Home Technical Talk

Xolul Installation Problem

poopsterspappy
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
Hi All,

Typically I would not ask for help on a matter like this as finding the answer is predicated on using google. However it seems as if I have exhausted my options and am now turning for help after a couple of hours of frustration.

I have turned off UAC in windows 7 X64 Pro
I have turned off Read Only on all Max 2013 folders
I have tried to resolve problem as an administrator and regular user
Gamma Lut is turned off(even though it is not related to this problem)
I have dragged and dropped the .mzp file in the viewport as well as running it as a MaxScript.
All folders and files seem to be in their appropriate directories as defined by Laurens.

With all that being said I am stumped and appealing for help.. Thanks Avi

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    what display driver are you using? Try changing it to Direct3D.
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Direct 3D 9.0 Quadro 4000 Thanks Avi
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I have this same issue and no one would answer my question either.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You might be missing some DotNet runtimes. trying getting the latest ones from Microsoft.

I'm not entirely sure about the error though, could you show me the full error text it gives me in the Maxscript log ?

edit: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1765852&postcount=517

Alex: I checked, your problem was a different one, the FX file is obviously missing. As was pointed out. Did you get that fixed or do you have another problem ?
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Im having that same error showing up when I trie using the shader as these guys. What do I do to get this FX file?
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

Man I tried every .net runtime I could. No fix to this point. Even reverted bax to Max 2012 to no avail. I gotta be missing something. Man I wish I knew how to script.Anyhow thank you for your time . I know your busy.

Thanks Avi:poly121:
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The FX problem is when you get "unknown property .... in (null): DirectXShader". It means your installation failed for some reason, and you are missing the actual xoliulshader.fx files in 3dsmax/maps/fx. You can fix that by simply opening the MZp with winrar, locating those FX files and extracting them to the maps/fx folder.

The DotNet issue is just puzzling to me. This is basic 3DS Max functionality afaik.

Can you open the Maxscript listener (F11) and type this into the pink field:
    temp = dotnetclass "System.Drawing.Image"

and then hit enter. It should print a blue confirmation in the white field that just states the class again. if you type temp again and hit enter, it should confirm again. If it's saying undefined or some error then I know DotNet is just not working globally.

Edit: can you also check if the folder 3DSMax\Scripts\XoliulShaderUI\images is present? Same for a \temp folder in that images folder. It should contain a "NoImage.png" file.

Anyway guys, honestly this thing just needs a bit of rewriting to avoid problems like these. Ever since I changed job I've had trouble finding the time for it, but I will try.
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

It does state the class again, dotNetClass:System.Drawing.Image is returned. The images folder is present. The .png file is actually... Off_NoImage.jpg

Thanks a million, Avi
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Yep, I did the same and got the same results as poopster. I found these .fx files I think. Are they the Xoliulshader_2.0_max2009.fx and Xoliulshader_2.0.fx folders? If so I couldn't find the maps/fx folder to extract them too. I have the cubemaps folder but I don't think that's what you were referring to.
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase, I'm a bit of a noob to the Xoliul so take what I say with a grain of salt, I may be wrong but The Xoliulshader_2.0.fx file is the Shader without the snazzy UI it has the functionality of the 2.0. Paste it in your C:ProgramFiles/Autodesk/3dsMax20XX/maps/fx directory. I have had problems with Max 2013
    DX 9 in the viewport with Nitrous disabled and the gamma settings properly set. It's not the shader, as usual it's Autodesk fixing something that wasn't broken in the first place. BTW the stripped down shader seems to work fine in 2012 :\
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It sounds like everything is in order, even like it's able to create the temp images. Can you double check that all the xoliulshader/images files have been extracted from the archive ?
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I keep getting this error, not sure if Im doing this right. I dragged the .mzp and installed it and it sayed it installed scripts successfully but it wont work..Tons and tons of errors

34fzntg.png
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    The .fx files were already in the fx directory poopster and all of the image files were extracted though I'm getting the same error as before

28625112.jpg

I really appreciate the effort you're putting in to get this shader working for me Xoliul. I have no idea what I'm doing with scripts haha.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poopster confirmed this, but I'm not sure in your case: is UAC off/set to the lowest level? Do you have admin rights on your pc?
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah admin rights are set. What's uac?
  • Norman3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Xoliul! I just wanted to recommend that you move all the folder structure of Xoliul Shader to the userscripts folder.
    Many of us can't turn of UAC at work. And the user folders are meant to be used for these type of situations where files need to be installed or created/modified.
    Unfortunately we can't install Xoliul at work due to its folder structure, which is a pitty :(
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Norman, I know this is a solution, and have looked into it. Unfortunately because of the way the shader's been written and the fact that I didn't write this part of the code, it's not the quickest or easiest thing to change. Also I think in this case it's not the problem.
    I might just have a look at it again now though.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Is UAC in the script itself cause I can't find it
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Xoliul,

