Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blood Elf Spell Breaker Final

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
I should have made a thread about this showing process, but I chose to see it through to the end before posting it up. I posted a 'finish' up in the WAYWO thread before, but I pushed some of the colors more, and made a pedastal. I hope you all enjoy this, as much as I did making it. Feel free to crit or ask any questions about the process. I'm pushing my skill in the hand-painted texture style for a while, so expect to see more. peace..

bebeauty.jpg
becolorturnaround.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
beturnaroundwires.jpg
bediffusetextureslayout.jpg
beturnaround.jpg

Replies

• butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Sick ass texturing man
    Eggcelent job!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    woah. thats good work.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Hot! Kinda feel like you could have gotten away with a little more color variation/gradation to help lead the eye around the character, the reds are very monochromaticly shaded. Understand if it was a stylistic choice, just feel a little red-orange or red-purple could have gone a long way way to help the design.

freakin love the eagles, the stomach belt area kicks ass, those gloves rule too. The flesh and hair kinda blend together a little bit, maybe the skin is missing some warmth?

my last comment is about consistency of detail. The chest strap gold engraving stuff is great, but it almost feels like a separate piece than the detail on the back, belt, and shoulders. Same goes for the skirt & back - the styling is similar, but the heavy bevels seem inconsistent with the back, that has more rounded details (and vice versa).

this is really a kick ass piece, can't wait to see the next one :)
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    thanks you guys :)

@ Moose-- great crit man-- yeah, one thing I'm really needing to push is painting other colors into the separate materials, while keeping the painted surfaces (i.e. metals, cloths, skin), color families, and values consistent.

definitely going to push all that you mentioned in my next piece
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Did you bake AO to the vertex colors? Is there any reason to do that because you could bake better quality AO into the actual texture and it'd look better, if what what is the 3rd image then?
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ ZacD-- I painted in my, would be, "AO"-- darker values in the same color family around areas that would potentially cast the soft AO shadows, rather than bake the starting texture manually. The last image of the figure is purely flat viewport shade, where as the top image was painted on a little more for those areas, and has a little bit of post production of the real-time AO stuff in Max with the Flat shade turned on as well.. I hope that isn't too deceiving. I made it a point to paint in my own AO, but the real-time effect richened it a little further, and it's dynamic.. Thought it looked cool..

Edit:

oh and ZacD.. sorry bout that.. the 3rd image was made from the viewport screen grab script and layered onto the gray model in PS.. the wires were also made from the same script as well. by Leslie Van Den Broeck

Here's the script

http://leslievdb.com/grabviewport.htm