Home General Discussion

handplane is released!

AlecMoody
ngon master
Offline / Send Message
AlecMoody ngon master
Hi everyone,
We just released handplane. There are a lot of updates from the beta and we now have commercial licenses for sale. http://www.handplane3d.com

Additionally, I have started recording training videos related to normal mapping and the first few are available on the website.

The free build is identical to the commercial options. Licensing is $50 per seat for freelancers, $150 per seat for studios.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, great to see this out of beta!

For those who do not know what handplane is, its a completely awesome tool that will take an object space baked normal map and convert it to a tangent space map, the kicker is it will do it in a variety of tangent spaces specific to various 3d apps and engines. This is great if you don't have a tools team available to you to fix your pipeline to sync up your tangent space, or if you're working with an engine that you don't have full source code access to.

You can use Handplane to get your models into UDK, Maya, Max, etc, no matter where you've created your model or baked your object space maps, with as accurate as possible result. This means less smoothing errors, hard edges, excessively splitting up uv islands, or as much time spent doing test bakes to fix issues related to smoothing.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yus!

Been using this more and more recently and it's lovely. No need to worry about vertex normals or triangulation changing after baking your object space map... just throw it the FBX you exported to the game and give it your object space map, et voil
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    thank you so much, ill pimp it around the office. are there any plans (if possible) to do a recalculation of existing tangent space maps?

can't wait to dig into it!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    We have talked about it and havent tested it yet. I will update you on that soon.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet! Any plans for marmoset support?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    In short:
    -bake object space normals to lowpoly in Max/Maya/Blender/etc
    -convert to tangent space normals in Handplane
    -throw in Unity/UDK/etc
    right?

For $50, that's not a bad deal for removing a lot of headaches.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Snader wrote: »
    In short:
    -bake object space normals to lowpoly in Max/Maya/Blender/etc
    -convert to tangent space normals in Handplane
    -throw in Unity/UDK/etc
    right?

For $50, that's not a bad deal for removing a lot of headaches.

basically. There are some limitations in different engines that limit the possible shading quality. Unreal in particular cannot be made perfect. However, handplane offers the best solution of anything else out there and it is the only solution that works with rigged meshes.
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    Great news! found it pretty useful with my beta tests. Goes a long way in standardizing normal map creation for all assets
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    Hats off to the creators of this tool. I will go ahead and test it in the upcoming 1-2 weeks. It's just absolutely amazing that you let artists focus more on the art itself and less on the technical missmatches between software. Thanks again!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    So it turns our store is temporarily in some sort of activation mode. If anyone did try and order a license, you can email me and I will get you sorted out. alecmoody@gmail.com

EDIT:
    Store should be fixed now.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    This tool is great! It does what is advertised and helps my assets look better much better with better efficiency. The pricing is also very fair, will purchase asap!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Awesome. If you have problems with the store let me know. It is a little clunky right now. Also, if it gives you an error about test payments restart your browser (and you might need to clear cookies). Sorry, this is a leftover from when was broken this morning.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    good to see such a tool come alive with plenty tangent spaces to choose from
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    cool! is it available on mac osx?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Alec this is awesome. Really fantastic idea. Your licensing set up is how EVERY single program should be doing it. I really hope companies and software devs take notice. Free for personal/learning, small charge for freelance, larger charge for companies is really smart. I suppose that or Microtransactions. $1 every time you convert it. I don't want to derail the thread though. Thanks for this.

I'll echo the Marmoset question. Any chance of support for Toolbag? and the OsX one too. That would be great.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I also wanted to point out it allows you to add and remove geometry from the low poly model without causing shading errors errors as long as the uv map stays the same. This can be used to reduce distortion and skewing you sometimes get from not having enough geometry on some models.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I will ask luke about osx support but I am guessing it would require starting from scratch for large areas of the tool.

Marmoset is on the radar.
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    Post moved to appropriate thread.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Does this work for the Crydev engine? I didn't see it mentioned in the list.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    nope, no support for crytek. We looking into it and the only way we can get it implemented would involve changing the workflow significantly. It is something to consider in the future but would be way too confusing for release.
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is xNormal -> Unity already synced? I wasn't exactly running into a lot of visible problems, but I thought I would do a quick test to see what effect it would have on some of my models, comparing a direct tangent space bake from xNormal to the object space recalculated with Handplane. While the two maps weren't exactly the same (I had to check in photoshop to confirm it though), the effect was basically invisible in the program.

Anyway, good to see this problem being addressed.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    xNormal has a unity plug in, but it is not perfect. The xNormal plug in and handplane have similar results.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Yeah, virtually the same result between the xnormal plugin James O'hare wrote and handplane. Both can create a perfect result in unity with shader modification. Vanilla xnormal is not synced for unity.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    nope, no support for crytek. We looking into it and the only way we can get it implemented would involve changing the workflow significantly. It is something to consider in the future but would be way too confusing for release.

