Home General Discussion

Monitor recommendation

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
SnowInChina interpolator
hey folks

i am looking to buy a new (actually two) monitor and the one i am considering right now is this one

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-27-Inch-Super-IPS-Professional-Graphics/dp/B009C3M7H0/ref=pd_cp_pc_2"]Amazon.com: ASUS PB278Q 27-Inch WQHD LED-lit Super-IPS Professional Graphics Monitor: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

has anyone any experience with this one ?
i also thought about the dell 24" since i am going to buy two and i don't know if two 27" wont be too big, but the dell screens get really really warm (we have them at work)

the monitor will mainly be used for 2d/3d stuff and some gaming

if anyone has some real good recommendations i would be grateful

ps.: whats really important is, that you have the same color on the whole screen, right now i have a cheap 27" from samsung and the top half of the screen is always darker than the bottom.. yep, its a viewing angle thing, but its really annoying

Replies

• disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there. Why does it bother you that the monitors get too warm? I just got the smaller 21.5" and it is my first ips monitor and the difference between it and my older tn panel monitor is huge- i was not expecting it.

I was also researching about monitors and I found great site that lets you compare them by the panel that is inside them as most of the time that's LG or Samsung as far as my research has gone at least- meaning you could find other brands monitors using the same panel and some might be cheaper . There are also some great reviews in that site so check it out.

In another thread here somebody suggested [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o__mNAvav7k"]this.[/ame]
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=crossover+27q
    I was considering it but I was worried that if something happens with it I will have problems with the warranty so I just got Dell from a local reseller.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    like i said, we have dell monitors at work and they are really good, but here in germany its not common to have ac`s at home and i don't want to die in the summer
    (we had 35-40°C during summer at work because we are 9 people in one room with each 2x24" dell + pc)
    maybe its not that bad with only two in one room

and i saw the post with the crossover too, but same as you
    I was considering it but I was worried that if something happens with it I will have problems with the warranty so I just got Dell from a local reseller.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Dell uses panels from LG, Samsung, etc, like most every company who makes computer monitors. The point is that computer monitors radiate heat, and an Asus or Nec monitor may be using the exact same panel as the one you will find in a Dell. So it doesn't make sense to avoid Dell specifically.

Which model Dell do you have at work?

Generally, larger monitors give off more heat. You could also look up the power usage for various monitors, the more juice a monitor sucks the hotter it will get, most likely. LED backlight vs CFL might make a difference too.

But yes, there is a huge different between 9 workstations(your computer gives off a lot of heat, probably more than your monitor) in a room and 1 computer at home.

I have a dell 24"(2408wfp) here sitting next to an Asus 20"(pw201) and do not notice the heat levels on the dell being any higher, despite being a larger panel.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Which model Dell do you have at work?

Dell Ultrasharp U2410

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dell Ultrasharp U2410

That uses a H-IPS panel from LG.

The lower end e-IPS panels have less power consumption and should generate less heat. So the Dell 2412m with its e-IPS panel would be ideal

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1312883832

It looks like the power consumption of the 2412m is half of the U2410, the 2412m is also less than the U2311h 23" monitor as well. So again, not all monitors and especially not all monitors from one brand are created equally.

power consumption applet:
    http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1289897858

Now, the u2410 is a 10 bit H-IPS display, which is top of the line, while the 2412m is an 6-bit e-IPS, which is sort of mid range(but still way better than your typical cheap consumer TN panel).
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    iam not really sold on the 2412m
    the reviews basicly say "yeah, its fine, but the U2410 is better"

if iam shelling out money for two monitors it should be something iam happy with for the next few years

hm, maybe i will just get two Dell Ultrasharp U2410
    at least there i would know what exactly iam getting

still looking for someone with first hand experience with the asus monitor

thanks for your feedback eq
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    like i said, we have dell monitors at work and they are really good, but here in germany its not common to have ac`s at home and i don't want to die in the summer
    (we had 35-40°C during summer at work because we are 9 people in one room with each 2x24" dell + pc)
    maybe its not that bad with only two in one room

and i saw the post with the crossover too, but same as you

get a portable AC unit on wheels. It will do more for boosting your productivity during those hot summer months than anything else. I speak from experience :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Ive been using LCD TVs works great..
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    Ive been using LCD TVs works great..

