Things done today:
    Added plants
    Added a rug
    Added Decals
    Updated Bricks with cracks
    Changed wall texture
    Played around with sculptris
    Had delicious BBQ

Im still trying to decide what to put in the center of the pool. I want to put something more unique then a statue, but I just can't figure out what could work.

56121.JPG
    9605Capture.JPG
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    R0gue3: My humble advice is to not get caught up with size and proportions. Don't over complicate things. Stick to the reference where you can, but all the time you spend messing with size, could be time you put into your assets. As long as the size of the room is roughly similar, as well as the assets, and general placements, you'll be fine. Don't go crazy tweaking proportions; instead make great art!

When/if an art director looks at your piece he/she isn't going to judge how closely you stuck to the concept you chose for it- he/she couldn't care less. He/she is going to look at how your piece works in-and-of itself.

My 2 cents

Edit: What I've been seeing from peoples renditions so far is not enough depth. everything looks too squished together. You want some breathing room. Some room to roam. Something that is going to make it look appealing and not like an enclosed clostrophobic box. My advice is to push that depth a bit. Give your assets some room to spread their elbows so-to-speak

Edit2: Last advice before bed. Don't let the concept be an excuse for poor art or poor art direction. Don't just "stick" to the concept art- Transform it! Put your personal touch to it! Make it better!
  • tkfxity
    RogelioD wrote: »
    Edit2: Last advice before bed. Don't let the concept be an excuse for poor art or poor art direction. Don't just "stick" to the concept art- Transform it! Put your personal touch to it! Make it better!

I agree 110%! Use the concept as a guideline, not as a rulebook!
  • piko
    geez, its day 4 and you guys have this much done!? I'm not even sure how to block it out properly, but better to try than stand by and watch other ppl grow; so here's my colour breakdown...

colour_breakdown.png

edit: is the picture showing up now; I'm sharing it via Dropbox. If not I inserted the actual link below, hopefully that I can do right...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckmmx59gy4h0gur/colour_breakdown.png
  • tkfxity
    @piko - your image is not showing up for me.
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    hey folks !

My first preview in UDK:

screengyn.jpg
  • jsargent
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    Might be a good idea to post the concept artist's name in the start of the thread :) Only polite to do so really :) Sorry if its there and I've missed it! Good luck everyone.
  • Carter
    Offline / Send Message
    Carter polycounter lvl 12
    tkfxity wrote: »
    Things done today:
    Added plants
    Added a rug
    Added Decals
    Updated Bricks with cracks
    Changed wall texture
    Played around with sculptris
    Had delicious BBQ

Im still trying to decide what to put in the center of the pool. I want to put something more unique then a statue, but I just can't figure out what could work.

56121.JPG
    9605Capture.JPG

Woah lots of progress, I would take a look at your paving slabs as they look too much like clean patio slabs throw in some subtle overlays, splotches of moss roughly the same colour as the plants, cracks and minor colour variations to make them more 'grounded' with the surrounding scene these ones look like they are pretty much new and were immediately broken up. Plus I know its a wip but the tiling texture on the right of the second image really draws the eye
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    jsargent wrote: »
    Might be a good idea to post the concept artist's name in the start of the thread :) Only polite to do so really :) Sorry if its there and I've missed it! Good luck everyone.

Good idea, someone posted on his blog to let him know about the thread though so he may even be watching right now! :shifty:
  • Esselle
  • Moonshank
    Offline / Send Message
    Moonshank polycounter lvl 7
    Esselle Dat Ass :D can you show the statue in closer detail. Not sure what's going on in the bottom section.
  • Kharn
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Moonshank wrote: »
    Esselle Dat Ass :D can you show the statue in closer detail. Not sure what's going on in the bottom section.
    "The bottom section" hehehe you said bottom hehe...

Anyways how free are we with the styel of the temple ? the concept is quite vague, with just plain walls and pillars etc.
  • Moonshank
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn That was an unintentional pun but I'll take it :D I think most people are doing what they feel fits the concept so expand upon the original all you like.
  • steppan
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    So finally I've managed to get home after spending the weekend away and I can see that people have wasted no time in getting going with this challenge.

Bit nervous [not sure if the right word ?] as this is my first time doing this, so very much a noob; but I'm all up for challenging myself and hopefully learn plenty.

Anyway here's my concept breakdown - colour coded to represent what will be mesh and what will be texture, including a 'list' of assets which need to be modelled

dyozye.png

and here is my blockout I've done quickly to get me started:

2qb668k.png

Comment/Crits/advice always welcome... that's what I'm here for :D
  • Esselle
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle polycounter lvl 10
    What's wrong?
    jpjwjk.png
    Anyway i guess that a bit of "customization" may be good :)
  • Moonshank
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't mean the actual ass :D I was meaning the bottom of the square bit :D
  • Esselle
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol!

