Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Raptor-ride

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
davidosterlind polycounter lvl 5
I know Im doing this in the wrong order, asking for feedback this late in the process, but I would love to get some critique on the texturing, material definition, lighting and even poses as I still struggle with those parts. Using Marmoset for this one. Roughly 19.000 tris in total. I do intend to put him on a platform with some grass and dirt to stand on for the final presentation.
(In the last two un-posed images, the tail is shorter, made it longer as I was told it looked unbalanced)

raptor01g.jpg

raptor02.jpg

raptor03.jpg

raptor04.jpg

Replies

• brwnbread
    Offline / Send Message
    brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work! Textures look really cool. As for material definition, are you using a gloss map? You could probably make the eye and scales, etc way more shinier? It looks almsot flat shaded to me.
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster polycounter lvl 8
    Really awesome work here man! I really like it, I agree with brwnbread that you could make the scales a bit more noticeable. One thing that is really sticking out to me is the long white line along its tail. At first I thought it was part of the gloss/spec map but I then noticed it is part of the actual texture. To me, I think it looks awkward and out of place with everything else. Maybe try changing the color to fit the scheme of the raptor. Other than that its fucking awesome work man, keep it up! :)
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    First and most importantly: where the feathers at?

Anyhow, cool stuff! Clean and neat bake, but needs material definition and some punch. Also, the AO in the wrinkels of the sking feels way too dark, what did you do your bakes in?
  • Ravanna
    tone down the cavity map on the skin (unless my eyes deceive me)

Bring some specular into the textures, show of the skin and leather.
    I know marmoset specularity is a nightmare though.
  • davidosterlind
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback and kind words, awesome! Ive tried to fix what you guys mentioned.
    Boosted the spec/gloss a bit. Boosted the overall lighting to make it pop a bit more and to get some better overall highlights. The CavityMap/AO is still a bit strong but I thought that the brighter lighting kind of made that less apparent, maybe. Changed the leg/foot position a bit to make it more birdlike in pose. Also started on the Base, added some foliage assets from a previous project of mine.

@St4lis: Did the highpoly / lowpoly bake inside maya. Added a few layers of detail- scales and further tweaks with nDo2.

raptor01version02.jpg
    raptor02version02.jpg
    raptor03version02.jpg
  • Popolo
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    I like where this is going, great work man.
    The only complaints I've got is that It would really improve if you added a specular highlight around the eye and around the mouth.
    The second thing that bothers me is the base. It gives a weird vibe with the "mudcake" effect you got going. Try to add a different material to the base or make darker dirt on the "lower" part.
  • davidosterlind
    Offline / Send Message
    OK! Another update on this guy: Added a base to frame it a little better and hide the ground showing on the sides. Added a few stones and tweaked the lighting. Minor texture tweaks as well. I tested the light setup with a turntable animation and took screens from that, that's why the shadows point in different directions. In addition to images, I will present it with a turntable when its done, it soon is. I will tweak the ground texture some more, adding more green to the parts where grass or plants grow from from. Other than that, Hmm, I don't know, suggestions?

raptor01.jpg
    raptor02.jpg
    raptor03.jpg
  • neilberard
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I love it! Great job. My only crit is that the base is pulling my attention away from the raptor. Right now it feels too bright and not as finished which is somewhat distracting.