Why, whats the problem? Are they doing something weird with the base level math like UE3 or something along those lines?
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    Score. I'll pimp it around the office.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Computron wrote: »
    Why, whats the problem? Are they doing something weird with the base level math like UE3 or something along those lines?

Its two things. They didn't want to share the code with us so that we could recreate ce3's behavior, and they are doing something abnormal with certain kinds of meshes that would require different outputs for different types of models in CE3. There is probably a way we can make it work but it would require bringing your models into ce3, then exporting them, then bringing those files into handplane. I would really like to get ce3 support working but handplane is confusing enough to people already.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Its two things. They didn't want to share the code with us so that we could recreate ce3's behavior, and they are doing something abnormal with certain kinds of meshes that would require different outputs for different types of models in CE3. I is probably a way we can make it work but it would require bringing your models into ce3, then exporting them, then bringing those files into handplane. I would really like to get ce3 support working but handplane is confusing enough to people already.

You guys do realise that CE3 effectively just uses the 3ds Max Tangent Basis right?
  • ZacD
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD: Does max and xNormal use the same tangent basis then?
  • encore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    encore polycounter lvl 5
    Its two things. They didn't want to share the code with us so that we could recreate ce3's behavior, and they are doing something abnormal with certain kinds of meshes that would require different outputs for different types of models in CE3. I is probably a way we can make it work but it would require bringing your models into ce3, then exporting them, then bringing those files into handplane. I would really like to get ce3 support working but handplane is confusing enough to people already.

When it comes to Crytek, it's like all you're doing is banging your head against a wall.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    mystichobo wrote: »
    You guys do realise that CE3 effectively just uses the 3ds Max Tangent Basis right?

That isn't actually the case. I hear that a lot and I'm not sure where that idea came from.

Here is a link to some testing we did on ce3 and max tangent basis:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1736754&postcount=178

Keep in mind that there are a lot of smoothing splits and some supporting loops on that model and a lot of those surfaces would look correct with any normal map.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    One question:

Don´t object space normals require 100% unique UVs? How does it work if you want to create an object that has mirroring or overlapping UVs?
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    It works the same as when to bake a tangent space map. Just make sure overlapping information is out of the 0-1 square. The only thing that can get messed up is if you are shuffling shells around and use the opposite side of the model for handplane than what you used for baking the OS map. If the normals in the object space map face the other direction (because you baked that direction into the map with the other set of shells) the tangent space map will bake with normals that face the wrong way.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, the OS map is really just the "source content" here, you don't have to think about the object space map as your final result. To pull the tangent space map from the OS map you really don't need to do anything you wouldn't already do (ie: offsetting overlapped/stacked uvs).

Just make sure you're not rotating the model around after baking the OS map but before converting to TS, as that will give you all sorts of problems (can't really imagine why someone would do that though).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD: Does max and xNormal use the same tangent basis then?

No, Xnormal uses Mikktspace by default if your mesh doesn't contain tangents/bi-normals, and tries to use the tangents/bi-normals if you export using a format like FBX that supports them.

Neither of which are going to match max results 100%, and Cry doesn't match max either, nor does Cry match their own proprietary baking tool, its really a mess.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don´t object space normals require 100% unique UVs? How does it work if you want to create an object that has mirroring or overlapping UVs?
    This is what 3D apps do internally when you bake a tangent space map anyway.

It renders the object space normals then, using the normals/tangents/binormals it's calculated, converts that object space normal into a tangent space normal.

So there's no real difference to the workflow of baking, essentially you're just using handplane to do that last step - the conversion of object to tangent - but converting it to the tangent space you want rather than that of the 3D app.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Looking at our server logs there are a lot of people who ended up downloading the beta yesterday. Get the full release build from the website, it is much better. If you got a rar with an EXE in it and no installer it was the beta.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    If the normals in the object space map face the other direction (because you baked that direction into the map with the other set of shells) the tangent space map will bake with normals that face the wrong way.

in the original luxinia commandline tool doing os to tangent conversion, I had simply checked the average dotproducts of an uvchart (triangle normal vs texture normals). That way even if they overlap in UVs, you actually now which "side" is stored in the texture (as it's unlikely that a UV-chart itself is inconsistent during baking)
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I'm glad this is released! I've been using the beta and it has become a part of my workflow. Great job Alec!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    So for those of us who work with UE3, what benefit does this offer over say, xNormal?
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    thanks Alec for this app and congratulations on the release. Enjoy
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    ambershee wrote: »
    So for those of us who work with UE3, what benefit does this offer over say, xNormal?
    closer-to-synched tangent basis with rigged meshes. UDK has some built-in thing for static meshes now
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    free bump because this is tool is dope as hell
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    closer-to-synched tangent basis with rigged meshes. UDK has some built-in thing for static meshes now

Ah nice, thanks. Not much use to us right now, but good to know :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    ambershee wrote: »
    Ah nice, thanks. Not much use to us right now, but good to know :)

Could you describe your workflow so we can try and make handplane fit your needs better?