Home General Discussion

Even Valve is having layoffs

Replies

• aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    It's possible they've decided to leave most of the hardware development to the outside companies that they're working with, making a large portion of their team redundant?

That or they're actually decided against doing hardware at all(seems unlikely with how much time and money they've poured into it)?

Maybe whatever it is, is done?

There is no way Valve is strapped for cash.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    The article makes it sound like it was from Android and hardware dev. Could it be that they tried their hand at those things and when it didn't work out they just let those people go? Still sucks either way but this sounds more like them getting rid of departments they don't really take advantage of.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    I don't really see this fitting into why the usual game company lay offs occur. Valve has already stated that they are doing excellent financially and have their long-term plan with the Mann Co. store.

They may have tried some stuff in these departments and just didn't like the results/didn't see the use.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like it was Jeri Ellsworth; she was working on the Steam Box controllers. I have no idea why they let her go though... Makes you wonder.

Link to article:
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/13/3983348/valve-fires-jeri-ellsworth-who-was-developing-steam-box-game
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Makes it harsh to have an article online about you with:

"Hey we just fired Joe Doe and are moving on other stuff".
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess citizen of Tweeter can bare any personal job related situation to be broadcast openly.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    http://www.diffchecker.com/h14Uhs74

Shows the difference between their job page this month compared to last month

no more Bay Raitt?!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    Not really a surprise ...

notice how firing wasn't part of the employee handbook? Working for valve is awesome, come define your job with us, etc etc, but what happens when it doesn't work out? I'm surprised there hasn't been more of this. Its an experimental kind of work place and there are bound to be LOTs of people who just can't function in that kind of environment, not everyone is going to be awesome and work out. If Valve want to keep their culture and the way they're working they have to be diligent with letting people who don't fit their model go, otherwise they'll lose what they're all about. Its true for any other company, but probably more so with Valve.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I wouldn't think of these as layoffs in the same sense as what we're used to hearing about: Valve isn't running out of money and needs to lay off people for it.

This, 25 or so people?, vs. the hundreds they have there sounds more like "trimming the fat". Which, IMO, should happen at every studio about once a year. Newell has gone on record as to saying they need to be more aggressive with cutting people who hurt the culture. This reads like nothing more than that, considering the multitude of disciplines being cut.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I was under the impression all those people were under contract since porting, mobile devices and others nic-nac's aren't part of Valve's core development team? More like a freelance or side-gig at the studio and weren't permanent unless the project required long term investment? Kinda like the entire Fairy games Valve wanted to develop but instead made L4D.

I also remember reading that Valve experiments in-house, but at the end of the day, for hardware in this case and Steambox, they partnered up with an outside company to get the finale on their project done (I don't recall the company name, but they're a hardware company alright).

Hopefully this doesn't become another case of Mike Sacco, where a person under contract decided to use Twitter to say "I got fire, woe is me, media pick me up", vs. "Contract is up, welp, look for a new job" to generate self-pity points from other people in the industry via Reddit or Kotaku.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    According to this article:

• Moby Francke, Half-Life 2 character designer and Team Fortress 2 art lead
    • Jason Holtman, director of business development for Steam and Steamworks
    • Keith Huggins, character animator and animator for Team Fortress 2 “Meet the” video series
    • Tom Leonard, software engineer for Half-Life 2 and Left 4 Dead
    • Realm Lovejoy, artist for Half-Life 2, Portal, and Left 4 Dead. She was also part of the original DigiPen-turned-Valve team that created Narbacular Drop, the inspiration for Portal
    • Marc Nagel, test lead for Half-Life, Counter-Strike, and patch updates
    • Bay Raitt, animator for Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, and Portal
    • Elan Ruskin, engine programmer for Left 4 Dead, Portal 2, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    • Matthew Russell, animator for Team Fortress 2 “Meet the” video series
    More than just 'Hardware' guys are gone.

Looks suspiciously like a small dev team! I wonder if they left to start their own thing......
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Looks suspiciously like a small dev team! I wonder if they left to start their own thing......

I was wondering the same.

Good luck for them.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    A lot of that is top tier talent I doubt Valve would just let go. Seems more like an exodus more than a cleansing.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod

yeah, but even if that wasn't the intention, they certainly could.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage

• Bay Raitt, animator for Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, and Portal

Shhhhiiii........
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haz makes a good point, the range of people being let go is surprising, they don't seem like fat...

