweaking it as the proportions are not exact...but I just wanted to do this for fun and practice. So I'm moving on. :)

Basemesh was created in Max, Sculpted and polypainted in Zbrush.

Final touches added in Photoshop. Just the background and noise.

ah7AYQG.jpg

Replies

• Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Nice man! You have all of the elements on it, but I think you need to grab some bits and push and pull a bit to get the shapes and forms the original has, like how far out the chin sticks out from the neck, and how slender the neck gets towards the bottom, and how that bracket thing sits so tightly against the neck bits.

The concept was also drawn with a higher fov than what you are rendering out of. If you're rendering it out with zbrush, you can adjust the fov to be closer to the original, but the fake perspective is still wonky. Fixing the fov might help how low the brow looks and how strongly some things converge in the concept.

These are picky things I suppose, but they are the things that kind of lose the feeling the creaturebox sketches have.

Keep it up man! I look forward to the next one. :)
  • Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Thank man! Ya, I saw some of those things you are talking about... Mainly how some of the proportions are not quite exact to the concept. I agree...

With this guy I was kind of forcing myself to see how good I could get him in a shorter timeframe, so I limited myself to finish it within that time... I am going to try to do some more of these and try to get faster, I haven't been in Zbrush for several months... I've been working on 2d stuff, and still really am focusing on that at the moment, but want to start getting back into Zbrush some too...

He was good practice. :)

Anyways, thanks for the crits! Always appreciated. Must get better. Faster.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Jesse, this is some solid work man! :)

I know you want to move on to the next thing, but I'd totally love to see
    this robot with a full body based off the style of the ref baked out and textured to a game asset. I think it would look friggin awesome. However, I'm sure you want to rock out some more good stuff so you could always do that later.

Only crit: I know you're already aware of some proportions not being exactly as the reference, but the only major one that I would fix would be the neck. If you have it thin out as it comes up to meet the jawline, it will make the jaw shape appear exaggerated like the concept. It also allows the neck to feel more seated within the jaw itself.

I dig it, and can't wait to see more of your - "Bring some Creaturebox to life stuff!"

I gotta go lock down an apartment, ttyls