Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Photo Realistic M4A1 (W.I.P)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Three65 polycounter lvl 6
I feel like I am betting a dead horse by doing this model, however I am new to modeling both High Poly and Game Ready modeling to boot. However I think the M4A1 is a good overall gun to start with since it has a lot of interesting shapes to it and poses a good challenge. So I am looking to do something that is photo realistic as I can get. Any feedback you have or I would love to hear. Also one question I had since this gun is so different on both sides, how would I go about welding it back together once I have completed both sides? Is it just a matter of matching edges back up and adding to one side or the other to get it to work?

Here is the wireframe views, there is a lot going on but I guess they don't call it high poly modeling for no reason at all :poly122:

leftwire.jpg

rightwire.jpg

Here are some quick renders I did in Vray, the nice thing about rendering is that is shows you things that you may have missed, such as some pinching and verts that are a little out of line. I have already fixed the few things I noticed while doing these renders. But perhaps you guys can point out other things I missed.

leftsideg.jpg

rightsidep.jpg
leftper1.jpg

leftper2.jpg

leftper3.jpg

rightsideper1.jpg

rightsideper2.jpg

Replies

• joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    you might want to keep the amount of loops/edges down in some places to better be able to control your mesh.

that + together with accuracy, see the round piece around the trigger (the curve closest to where the magazine goes in).
    that is supposed to be round, where in your model it has gone flat, probably because of adding edge loops and not making them follow the curve.

might also want to recheck this part and how it "connects"
    90067784.jpg

edit: seems like there is a variation where it is like you modelled it (altough that seems to be a airsoft one), but if it actually exists, ignore the above :p
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I feel like you might be working at cross purposes here, trying to do both a game model and a photo realistic hp. Edges on the high poly generally have to be much softer than they are in real life for normal map baking purposes. So my advice would be to model the hp for the normal map rather than for what looks real.
  • Three65
    Offline / Send Message
    Joeriv, thanks for the advice I will check my model when I get a chance along with some more Ref images to work out the trigger. As for the break down pin I think that everyone builds them a little different and some have them cut into the outer ring like that and some dont...lol :\

Bek, sorry if this sounds stupid but could you explain a little more about what you are trying to tell me please. I just don't understand what you are saying o.O
  • Dim
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Three65 wrote: »
    I feel like I am betting a dead horse by doing this model, however I am new to modeling both High Poly and Game Ready modeling to boot.

Just my opinion, but honestly, you may be better served by avoiding the AR15 family and finding some more unique weapons that haven't been created before (or not well at least). There are so many fascinating weird ones that would meet your needs for modeling practice while also being really different and interesting. You're probably not going to be able to compete with folks like jfletcher in terms of quality right off the bat.

Couple good places to start:
    http://www.forgottenweapons.com/
    http://rareantiqueandbeautifulfirearms.tumblr.com/

Bek is also right, you kind of have to choose: either photoreal, OR game ready highpoly. There are definitely some requirements for baking that take photorealism off the table. You also have to consider aliasing. There's a handy instructional image floating around.....

Anywho, what you have looks really good. Those are just my two cents.
  • Three65
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dim I appreciate you taking the time to reply and for your two cents :)

So forgive me if I am not getting this but what is the difference you are trying to point out between either going photo real or game ready high poly? Is it the amount of sharping on the corners? I have never baked nothing in my life so this is all new to me, perhaps I need to do some reading and find out more about this.
  • Dim
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Found the image I was looking for.

Other important stuff to know:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196
    http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryBumpMap%5Cb%29

66q0O.jpg

When modeling, it's also very important to keep in mind that normal maps don't really have height information, so you will need to model certain shapes unrealistically to account for this.

NormalMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=normal_slopes_hatred.jpg

I'd definitely recommend reading up on it and doing some test bakes BEFORE you get too far on the model, because retrofitting a high density model like the one you have is a colossal bitch.
  • Three65
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dim, I appreciate you taking the time to actually find this for me and post the links Ill go do some reading now :)