It smells a bit like a crushed rebellion.
    Project was canned and everyone on it disagrees with the decision and is leaving out of spite?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    From Bay's Facebook:

Well, after 9 years of helping build the SourceFilmmaker, working on animated short films, games, comics, characters and hats for Valve's franchises, it's time for me to start making some new worlds of my own.

End of an era for me, but what a ride.

Oh man I hope they are starting something.....
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah a lot of people are immediately assuming it's all hardware people. I was surprised by that list as well. Well, goodluck to those affected, i'm sure they'll all go on to other awesome things.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    proof that no one is safe.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    Yeah a lot of people are immediately assuming it's all hardware people. I was surprised by that list as well. Well, goodluck to those affected, i'm sure they'll all go on to other awesome things.
    That's because that how the news was reported in the first few minutes? Literally, some of them read as "Android and Hardware layoffs at Valve".

Now that the names are released, there is a new perspective, isn't there?
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Certainly surprised me. Willy Wonka's factory of the games industry letting people off. I suppose on the bright side some new spots will be open for new talent? :)
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    proof that no one is safe.

I think this is definitely unilaterally true. But, I've always gotten the impression that Valve fires people fairly often, and it's just not in the news normally.

From an article on Polygon recently:
    One of the most notable [problems with Valve's organizational structure], Newell said, was how to introduce new human resources into the process, and recognizing when that process just wasn't working out.

"You have to be really aggressive about firing people," Newell said. "We haven't done a really good job with interns or new hires. That's kind of a sink or swim thing.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/1/3941274/gabe-newell-steam-box-talk-ut

That being said, I think most of the people he's talking about are those who haven't been at the company very long, so maybe these layoffs are something different. And I agree that the people Hazardous listed don't seem like underperformers, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had some say in their own departure.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    It's a clever ruse! They've all "left" Valve to start their own company called Faucet - where they're going to be working on Valves new outsourcing experiment, Half Life 3.

you may all go back about your day.
  • CrazyMatt
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sure haven't heard about Bay Raitt since Mirai and LOTR.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    peanut™ wrote: »
    I sure haven't heard about Bay Raitt since Mirai and LOTR.

Bay Raitt is my hero, he did a great talk at FMX, come and work for us Bay Raitt! - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68766
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    http://www.valvetime.net/threads/updated-2-jeri-ellsworth-bay-raitt-more-leave-valve.243175/
    Bay Raitt: Well, after 9 years of helping build the SourceFilmmaker, working on animated short films, games, comics, characters and hats for Valve's franchises, it's time for me to start making some new worlds of my own.

End of an era for me, but what a ride.
    Gaben:
    "We don't usually talk about personnel matters for a number of reasons. There seems to be an unusual amount of speculation about some recent changes here, so I thought I'd take the unusual step of addressing them. No, we aren't canceling any projects. No, we aren't changing any priorities or projects we've been discussing. No, this isn't about Steam or Linux or hardware or [insert game name here]. We're not going to discuss why anyone in particular is or isn't working here."
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is especially strange because of how Valve works. Basically they let people come up with what they think would contribute the most to the company, whether it's something completely new or helping out with ongoing projects.

Letting go such extremely talented people who's been at the company for nearly a decade (in case of Bay Raitt) doesn't fit with this policy. The guy suddenly can't contribute to Valve any longer in any meaningful way? Or they've let him do non-profitable stuff for all those years?

Doesn't add up in any way. Gabe should discuss it in the open because it goes against everything they've communicated Valve to be.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    It adds ups pretty clearly, actually. The other side of their flat hierarchy and employee ranking means that they have a top 10% and a bottom 10% of employees. The evaluation process should hopefully encourage people at the bottom to push up and work harder. At some point you can take a step back and see that the top 10% are not performing at a level you'd like your minimum employees to be performing at, and if they continue to do so, they're not worth employing.

There could be other mitigating factors instead of it being a performance based culling, and keeping that possibility alive is why you do not comment on the departures of employees that are not explicitly leaving under good terms. If it is anything less than a positive and congratulatory time on both sides for an employee departure, you absolutely don't comment on it.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    That list is, what, 10 people? Out of a given 400 or so people, I don't think that's all too bad. If they continue at this rate they'll be "gone" in about 40 years...

