Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] underground labrinthe

Im still have not nailed down the exact concept of what or where this place is suppose to be, I have looked at reference of egyption labrynthes, castles, old mayan ruins etc. still having a tough time.

I just know I want to create some kind of tunnel/underground structure reminiscent of games like Balders Gate, Elder Scrolls games, or anything Wizards of the Coast :\.

536017_10152529838865247_2020213941_n.jpg

541596_10152529838880247_1329775318_n.jpg

487760_10152529838825247_1709316688_n.jpg

544491_10152530168350247_2138386769_n.jpg

I have been using Zbrush a lot for this project so far, I made a post for this same project a couple days ago under the same title.

Replies

• PixelSuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey SolarSailor

Nice start, one thing that does stand out immediately is the difference in definition between the stone wall texture and the pillars/floor/ceiling. I'm guessing that you have sculpted individual stones for the walls while the ceiling, floor and pillars are sculpted from one, larger mesh? If that's the case I would recommend sculpting the pillars, ceiling and floor in the same way as the wall then baking them down to a lower poly mesh. Currently the wall looks great but the others seem to be lacking some depth.

This might just be me but the size of the stones in the wall seem to have very little size variation. Obviously this depends what time period you are setting this to but I would expect to see a little more variation especially if this is set in ancient times.

If you are looking for a 'setting' or a back story for this piece how about the legend of the ancient Greek Labyrinth which was supposedly home to the Minotaur?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth

This is a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this piece, hope this helps
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelSuit wrote: »
    I would recommend sculpting the pillars, ceiling and floor in the same way as the wall then baking them down to a lower poly mesh. Currently the wall looks great but the others seem to be lacking some depth.

the archway has been sculpted and taken into zbrush, as well as baked down and decimated, its missing diffuse information as well as specular info.

the brick wall is a 512 normal map.
  • PixelSuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the archway has been sculpted and taken into zbrush, as well as baked down and decimated, its missing diffuse information as well as specular info.

What I was trying to say is that it looks as if the base mesh you took into ZBrush was one complete mesh. It might be better to instead take each stone of the archway into ZBrush separately and sculpting them, then bake that down to one individual mesh. This should give you much better definition when you come to bake your normal maps out.

Here is a good example of the technique by Orb:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83186
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelSuit wrote: »
    What I was trying to say is that it looks as if the base mesh you took into ZBrush was one complete mesh. It might be better to instead take each stone of the archway into ZBrush separately and sculpting them, then bake that down to one individual mesh. This should give you much better definition when you come to bake your normal maps out.

Here is a good example of the technique by Orb:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83186

yeah I have seen this stuff before but...

I asked this on Orbs forum, but if I was to try this would there be a way for me to export the normal maps for the subtools all at once and export them all to one map? instead of having to combine them one by one.
  • solarSailor