Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Figured i'd start something new: Tony Stark's Malibu Home (interior only)

So, i figured i'd have a go at something i've not really done yet properly and that's a normal realistic interior rather than anything overly sci-fi.

So with that in mind, this is the project i've chosen.

Tony Stark's Malibu home (garage only):

Latest update:
TS_garage_14.jpg
TS_garage_13.jpg

TS_garage_2.jpg
TS_garage_3.jpg

It's very early stages so far, only 2 nights spent work on it. The lights up the tunnel are really un-optimised since they're actually 3 spot lights in one. Those will be changed to a single emissive plane with a texture on it for that purpose.

The floor is using a masked transparent texture with a 23D reflect capture actor beneath it for a quick and easy reflective floor, but again, not very optimised. I'm also getting the lgihts in the room reflecting back, so i'll have to think about this part a bit more.

I might mess with the lighting hues a bit more, but for now i've used the post process chain to get an average and light environment going till i figure out how i want it to be.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looking cool, I'd like to see the reflection on the floor to be tweaked to look more like this with the light coming in from the windows http://www.sdconcrete.com/_images_new/floors/sharpe/sharpe_couch_954.jpg
    With the bright windows being the most reflected, and the other objects in the reflection being much more subtle.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers ZacD although tbh i haven't done a whole lot of work on reflective surfaces before, but yes i'd like to get a bit more variation and difference out of the floor than just a complete flat reflection. However saying that, the majority of the floor is indeed veryreflective:

But giving it a bit of lighter tones or darker tones here and there to vary the light a bit wouldn't hurt, maybe even a bit of grunge in places, but very subtle.
    Tony-Stark-garage.jpg

edit: also just noticed i'm using a bit too many spot lights on that curved wall :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah I just wanted to show a more extreme example, that floor in my picture isn't glossy at all. I did forget how reflective that floor was though. But yeah, the reflection needs a bit of processing. You really need to get a car or something in there for scale too.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Subscribing because I love your threads man!

I'm liking the nearly arch-viz feel to this. If you're going for realism and you run into anything, the UDK forums have a fairly big Arch viz community.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Looking at the wall in the back, its narrower but higher
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the whole room could benefit from the roof being lowered down a few feet tbh. The curved wall also looks a bit high.

edit: Looking at it now too, the ceiling is a bit too rough. I'll make a smoother material for that section, give it a bit of variation from the rest of the concrete around the room too. Still needs the lights cut in though, which i'm working on.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, got round to doing a little extra work on this, i've updated some of the walls and the cieling, got the lights up there now. Sorted the spot lights out along the side wall, and gave it a warmer hue over all. Things i still need to sort out now which i'll be moving onto soon is the driveway, which desperately needs updating.

Then i'll move onto the workshop area, need to get the light tubes put in there as well as the proper back wall and glass windows plus the stairs. Still lots to do before i can even think about making any props or tid-bits around this place yet.

TS_garage_5.jpg
    TS_garage_4.jpg
    TS_garage_6.jpg
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update on this. More work on the base room, it's coming together, i need to get the last bits of the actual room finished now before i start work on the individual props, there's going to be a fair few.

So far i still need to update the tunnel with some much better lighting, i've been thinking of putting the lights it's using there currently against a black texture and screengrabbing the spotlight shapes that it's using to use as an emissive texture. Making it from scratch in photoshop didn't end well.

It also needs the suit cabinet area, that bit is a bit more tucked into the wall on the second movie which is the one i've basing this off, and it's got a fair amount of detail, so that'll be a nice focus point for that side of the room.

TS_garage_7.jpg
    TS_garage_8.jpg
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    It would be cool if you could add a tad bit of reflection distortion to your floor. The reference picture shows it ever so slightly, and it is even more noticeable in the distance.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep cheers Bardler, that's what it needs :) which is what i've gone ahead and done!

It was also using the original fog from the starting scene, so i've removed that now and it's much crisper too. Bumped up the tone mapper too to give the colours more juice although might be too much, we'll see.
    TS_garage_9.jpg
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got a few updates.

So i've finished the actual room now pretty much, save for a few tweaks here and there. It's pretty bland as you can see.

My next step is to start off adding in the many many many props this place has, so i'm starting with the coffee/tea prep corner that has the massive TV on the wall.

But before i start that, here's the update. I've made the Ironman suit rack for the wall.

TS_garage_10.jpg
    TS_garage_11.jpg
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    How do you plan on texturing everything, as in the amount of sheets/size you're going to use? I'm just curious, as there's a pretty serious amount of stuff to put in here, and I'd be interested to know how you plan to tackle it for my own gain :) Looking great so far, the floor looks fantastic.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Dat floor. Looks awesome.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid
    I'm likely going to be t-paging things, but even then, the amount of unique props in here looking at the film as a direct reference is staggering, but hopefully i can get away with re-using alot of different textures on the smaller stuff/less obvious areas.

BARDLER
    cheers, i may update it a bit more soon, work on the distortn a bit more, see what i can get out of it.

For now, here's my latest updates. Only a few props added in, the jukebox isn't terribly detailed up close, but i may put some more work into the textures later on, there's no grunge or detailing what-so-ever yet. The cabinet is using a previous material i made for the suit display area on the chrome pieces, and the screen is the largest texture so far taking up the majority of a 1024x1024 texture. unfortunately it's static, maybe i'll get it moving, but i doubt it. unless i can get it linked to a .gif or better yet, a video.

updated the suit display too, looking much better now.

TS_garage_13.jpg
    TS_garage_12.jpg
  • cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 polycounter lvl 11
    looks awesome!!
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made a rug:
    My workflow for this isn't that thought through tbh though, i made it in a bit of a hurry :P but i'll likely come back to it.

Here's how i did it:
    1x 2048x1024 texture of a non-tiling rug material for the central rug mesh, and then an alpha border on the edge of the texture for the border mesh around the edge. This is one material that's set to masked.
    Then, i duplicated the mesh, offset it and enlarged to get a layered effect and then did this once more.
    Last thing i did was create a new material from the original masked rug material and set it to translucent using the same alpha mask. This was applied to a second mesh i made which is just the border mesh (had issues with overlaying meshes using a transparent shader) to create the soft edges of the rug.

Could have been optimised:
    used 2 smaller textures one for thealphas around the edge and the other just a tiling texture. Use overlay meshes to hide the tiling on the center of the rug.
    Not sure if this would have gotten the same texture res, but who knows. Might give it a go eventually, but for now, it's fine.

TS_garage_14.jpg
  • Youandih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man your doing fine with the modelling.. I tried the same thing, but didn't get things as you have them.. But perhaps I can help you with something else.. I'm currently working on modelling ALL of the Iron Man armors.. Your workshop wouldn't be finished without.. If you feel interested in a preview of the quality, I can send you some images.. Just say your interested in a mail to yjmhoefman@live.nl and I'll send you some previews of what I have. If you accept the offer, that would be a great reason for me to keep modelling.. Think about it :)

Cheers, Youandih