Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First Game Asset...yeahhh baby!!!

poopsterspappy
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
I'm taking a class on UDK and I needed an asset for my homework so I threw this together out of my imagination(with the help of reference) This is my first asset that I've gotten a clean bake on and I'm very excited. I can't spend too much more time on it as I have to do the assignment, but I'm proud of the results. I'll do an AO bake, diffuse, emmisive, spec then it's into UDK for look dev with shaders as thats what we are focusing on in class as of now. I know it's not a mind blower but it's my first real accomplishment. Critiq away PLEASE :poly121: Thanks to you all for so much help and inspiration

PPappy

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Welcome! Can't say I've ever seen an oil drum with pipes coming out of it. Got ref? You also need to reconsider your polycount for your low mesh. There is a ton of wasted poly's and edge loops all over your mesh. This isn't a great example but the rule of thumb is to only use poly's that will define the topology (give form).

wireframe.jpgf59c3281-5f3e-43cb-8965-f5c3be3b1559Larger.jpg
  • TheDerpyChicken
    It looks nice. I like how there is some visible damage on it. What are the pipes for if I may ask? I'm guessing it's a sci-fi oil drum :p
  • poopsterspappy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey pixelpatron , Actually they aren't pipes but being that they aren't textured (yet) I can absolutely see where you would see that as thats what they look like. Actually, they are handles that will have a matte rubber coating. They are quite heavy and feesibly two people could be needed to carry them . Yes I rushed the optmization, a very bad habit to get into but I am running out of time to get my assignment done but it will have to suffice for now. really learned alot about workflow on this one. Thank you for the input I appreciate your time.

The Derpy Chicken, Thanks for the compliment. I am starting to feel some confidence in workflow, that's what this is about more so than concept. Kinda just wanted something cool looking. I know the toxic barrel can be cliche so I wanted to go somewher a bit different with it.

All the best PPappy
  • Aga22
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    thats a lotta polygons!

anyway, theres a lot of loops you dont need there, the pipes dont need to be attached vertex to vertex to the main body, so you can just have them intersect thus saving polygons. on the bottom side which is flat, you shouldnt use a central vertex and have all the sides end to it, using polygons to bridge the cylinder results in a much lower polycount. did i say those are too many polygons ?
  • poopsterspappy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou. Aga22, great advice
  • poopsterspappy
    Offline / Send Message
    So this piece has been all about figuring out technique and workflow. especially baking. This is the first asset and texture I've painted without using a tutorial so please critique away. Thanks PPappy
  • Roxxor
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 9
    I like the bake too. The actual texture...on the texture looks good. It's the colors that I find odd. Is the green on top supposed to be leaked ooze like TMNT 2? I don't think radioactive things necessarily have to be green. I think those same zones would look better as a reddish rust from corrosion. I figure you are going with a red/green palette to get a lot of contrast, but consider using yellow. Red and yellow are the universal warning colors in my mind. The green stripe pattern blends too much with the barrel color. Good job so far.
  • poopsterspappy
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor, Do you mean a corrosive red like this?
  • _DMage_
    You need a bit more experience but still very good
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    neat concept. nice high poly model too. lots of polys on lo res though as mentioned already. Red ooze looks like blood now imo.
  • GrimFiction
    Nice one, I like the damage on the drum. Mesh needs a little cleanup but its looking really nice =)
  • poopsterspappy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys really appreciate the feedback, brought it into UDK creating shader networks with lerp nodes to mask off certain sections and adding decals from seperate textures... this stuff is finally starting to make sense... lol
  • Roxxor
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 9
    That's looking great. It's reading a lot better now.