Anyway what's a square bit? the base? :poly122: Maybe in that case the wrong is the awful normal map
    907the.png
  • Moonshank
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the base part in the water
  • Moonshank
    Offline / Send Message
    me and Blazed are doing a google+ hangout if people want to join https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/9cee45d9e35581a6f3795c6d3616e91e1e8e07e7?authuser=0&hl=en

think that should work if not PM me
  • rockguy
    Esselle : before giving any feedback, is this the first time your are using UDK , is the normal map a work in progress?
  • skeletal_raven_arts
    Offline / Send Message
    skeletal_raven_arts polycounter lvl 5
    I just did this, am too nood and this is my 1st time so any advice?

382243_535624293136250_929541198_n.jpg
  • rockguy
    skeletal_raven_arts : you may want to have an actor or character to scaled right you scene , if you are planning on using udk you can export a model by going into the browser editor.
  • Esselle
    Offline / Send Message
    rockguy wrote: »
    Esselle : before giving any feedback, is this the first time your are using UDK , is the normal map a work in progress?
    It is not my first time using udk, but i'm still a noob so i'm glad to receive feedback and criticisms :)
  • tkfxity
    Carter wrote: »
    Woah lots of progress, I would take a look at your paving slabs as they look too much like clean patio slabs throw in some subtle overlays, splotches of moss roughly the same colour as the plants, cracks and minor colour variations to make them more 'grounded' with the surrounding scene these ones look like they are pretty much new and were immediately broken up. Plus I know its a wip but the tiling texture on the right of the second image really draws the eye

Thanks for your feedback, I will be revisting the slabs soon. I have been eyeing them as ive worked on other things and really dont like the way the texture turned out.

Also are you talking about the tiling texture on the floor?
  • RootLocus
    Moonshank wrote: »
    me and Blazed are doing a google+ hangout if people want to join https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/86367394a6771628f0865bafdd5fe1e17ae5851e?authuser=0&hl=en#

think that should work if not PM me

I've been refreshing this thread for almost the entire day and I still missed it. Darn!

BTW: It worked ..
  • rockguy
    Esselle : Its only a small comment but the model seems to have some weird smoothing groups problems , as for the normal map its not showing that well, may need to reimport the texture be sure to have selected the invert green channel option.
  • Moonshank
    Offline / Send Message
    RootLocus wrote: »
    I've been refreshing this thread for almost the entire day and I still missed it. Darn!

BTW: It worked ..

I've updated the link to the hangout if anyone is interested

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/9cee45d9e35581a6f3795c6d3616e91e1e8e07e7?authuser=0&hl=en
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    If you have UDK you can go to the editor browser look for an actor and export it as an OBJ.

Been busy the past week, so about to get started on something tonight. I've been trying to export a character from the udk but it says this when i right click it in the content browser:

1XyJH

Any ideas? I'm a total noob at udk, so i'm not even sure if this is the right mesh I should be exporting

EDIT- nvm, i fixed it. I went to file>export>selected on the character and it did it :D
  • rockguy
    uberphoenix : ajajaj good to know, I was about to post some images of how to do it.
  • Carter
    Offline / Send Message
    Carter polycounter lvl 12
    tkfxity wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback, I will be revisting the slabs soon. I have been eyeing them as ive worked on other things and really dont like the way the texture turned out.

Also are you talking about the tiling texture on the floor?

Yes the tiling soil texture on the right of the image just drew my eye I think as its a bit more noisier than the surroundings once you revisit the slabs the problem should disappear : )
  • Volantk
    Offline / Send Message
    Volantk polycounter lvl 11
    Still blocking things out. Trying to put a slightly different spin on it. And of course I had to play with some post effects before posting.

MonthlyNoobChallenge4_WIP_04.png

Edit: The "official" angle

MonthlyNoobChallenge4_WIP_04_alternateAngle.png
  • RootLocus
    Volantk wrote: »
    Still blocking things out. Trying to put a slightly different spin on it. And of course I had to play with some post effects before posting.

Edit: The "official" angle

MonthlyNoobChallenge4_WIP_04_alternateAngle.png

Looks like a gigantic radioactive pill.
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome concept! I don't know how but I'm gonna get some spare time to do it! :)

Outstanding work so far people!!
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix : ajajaj good to know, I was about to post some images of how to do it.

