Home Technical Talk

Rage Toolbox - id Tech 5 - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm definitely curious to see what people think of the tools once they've had a go for a bit. Please report back! :)
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    This still has not shown up for me in my steam client :( but I would love to see what you guys do with it.
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    Try restarting steam if it doesn't show up. Seems to fix most issues with that kind of thing.
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I've done everything suggested in the steam forums. Plenty of other people are having this issue as well.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Done every possible fix/tweak/workaround and its also still not showing up in my tools list.

Been checking multiple times every day since friday. :-(
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    You guys own Rage right?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Yeah, I own Rage too and I don't see the toolkit neither. I have some friends that have it, some other don't. I didn't see any explanation on the why yet...
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    You guys own Rage right?

Of course
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah, I will probably be doing some stuff in it aswell, for the fun of it ;)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    It is available for download at my work account, but it is absent on my personal one. :(
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    This morning it magically appeared on my account. I need to free some disk space now ! :D
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    For those who are having issues with the toolkit not showing up on steam,
    you can fix it by deleting the "appcache" folder in the "steam" folder.
    After that just restart steam and it should be there in the tools section :)
  • Angry Beaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Angry Beaver polycounter lvl 7
    Without downloading this directly I'm having a hard time finding out what you're allowed to do with this SDK, make money off Arc Vis, sell a new game, release free mods? Like what can you do, the FAQ/EULA just says read the EULA when downloading it and I don't own RAGE to download it.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Without downloading this directly I'm having a hard time finding out what you're allowed to do with this SDK, make money off Arc Vis, sell a new game, release free mods? Like what can you do, the FAQ/EULA just says read the EULA when downloading it and I don't own RAGE to download it.

^ pretty much.
    dissapointed to say the least but cant complain about free stuff.

i dont see any material/shader editor or the ability to import custom models.

i only see tga files and lwo(lightwave object file) files.

it might be a manual dragNdrop directly to folder but since i dont have lightwave i cant test it it.

all the character and creature models seem to be hidden or not there at all.

11rvvo9.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo will open LWOs too btw, probably a little more common than lightwave these days.
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea still no Rage Tool Kit. Even after deleting the appcache and resarting steam several times. I even removed my local Rage content, re-installed then validated the content. It found 1 missing file but still didn't show up. I wonder if its because I bought Rage from a retail store on a disc and then linked it to my steam account instead of buying directly from steam.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea still no Rage Tool Kit. Even after deleting the appcache and resarting steam several times. I even removed my local Rage content, re-installed then validated the content. It found 1 missing file but still didn't show up. I wonder if its because I bought Rage from a retail store on a disc and then linked it to my steam account instead of buying directly from steam.

I have the EXACT same situation. I never thought about the retail version potentially causing problems, although now I think that is a likely possibility.

Reading the discussion board on steam it appears to be a database problem as some users are reporting that a game called auditorium is being added to their library, and that game's steam ID is one digit higher than the Rage toolkit.

Weird.

I hope it's sorted out soon, its been far too long.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i also bought a retail version... and the kit it working fine...
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I bought it on Steam, I've deleted the appcache folder, restarted steam and the computer a couple times, etc. Still no toolkit available.
  • Vidar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vidar polycounter lvl 17
    This is how you find the characters/creatures:

From the World Editor open the menu Tools and choose MD6 Model Editor...

There you can browse for MD6-models (models with skinning).
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally got access to it today.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    A few quick answers, there is no material editor, materials are created using textfiles, and TGAs :)

Also if this works like the engine normally does, you dont import meshes, it reads lwo-files straight away from the folder structure : ) Skinned meshes are md6 files and not lwos ^^
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally have access to the toolkit as well. Now that I have used it for a day or two I have a few questions that are not answered in the help files, which really aren't that technical or helpful for someone creating new art in the engine.

So how do we get less compression in the megatextures? There's a command called "mt_genCompression" which has a default value of "HDT" but when you type it in the console it doesn't list the other compression options you have available to use.

There's also this command "unq_maxTexelDensity 4.1" in your map's buildcvars file as well as a host of other settings. This command "Rescales surfaces with greater texel to linear world ratios" according to the console.

Changing "unq_maxTexelDensity" to 8.1 or 16.1 seems to help with increasing the quality of the megatexture but the compression is still bad. Anyone have any tips they can share that have used the tech?