Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Natural Selection 2 lab environment

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
I plan on making an environment in UDK from this Natural Selection 2 concept.
aoriginalconcept.jpg

The project is due May 2nd.
Goals of the project are:
Learn the art side of UDK.
Learn modular building techniques.
Push texturing skills, especially material definition.
Fit nDo2 into my workflow.
How to organize large scale scenes.
...I think that is it.

I began by highlighting unique assets in the concept.
assethighlight.jpg

Then in maya did a block out using a grid system to ensure they will all snap together when the assets are eventually brought into UDK. I made some slight changes to the concept by making this lab like a inspection point for the pods. So the track enters into the lab from one side, and cycles all the way through out the other side. I also put a big electrical junction box on the wall to break up the repetition of the pillars. I am still a little unsure what to do with the ceiling pieces where they connect to the walls, I am not sure if I am happy with how they look.
Roughly the same view as the concept.
roughconceptview.jpg
Top down view to see what I added.
topdownh.jpg
View from the other side of the lab
otherview.jpg
View through the window, looking to the area that is not in the concept.
windowview.jpg

I took my blockout and sent it to UDK just to check the height proportions were OK.
udkview.jpg

Nothing to exciting at this point, but I plan on starting my modeling in the next few days. Thanks for looking, and any feedback, critiques, and comments are welcome.

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I think I nailed down the modular pieces and repeating elements at this point. I am also pretty happy with how I designed the rest of the lab.
    Top view.
    topviews.jpg

This is the right side of the concept which you cannot see, in the concept. I added overhead pieces which I want to make some type of venting system because it looked so empty with the large gap between the ceiling piece and the wall.
    rightsidel.jpg

This is the front view of the lab, which is directly behind your view point in the concept. I need to figure out something for that wall. I am thinking a sign or something above, and then maybe a small electrical box or something. I am not to sure yet.
    frontviewsb.jpg

I think I am going to start cranking away on the high polys tomorrow. I want to get the large pillars, wall tileable texture, and floor tileable textures done as soon as possible so I can get the thing into UDK. I am not a big fan of the grate flooring from the concept so I have to experiment with some other options. Will post fun stuff tomorrow lol.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Normally I just jump into high poly modeling like an idiot, but I decided to be a little smarter and slowly build all my main pieces together. So I started making "mid polys" of the pieces I need to get the base environment together. Then next I am going to make the high poly for all of them, and use NDO2 for some of the smaller details.

The concrete wall tile, and the floor tile that will be on upper floor area.
    wallandfloortile.jpg

Track piece and support beam.
    trackandsupport.jpg

Pillar piece.
    pillarh.jpg

Basic industrial light.
    lightm.jpg

Floor tile pieces. I plan on using polished concrete as the main material, and use the metal sci look as the trimming for it. I think it break away from that normal generic paneling you always see. Then the other tile piece is the drainage which I think looks better instead of having the entire floor covered in grating.
    floorandpod.jpg

I wanted to avoid the simple sliding scifi doors, so I took inspiration from Paul Pepera (http://www.peperaart.com/) who did those awesome mechanical doors. I don't really plan on having that much detail in mine but I am happy with the basic structure so far. Would really like some opinions on this piece so far.
    doorss.jpg

Thanks for looking. I will be doing lots of high poly modeling this next week.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the highpoly done for the pillar, messed around with having it be like a cooling system for the environment. Going to use NDO2 for some of the smaller details.
    pillarrender.jpg

I don't really want to put creatures in the pods because I think they will be obviously tiling, and I find that kind of boring. I plan on making a creep looking egg that kind of still fits into the Natural Selection world a little bit. My friend Kyle painted me this, his blog is here. http://kylesewnarain.blogspot.com/
    52649910151257451761956.jpg

Let me know what you think.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Banged out this today.
    trackandmount.jpg
    Not a lot of detail needed for it since it will be connected to the ceiling. I was more concerned with the silhouette. Also the I noticed after rendering it that the edges were a tad to sharp, so I softened them up. I will be posting some more high polys later.
  • _DMage_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a very nice Level Of Detail you got there, Cheers :D
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks _Dmage_

Got these done today, and started making progress on the pod which should be done tomorrow.

