Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

City Hall Station - UDK Environment

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
Hi all, I've been working my first full environment in UDK based (somewhat loosely) on the abandoned City Hall subway station on and off for a few weeks now and I think it's about time I showed you all and asked for some crits!

It's not 100% finished, there are a few assets I have yet to finish and drop in, and there are also loads of decals I plan to put in to polish it up a bit. I've really learned SO MUCH doing this, I can't wait to stamp this one finished and move onto something else to which I can apply what I've learned.

Here's a video and some screenshots. Sorry about the video compression, Windows Movie Maker is pretty brutal.

Youtube Vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LShkg1Q-a_U

MD_CityHall_01.jpg

MD_CityHall_02.jpg

MD_CityHall_03.jpg

Replies

• theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Looks really good as of now. The one thing I can point out though is that the tunnel as of now is a bit redundant. It is very obvious where the walls repeat. This should get better with the addition of decals but maybe adding things like broken parts of the ceiling in some areas could really add to the environment.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    I see what you're getting at, not enough unique details along the tunnel. Need to break it up a bit, literally.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    A lot of those tiles are still very clean, most underground rail systems are extremely dusty, and the humidity creates a cloying, sticky grime that finds its way into all the recesses and crevices. The bricks on the wall in the mattress shot look a bit small. The tiles in the stairwell look rather large also. Would be nice to see some environment reflection on the tiles, modulated by some grunge. The mattress on the tracks could use some deformation, it's stiffer than a Swedish billionaires speeding fine right now.

I like where this is headed, nice architecture and mood. I think you could expand on it though, it needs more story, I feel.