I never really understood why people do this, sure you can get a really large display this way, but you're locked at 1920x1080. Any decent 24" does 1920x1200, and decent 27's and 30's do even higher at 2560x1440 or 1600.

So yeah, a 42" TV is a lot cheaper than a 30" monitor, but all you're getting is huge pixels, plus you need to be a lot further from the display, so, whats the point again?

When 4K tvs come out maybe, but not at 1080P.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    This:ASUS PB Series PB278Q 27
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

If you wait you can snag them open box about once a month if you're lucky for like $560.

The reason I prefer Asus IPS screens is they have something called tracefree and it drastically reduces ghosting when you game, so it's a very versatile workstation monitor. The Asus proart series is just as good and a lot cheaper. I have owned all of them except for one.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I never really understood why people do this, sure you can get a really large display this way, but you're locked at 1920x1080. Any decent 24" does 1920x1200, and decent 27's and 30's do even higher at 2560x1440 or 1600.

So yeah, a 42" TV is a lot cheaper than a 30" monitor, but all you're getting is huge pixels, plus you need to be a lot further from the display, so, whats the point again?

When 4K tvs come out maybe, but not at 1080P.

because I spend 70% of my time in Myanmar (burma) availability of 30 inch displays is non existent... next best thing is a 32 inch LCD TV (Sony bravia that I paid about US$350) Its wall mounted and slightly further away than a monitor and it works out just fine

also my laptop is powering it so 1920x1080 is pushing the resolution maximum
  • Bruno Afonseca
    disanski wrote: »
    In another thread here somebody suggested this.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=crossover+27q

I followed the advice in this thread and got one. Love it :)
    Ordered one with the HDMI and VGA ports, so a lil bit more expensive. Didn't ask for a pixel perfect one, I took the risk and got lucky :)

The HDMI port only goes up to 1080p apparently, VGA and DVI go to 2560x1440 but my laptop only outputs in VGA, so the image is not that sharp... Nonetheless a great deal
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    This is my monitor, this is my screen!~

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=224-8284&redirect=1

It is awesomesauce with cool on top. Can't recommend it enough. It does feel like a tanning booth when you have bright colors displayed on it though (and sit close). Good on a winters day.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I hope this isn't going to derail the topic but I think it kinda fits in and I don't want to make another thread but does anyone have suggestions or thoughts on dual monitor stands?
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    This is my monitor, this is my screen!~

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=224-8284&redirect=1

It is awesomesauce with cool on top. Can't recommend it enough. It does feel like a tanning booth when you have bright colors displayed on it though (and sit close). Good on a winters day.

i had this one on the radar too, not too sure what to think of it yet
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    aajohnny wrote: »
    I hope this isn't going to derail the topic but I think it kinda fits in and I don't want to make another thread but does anyone have suggestions or thoughts on dual monitor stands?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Monitor-Stand-clamp-monitors/dp/B002R9HQLI"]Amazon.com: Dual LCD Monitor Stand desk clamp holds up to 24" lcd monitors: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

If you really need them is the question because they can get bloody pricey depending on the quality. You can get a really nice H-IPS panel for the same price as some of the better stands :)

@SnowInChina Using a HP LP2475w (love it to bits) and a HP ZR2440w (nice but very bright in comparison). The ASUS PB278Q is a great panel no doubt, only nag is the price tag.

Don't worry about heat, if you have the cash get them. 54 inch ips viewport = :thumbup:
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    about the size i would recommend you to go with 2 24`s because most of the 27 inch screens got realy visible backlighting that fades from the corners.
    this can realy be an issue if you are working with colors and need the whole screen, like for composition etc.

only exception are OLED displays, but they are expensive as fuck.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    There is also a pls LED samsung with great specs.

I'm looking at dell 2413. The dell 2713H was an option for me, but this last one has too many issues and it's quite expensive so i'm waiting to the LG 27EA83. http://pcmonitors.info/lg/lg-27ea83-with-adobe-rgb-led-backlight
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    thanks for all your input

i guess i will roll with 2x Dell U2410

this way i can also save some money to upgrade from my bamboo to an intuos