I really appreciate you tending to this. If there is anything else you need from me let me know. I hope to get it up and running as it's such a great labor of love on the development side. Thanks again :)
  • Xoliul
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey i made an update:
    http://www.viewportshader.com/XoliulShaderUI_update7.mzp

Try this please. I'm not officially releasing it yet, want to get it tested a bit first.
    The installation script was acting funny on my pc: i didn't write this so it's hard for me to fix this. You might have to manually uninstall the old one and then install this. Let me know if that's the case.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    It was giving me the same error. I can't uninstall the old one without the same error that I was getting when I tried running the script.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok well try the following to get rid of it manually:

(all of this is in you max install folder)
    in 3DsMax / scripts delete the whole XoliulShaderUI folder
    in 3DsMax/scripts/startup delete Xoliulshader_startup.ms
    in 3DsMax/maps/fx delete all (2 or 3) xoliulshader files

Now try the installer again. If you can't drag and drop the mzp into max, do script > runscript on it.
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Xoliul,
    So here are my findings.
    1) After deleting the Xoliul Shader files and their folders from C:Program files/Autodesk/3dsMax2012/Scripts (and Scripts/Startup folders) the Xoliul shader Icon still exists in the Material MapBrowser drop down. Should this be?
    2) The original Xoliul installer made a parallel installation in the following location
    C:Users/Avraham/AppData/Local/Autodesk/3dsMax/2012-64bit/enu/Scripts (and Scripts/Startup folders). I deleted all Xoliul files and folders from all locations
    before manually installing the update 7.
    3) I did not re-manually install the update 7 files in C:Users/Avraham/AppData/Local/Autodesk/3dsMax/2012-64bit/enu/Scripts (and Scripts/Startup folders) and upon startup I get the MaxScript Autoload ScriptError attached as label A
    4) The Xoliul Shader now will not load unless the files and folders are placed in C:Users/Avraham/AppData/Local/Autodesk/3dsMax/2012-64bit/enu/Scripts (and Scripts/Startup folders) as well as C:Program files/Autodesk/3dsMax2012/Scripts (and Scripts/Startup folders)
    5) I even went into the Registry to make sure UAC is completely disabled

Admittedly I am not very savy when it comes to diagnosing scripting issues. Perhaps a clean install of 3dSmax is in order. I do apologize if this is because of my error. Thank you again,( ad nauseum )at this point I'm sure..LOL

P.S I just tried in Max 2013 and I get similar but not Identical results. Let me know if you want screengrabs or MaxScript Listener files
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for confusing you guys a bit, here's what I'm trying to achieve:

• Easy install with no manual effort required. If you need to do something manual, I need to fix it because this is wrong.
    • Install the shader ONLY into userscripts. Nothing related to xoliulshader should be present in the program files/autodesk/3dsmax directory.
    • Hopefuly fix this dotnet thumbnail issue
    It looks like you have messed things up a bit poopster. Try clearing everything (scripts and userscripts) so you can start with a clean slate. I have uploaded a new installer on the same link. It should only install to userscripts and work flawless on restart. If it doesn't, report back what it errors with and if you can tell, what files it failed to install. it's much harder for me to pinpoint the exact problem if you manually try to move and fix files like you did last time (since I have no idea what you do and if it is correct).

Thanks for the help testing! Let's get this sorted!
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I'm guessing if it says Upgrade instead of install I didn't fully delete everything before?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Xoliul,

Was away for a couple of days, the new iteration works like a charm. Thanks for this a million times over.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great news. Glad I got this sorted for you guys.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I never got it to work and now after deleting all of the files I get this error whenever I go to Render to Texture :/

61035959.jpg

After I close the exception error I get a message that says --No ""+"" function for undefined
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase, you still haven't deleted all files, or you haven't installed the latest version. Errors are to be expected if you've got a bunch of partially removed files lying around. It works fine for me here, no errors in RTT.

Try just reinstalling the latest version from the website, see if that fixes it.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    IT WORKED!!!!!! HOT DAMN IT WORKED :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There you go, glad to hear this. It's a bit my fault that you had these issues, because I gave you incomplete test versions first. But you contributed to fixing it:-)
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Sweet deatl Xoliul! Glad to have contributed :)