I messed around with the design for the light to give it a little more of an interesting shape. I don't now if I like how the light looks curved like that, so i might change it, idk.
    lightkj.jpg

This is the pipe that is right down the center of the concept.
    overheadairpipe.jpg

This is the pipe that has the lights on it you see in the ceiling, and going through the pillar.
    lituppipe.jpg

Thanks for looking.
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    VEry nice good job bud love those pillars
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Raptor.
    I finished the high poly for the floor tiles.
    floortiles.jpg
    The left one is the drainage ones that will sit below the pods. And the middle one is the walkway that does down the center.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ceiling piece.
    ceilingpeice.jpg
  • Aerashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good Bard :) Couple things from the original concept that I liked and don't see in your build at the moment.

1 - Split in the overhead rail. I like how in the concept the rail veers right but there's still enough straight track for a few globes to be separated off from the line. If this is an inspection room, what happens to the ones that pass/fail? Think about moving the curve back towards the camera the length of 2 or 3 globes. I did a quick paint-over of your layout to show what I mean. (A) is the idea straight out and (B) is slightly tweaked in case the right side looks a bit bare. Bonus of B is an extra rail going left to right (I like interesting stuff going on at roof level :D)

bardfeedback.png[/URL]

2 - This may come later in your workflow but I like the verticality of the orbs in the concept. See on the right how some of them have moved up to get over the consoles, getting some of that in there will be more interesting to look at. In conjunction with (A) you could maybe have the arms on the ones that have failed inspection be fully extended so the globes rest almost on the floor and are open.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Loving what you have done so far.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Aerashi
    I didn't really like how the overhead railing was split like that in the original because it didn't fit with how I built the right side which is not seen in the concept. If you look at the right edge of the concept it has like a medical inspection light looking thing so maybe I can build a split over there where the ones that have a problem are sent in a different direction. I will think about changing it though, thanks for the idea. As for the pods themselves I plan on doing a simple rig for them so I can adjust the height as I need them.

@JamieRIOT
    Thanks dude
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the pod today. I am pretty happy with how it turned out.
    podsss.jpg
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to much work done this weekend.
    I redid my light, I decided I didn't like the shape. Didn't bother re-rendering it though.
    redidlight.jpg

My friend Kyle once again helps me out lol. He did a paint over on my block out so I could make it look fancy.
    doorpaintover.jpg

I decided to take a modular approach to my computer console. I realized I need about 4-5 different computers in the scene, maybe more. And it would tile to bad if it was just one piece placed through out. This why I can quickly build different computer stations without much difference resource wise, and save a bunch of time on the modeling side.
    controlconsoleblockout.jpg

Thoughts and feedback are appreciated, thanks.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    how many polygons do you predict the scene will be? im building a similar one and im kinda worried about my polycount but i saw that your objects are much more complicated...
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 wrote: »
    how many polygons do you predict the scene will be? im building a similar one and im kinda worried about my polycount but i saw that your objects are much more complicated...
    No way of knowing at the moment. All the models I have posted so far are my high polys, so I wont have any triangle counts on any of my assets until I build my low polys next week. Don't stress polycount to much, just use polygons where you need them to get good normal map bakes, and hold the silhouette of your object. Just to give you a frame of reference to go off of my pillar, including the little side connection thing, will probably be around 2,000 tris. The pod, not counting the creature inside, will probably be 2,750-3,000 tris since it is rather complex.

I made the high poly window today. Kept it fairly clean and simple.
    windowframe.jpg

My friend Kyle finished the paint over for the door so that should be a boat load easier to model. I am going to have to mess with the design of the console on the right because it might not fit into the area I have blocked out for it. I will be posting the highpoly for it tomorrow hopefully.
    door4.jpg
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just have to tweak some things and add some small detail, but the door and the railing are pretty much done. (ignore floating piece on the right lol)
    dooru.jpg
    Onto the low polys!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So unfortuently I am not going to be able to complete the scene in its entirety. I had to kind of scale back what I had because I lost 3 weeks of work time due to some things that came up. On the flip side, the time I lost got put towards working on getting my portfolio ready for internships, and doing an art test for Massive Black, which landed me the internship! I will post the art test once I get permission to.