Ok, once I try to import the obj into max it tells me there is nothing to import? the obj is 1kb big...not sure what i am doing wrong.
  • EddieG
    Well folks, what am I doing wrong here? Tring to learn about Normal maps but I cant seem to figure out why the top portion of my model is not being part of my normal map. My steps were first creat a low_poly model of the wall. Second I made sure to model in some Control edges in order to export it into zbrush. 3rd model a high poly version with all its details. 4th open XNormal and import both High and Low poly meshes and render out a 1024x1024 normal. So why is the top part of the model not part of my Normal map? Thanks for your feedback.
  • EddieG
  • Steen
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    EddieG, did you unwrap the UV's on your low poly model? If not, you need to so that xNormal knows where to draw when you render your maps. Otherwise it's just going to render based on whatever uv's your object has by default.
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Going for a more beat up look to my stones.

Thanks @Moonshank for the tiling in one direction tip.

FfPOPn3.png
  • EddieG
    Steen no I did not. Thank you very much
  • rockguy
    uberphoenix : Now Im not so sure considering you been having so much trouble, usually you just double click the mesh there is an option to export in diferent files obj,asc, fbx, etc., that how I exported some meshes to scale my scene.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Count me in!

ELWf55l.jpg

Pretty happy with my layout of everything, but I haven't set up a good camera yet. The FOV of the pool seems to be about 70, but for the placement of other elements in the world space it appears much lower.
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix : Now Im not so sure considering you been having so much trouble, usually you just double click the mesh there is an option to export in diferent files obj,asc, fbx, etc., that how I exported some meshes to scale my scene.

Here is the one im trying to export as obj and import to max

1XHbE

You've seen before what i get when i try to "export to file" by right clicking it.

I've placed the mesh in the scene in udk, and selected it then went to file>export that way but max says there is nothing in the obj file.

am i looking in the wrong place for models?
  • Brandon Kern
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon Kern polycounter lvl 11
    EDIT: I'm gonna use this texture for some other part, not the floor.

Okay guys, I tried a different workflow for this texture since it's my first time doing an actual normal mapped texture thats tiled. My first attempt was really bad, I didn't even bake it. Sorry if I'm not up to par with some of you guys, this is my first time doing this stuff after doing low poly spec stuff for an indie game for like 8 months. I love seeing the progress of everyone, it's really motivating me!

Anyways...

So here's my sculpt (2 bricks sculpted and put in an array and rotated for variation + grout was added along with angular and height variation before bake):
    1XDMc

And heres my baked out norm, spec, and diffuse on my modular
    floor planes (150x150 units):
    1XHCR
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Oh wow guys this is amazing, and what an awesome and inspiring thread! I just glimpsed at last month's and I was awed!!! I just started a new environment, so I do not want get get distracted, but count me in for NEXT MONTH'S contest!! I will follow this thread closely too. Its mind blowing seeing how you guys doing this work
  • rockguy
    uberphoenix : So I asked I few people that know better UDK , and aparantly I screwed up badly , those cant exported becuuse cooked packeges , wich is weird considering most of the meshes can be exported , I really feel bad for gaving miss information I do have an obj. of the ironguard is there a way I can post the file or send it to you.

Again sorry.
  • R0gu3
    So, I lazily searched and was unable to find an answer so maybe you guys can help. I like building in pieces in Maya: Is there a way to export them as a group or what have you and then import them to UDK while keeping the information there so when you drop it from content browser it's still assembled?
  • Toafer
    Offline / Send Message
    Toafer polycounter lvl 5
    R0gu3: Part of what makes UDK awesome is that you can build with modular pieces which involves importing the pieces of your level and then assembling them into the building or structure or whatever it is that you are building. It is also less taxing on the system since UDK can instance these objects when you duplicate them in the map. If you really want to import your entire structure as a group you can combine the mesh in Maya and then export it and import into UDK. Or you can keep everything separate meshes, select everything you want to export and export, and then when you import there should be a check box that says something like "combine meshes into one object". I don't have UDK installed on this computer so I can't tell you what it says exactly lol. This way you can keep the meshes seperate in Maya but when you import them into UDK they are combined into on statis mesh. But like I said before, the most efficient way would be to export all of your modular meshes and build them together in UDK :)
  • R0gu3
    @ Toafer: Ah yeah, that's what I figured, I just wasn't sure if there was a way to bring in the modular pieces in the same layout as in maya IE I have my floor main, and my floor trim and the pool laid out and aligned in maya and want to ring to UDK while still holding where they're supposed to be but it looks like i gotta reassemble so to speak once it's in UDK
  • Tomm
    Some more progress.. I know the contrast is horrible.. well, first time hand painting an environment. And I hate the small floor tiles, will probably re-paint them.

gate_wip.jpg
  • Toafer
    Offline / Send Message
    Toafer polycounter lvl 5
    R0gu3: I see what you're saying now. Yeah, you just have to reassemble in UDK. No shortcut around that part :( lol