Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Abandoned Quarry Progress

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
Hello Folks!

I want to build an 3d environment portfolio.
I am aiming to gain skills by using 3ds Max and UDK for this environment.
My choice for the environment its an Abandoned Quarry, my aim is to make rocks and columns of cut marble, and left open with the years to be stained by the soil and years.

I am mainly going to work with improving 3d rock sculpting, retopology and layout design.

My current progress is learning how to have an effective workflow between the programs, and to figure out what works best to simulate this.

For this I am going to practice by generating blocks and rocks of different sizes to see what works and suits best.

Be free to give any recommendations or suggestions! I'll do the best to keep this thread updated often. I am still unsure how long will this environment take me, but if they are any ideas out there on how to make this a speedy process please let me know :)

amines.jpg
sideStudy.jpg
perspectiveStudy.jpg
topMap.jpg
print02_A3.jpg
Screen-shot-2011-10-17-at-2.36.jpg

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I don't think making square chunks of rock is the ideal approach for this. I'd say either make one large model for the pit so you have a nice smooth shape instead of clipping geometry. But that would make it somewhat inflexible as you need to make a shape for every different pit - which is not an issue for this PF work but maybe for in games it would be.

Or perhaps do something with straight modeled modules, and use noise based worldspace vertex offsets or something - though I'm not entirely sure exactly how.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    I did some *research* (I am using stars because I am not entirely sure its the right word) and I have thought of that plenty of times! the blocks are from a past project I did a year ago on unity, for a UNI Assignment and I am planning to re-start on UDK as its a project that was very close to me, in a class I loved doing but I run out of time. Because that semester was just too full on.

I have thought of using a combination of modelled modules, with paint by vertex meshes to add variation (otherwise the walls will all look identical)

I'll upload work on progress, but what I should do first, its a grey boxed scene on 3dsmax to figure out what modular pieces would suit better instead of making unique assets.

Some zbrushing I am doing now to practice and to do retopo :)

Its going to be interesting to retopologize this guy...

zbrush10x10x05rock2.jpg

When I have done most of the rocks/plants with the terrain, my plan is to make more human made assets such as abandoned equipment, shacks and cars.

I wished there was a similar life environment like that, that I knew off, to take photos and ideas. Any recommendations are welcome.