Home Unreal Engine

UDK tiledshot vs. alt+prt screen

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
Alright, I've got a question I assume has a fairly simple answer. When I take shots of my environment I'm building, I really like the quality I get with the tiledshot command. However, it messes with the real-time effects I have in my environment, the most obvious example being the light shafts seen here:

8454886172_8f25588107_b.jpg
Hall Light Shafts by camraab, on Flickr

And then they're not present in the tiledshot here:

8451462983_0753872557_b.jpg
SciFi Hall Update by camraab, on Flickr

As I said, I really like the crispness of the tiledshots, but I want the light shafts to be visible. Is this possible using tiledshot, or something similar? I'm not privy to the background stuff going on when you do a tiledshot, I just know how to do one lol, so I'm guessing the fix is somewhere in that knowledge gap. Thank you.

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Nope, tiled shot messes with the Post-Process effects since it's taking the same picture 4 times as a tile of the original image, so PP will repeat itself 4 times, not over the whole image, so certain effects will either look weird or not be noticeable at all.

Try with a vignette effect to see what I mean.

Your best bet is to just go into gameplay mode, use console command set your Resolution to whatever you want it to be, and full screen it. Also, don't forget to set the highest AA possible.

After that, either use a screen recording software to take images (like Fraps) or use F9/Screen. In the latter case, you will be limited to your screen resolution, so even if you set your res to something like 2560x1440, it will only capture your screen space instead (1920x1080 if you have a HD screen).

And yes, UDK is kinda annoying like that, you could try setting up a camera and automatically running the scene and dumping images automatically, kinda like a video to image setup, but even then, I think UDK is limited to your screen size.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome, just the answer I was looking for, can't thank you enough.
  • lpcstr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Nope, tiled shot messes with the Post-Process effects since it's taking the same picture 4 times as a tile of the original image, so PP will repeat itself 4 times, not over the whole image, so certain effects will either look weird or not be noticeable at all.

That's not exactly correct. Post-process effects that contain some kind of blur are not resolution independent. The same kernel size will be used and because the resolution is 4 times larger, the amount of blur will appear to be 4 times less.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    True, but I have yet to experience that in UDK, everything that is PP in my case just ends up being a mess, be it PP AA, Bloom, Chromatic Abberation, and even in some cases the water material which is not PP due to screen ratio issues. Again, this is all in my case.

If there is a way around it, it would be wonderful though I will say that.