Home Technical Talk

Padding trouble... (3d max)

WorldMaker
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
WorldMaker greentooth
Hello guys, i try to bake LightMap to simple object. I'm using for
tests mesh with uv and one standart light.
Mental ray as a renderer.
In the 'Render to texture' i set Padding = 10.
But padding crashed into black.
Here pictures...

27343027.jpg

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not really sure what the issue is, it looks like you're getting the result I'd expect? If you want the padding to extend further, increase it from 10.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    As you can see from picture you have element background set up as black so that's why. You got perfectly normal result. Try to turn GI on first, read Help a little and ask again with more specific question sir.
  • WorldMaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WorldMaker greentooth
    cupsster lol? I don't need GI here. Ye, my
    background is black... and WHAT ??!! Do u rly try to understand what i want?

Sean VanGorder no... i want result like on the pic below..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to dysfunctional relationship between RTT and MentalRay...

Try adding only one thing to the output in RTT, right now it looks like you have two things, try doing it with only one thing and see what you get.

For me mental ray screws up the padding anytime I add more than one thing to the output.

AO only, works fine.
    Diffuse only, works fine.
    AO and diffuse, fubar padding...
    3dsmax_MentalRayPaddingIssue_AO.jpg3dsmax_MentalRayPaddingIssue_N.jpg
    (and wrong background color even though its set correctly in RTT)

Scanline lets me stack up all the output I want and gets the padding right, but it doesn't do AO the same way MentalRay does. If you want AO with scanline you have to set up some custom lights, switch your material to white and render a diffuse pass with shadows turned on. Saving a scene state helps with this.

Or just use Scanline for everything except AO and then clear the list, switch to MR and render AO.

Or just use Scanline, forget about rendering AO, take your normal map into photoshop and have the xnormal (or a few other) photoshop plug-ins calculate a rough AO pass for you.

If you choose to dump the list and switch from Scanline to MR, save right before you clear the list, dump it then reload the file that way you're only having to setup the AO pass. It's totally gimped up but it works until they get off their asses and fix it, (going on 2 years now)...
  • WorldMaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WorldMaker greentooth
    Mark Dygertvv thx a lot man. My face face is realy hurts becaaause of "Facepalm" from 3d max's buuuuugs. What a stupid soft...
    So is there any way to bake soft light map in 3d max ?? Using photometric lights,
    diffuse reflections and so on...
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    I've been rendering in MR with Padding off because of this, and then using the xNormal filter in photoshop instead (script an action). If your outputting as tga just make sure to untick pre-multiplied alpha.
  • WorldMaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WorldMaker greentooth
    solar thx i'll try...