So I kind of took everything and made a little hallway scene. Here it is.
    hallway.jpg
    I feel like the scene is a little to small and closed off. I would love some advice on a way to open it up a little bit with the assets I have, or just a better layout overall. Here are some ideas I have.
    -Make a T shaped or L shaped hallway. Problem would be that the tiling might come off to strong.
    -Quickly finish the railing asset, already has a low poly, but no UVs. I could take the existing metal texture from the window and use that to save time. Replace the windows with a railing instead. And use the windows to break up the near and fall walls more. Maybe combine this with the T hallway layout mentioned above.
    -Bring the pods on the inside of the window and make the hallway wider. The problem is that I have no way of covering the boarder of the whole I would need in the wall where the pods will enter.
    -Use the window as a framing element, and create visual interest on whats going on outside the window. Maybe have like rows and rows of those pods kind of like farm type thing. Remove the pillar from the left side, and use them on the other side of the window and have my scene out there.

Note: I have not setup any shaders for anything yet. Everything is just simple diffuse, spec, normal, emmissive, and opacity so far.

Any feedback, or ideas, would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Hi there! Congrats on the internship!

I'm one of the NS2 env artists, and I can give you a bit of feedback to make this more in line with the NS2 maps if you like.

Firstly, it feels very blocky. It feels more like a concrete bunker than a lab/research facility or whatever. It's the blocky walls and 90 degree corner that is doing it.

I would start by working up the floor a bit more. Have a main pathway with side trims, and add in more geo! Get some depth in there to get a bit of visual interest. Get some big chunky floor panels in there.

The walls also feel very blocky. I'd maybe try making a few different trims and stuff, to break it up a bit. Don't make it go straight up, try and get a few different shapes/depths in there to break the verticality of the wall up a bit.

Try and do something more with the pipes too. They kinda just end. Maybe if they had a 90 degree turn and come down just above the doorway then went through the wall? Might look a bit more interesting.

Your materials need a bit more definition too. As I mentioned before, it feels more like concrete than metal, so try increasing the specularity, decreasing the glosiness, and I'd remove a bit more of the grime. As I also mentioned, get some panels and trims in there! Wiring, cables, etc, it all helps.

Some computer terminals or something might help too.

Keep up the good work and best of luck!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa! You are like the perfect person to get a critique from lol. Thank a lot dude!
    So I made some of the tweaks you mentioned today.
    hallway20.jpg
    I think it helped a lot. The scene feels a lot less boring for sure. I will mess with the specular and shaders tonight and see if I can push the metal more. I think once I get the cube map in there, tweak the spec maps, add reflections, and some better lighting it will read a lot better. I am not sure why the window isn't getting any highlights at the moment :/ it looks super flat, but it has a few lights near it.

If I have time I would like to add a little keypad to the door, and some wire bundles. I am running short on time because this is due Thursday, so we shall see what I can get done in time lol.

Thanks for the help! I will post more progress tonight, or tomorrow.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I pushed the lighting a bit further.
    Added reflections to windows, and floor tiles.
    Added distortion to pod glass.
    Fixed the annoying normal/shading issue I was having.
    wipshot.jpg

Things to do.
    Make a basic wire asset to added some visual interest to the scene.
    Make a little computer screen for the doors to make it more interesting, and create a new light source.
    Figure out a shader for the creature and pod to make it look like it is suspended in water. Any ideas?
    Tweak lighting more.
    I don't think I will have enough time, but a little box asset or something to add to the hallway would help a lot.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
  • Parth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parth polycounter lvl 10
    Nice! I feel like you can repeat the normal map on the red stipe a bit more. Right now it looks stretched
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed some stuffs, added a little keypad to the door, pushed the lighting, added a little post processing to pop the contrast.
    finalscreen1.jpg
    This is what I am handing in today for class. I am not entirely thrilled with the end result, but I am super happy with how much I learned. I might keep tweaking it a little bit this summer, or I might take what I learned and do something else. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I will post some more screens and stuff later!