It can be one of many things, but it probably isn't an indicator of the steam ship sinking or anything drastic like that.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    It adds ups pretty clearly, actually. The other side of their flat hierarchy and employee ranking means that they have a top 10% and a bottom 10% of employees. The evaluation process should hopefully encourage people at the bottom to push up and work harder. At some point you can take a step back and see that the top 10% are not performing at a level you'd like your minimum employees to be performing at, and if they continue to do so, they're not worth employing.

There could be other mitigating factors instead of it being a performance based culling, and keeping that possibility alive is why you do not comment on the departures of employees that are not explicitly leaving under good terms. If it is anything less than a positive and congratulatory time on both sides for an employee departure, you absolutely don't comment on it.

Under normal circumstances I'd say this is the case, but after looking at the names I think it's something else. I highly doubt the person that made Gollum's facial model in the LOTR was in the bottom 10%.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess the Mayans were right after all.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    skylebones wrote: »
    Under normal circumstances I'd say this is the case, but after looking at the names I think it's something else. I highly doubt the person that made Gollum's facial model in the LOTR was in the bottom 10%.

I'm sure they're all great at what they do, and there could likely be some other reason (which is why you don't comment on it - to keep that possibility available and to keep from ruining those people). But just because you are good at something, doesn't mean you're doing it well, at a high enough productivity level, in the way the company wants you to do things.

Someone who is amazing at doing cinematic characters isn't going to be as productive in an environment that is asking them to animate 100 pixel tall characters for Dota. There are a dozen different reasons, which do not necessarily reflect on the failure of either the employee or the employer, for why there could be performance issues with a company. Especially since so many of these people are senior, important people, I think it is easy to see a place where a conflict of values, rather than a failure of ability, could keep people from being able to be productive.

Or it could be something else entirely. My point was that the ability to speculate is important to maintaining everyone's reputation. To remove that is at best damaging to one party, and unprofessional to do so.

You should always celebrate people's achievements publicly, and keep private on their misgivings in a professional environment.
  • cgmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgmonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Certified Valve Evangelists :)
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    - so Halflife 3 confirmed :D
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The largest of things at hand to acknowledge in knowing what valve is... It really comes down to 1 thing. PRODUCTIVITY.

In the end, I can understand all of these layoffs. Because of just being highly talented, and so on... Its more understood that a workday at Valve, is really all self-guided. You wake up, go to work, and put your desk in a cabal project office area that you can contribute your expertise to.

being from ^ that, if you are getting up and day by day doing the same thing...but pretty much walk in...and are yeah, putting yourself with people in project groups that suite your interests and are doing not much more than twiddling thumbs, possibly not adding your input to a projects direction, and not much work getting done by yourself. While the next cabal talent beside you is banging out incredible results or is dependable to get the job done and can start and stop and resume at anytime.....

Yeah, you probably wont make it at valve. But, if you are keen to push yourself in engaging a projects focus. Well, you are definitely more than likely molded for valves culture and work structure.

In any case, I think most of the talent that was let go. It wasn't because they aren't great. Because they are. It was probably a matter of them feeling more to want to do something else than what valve's inner workings had been offering.
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When the guy who was a part of the original portal team (forgot the name of the original game) he really stressed at how valve is a fluid company and that its completely different to anyone else. I can see how some people who may be incredibly talented at what they do, fail to work properly in those conditions.

From my understanding of the place, its very much "you jump right in". There are no real set goals or projects that everyone is working on. Its all independent teams that may come up with something awesome and then everyone kinda joins in.

Must be such an open and free place to work but if you are not in sync with everyone around you, I can imagine its very isolating almost.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7mihllgiro&feature=youtu.be

The more I think about it, and the more I look at the people who left, I think we might see an attempt to blur the lines between games and movies a bit more. For several reasons it probably makes sense to put them in their own space and even split them off as their own entity.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm doubting they just sacked all these people. You dont just say to someone like Bay Raitt and the others, "I'm sorry your just not doing good enough, were going to have to let you go".

Although I did watch a video where Gabe basically intimated Valve isnt the Utopia everyone believes. They want high productivity\exceptional people, you have to measure your productivity or it is measured, so it seems staff have to perform highly all of the time, maybe they didnt like the pressure or couldnt stand some changes.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14