Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Amazon warrior

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
This is a character I started working on for a quick 2 week contest. I finished the sculpt and low res version for the contest but haven't had the chance to texture her yet. I'm going back to redo the low res version to include more polys. For now though, here's the sculpt. C&C are very welcome.

[IMG][/img]amazon_final_v2.jpg

Replies

• Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    we want bigger render!!
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tits-sorry about that. Photobucket has bad compression now on upload. Bigger image attached now though.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Ijsketch. Use imageshack with account then. No upload restrictions at all and still free (plus with account you get an album like in bucket).

Model looks good. Though her face gives me more of an african tribe woman feel then amazon but it fits the overall. Also and this might just be me not seeing it textured. She has all over cloth and rope clothing and bead accessoires but (what looks to me) modern (metal maybe) earrings.
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HardBaller-thanks, I'll check Imageshack out. Yeah, I wanted her face to have an exotic look but I may have went a little overboard with some of the features. The earrings aren't metal, but could be plastic, especially from the reference I used. In any case, your observation is right on...doesn't fit with the rest of the accessories. I can however fix that by changing the way they are made. good call and thanks for the feedback.
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished building the lo res a couple weeks ago and here are the first and second passes on the textures (diffuse and normals). Skin is a little too dark right now, which I'll adjust soon.

030213-2_zps68442b48.jpg

030213-22_zps2004cfaf.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey!
    I think that in general it looks pretty good, Tho I think your occlusion would need to be a little bit more soft, you can really feel it in the butt area for exemple. The UV seams too are pretty obvious at the shoulder, side of the chest, not too sure how you did this tho
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment Tits. I'm still learning to control those darn AO maps :). Yeah, I noticed the seam was jacked up a few days ago. I did the base texture in Mubbox and may have had the symmetry option off at the shoulder. Should be an easy fix though.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    not sure how i feel about bikini. its design feels a bit modern and western, unless there are tribes out there where women actually wear such things.

Other than that i like this model.
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a small update on my warrior. Mostly texture fixes and material setup in marmoset. There's a strange pattern happening on my model (noticeable on left shoulder blade: pic 1). It appeared when I added a second light in marmoset.

I probably wont be working on this one that much for the next month. I've finally entered a contest( "The Escape") and have to see this through to the end :).

Blaisoid - Thanks for your comment. I used a couple of modern references for the design. Truthfully, design is my weaker attribute right now so I at first glance I did not notice the combination of modern and western, well...I did notice the bikini :). And now that you say something about it, I've been playing AC 3 a lot lately so that's probably where the western influence came from.

032013-2_zpse9d4f148.jpg

032013-1_zps2a2813bc.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are going for the Amazonians as described by the Greeks were from Asia Minor (most probably near modern-day Turkey), and had arms and armor not too dissimilar from the Greeks and Trojans.
    img_penthesileia.jpg

On a more gruesome note, they supposedly removed one breast to make shooting bows and throwing spears easier.
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting history there DWalker. I'm sure I will do another amazon again so I will keep all the advice in mind. The missing breast does sound a little gruesome but I think it'd be an interesting attribute. Thanks for the reference!
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had some time to play around with this character again. I rigged and posed her, then made a pedestal with that time. I usually don't make pedestals so I figured I'd give it a try. I also played around with the lighting in marmoset. I Still have to get around to fixing the textures for the face. I'm going to have to force myself to do that on the next pass so I can move on to something new.

0419131.jpg