polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
dirigible polycounter lvl 8
//EDIT//
CURRENT PROGRESS
EK1KnhJ.jpg
//EDIT//

Hey, Polycount.
I'm working on a character for my portfolio, and that character is General Triplescar, by Ruslan Svobodin!
e712817edb1c13e18dff4044fedca707_org.jpg

I started with a body blockout and the head-sculpt (the fun part!)
U9sxyDZ.jpg
still not sure if I'm gonna do his sideburns with polys or cards...

now I'm moving on to modeling his armor.
zIJFAMF.png
Figuring out his pauldrons was a bit tricky - I started out with a geometrically perfect 5-pointed star, but I couldn't get it to look correct when I wrapped it around his shoulder. Wound up just molding a shell, then cutting the star shape out so that it more closely matches the concept. I'd better get used to it, since that same design - star within a star - appears in several places on his armor

My general plan is to model the full character, basing his lower body off of early/ornate cuirassier uniform. I might decide to scale it back to just the upper body, though.

Comments & critiques are welcome!

Replies

• dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    HQ5mvqV.png
    Small update on armor, finished the gorget and the front and back breastplates.
    My dedication to realism won out over my dedication to sticking 100% to the concept, so I added the seam in the gorget. Otherwise he would have a hell of a time taking it off.

Looking at the straps on the breastplate I think I might have made them too small - might go back and beef those up.
  • kevino025
    Offline / Send Message
    kevino025 polycounter lvl 10
    Its looking really good so far. Just two things I noticed.

The straps on the shoulder guards seem to be a bit thicker in your reference than in the model. The other thing I noticed was the curvature on the star shaped tips seem to be a bit off. It might need just a little bit more curvature. Then again it might be the angle.

Cheers!

uZeVnTq.jpg

FbGfFhO.png
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh that's gonna be nice :D
    I actually really dig the surface quality of the lowpoly retopo-ed head mesh. I know it's a bit of a byproduct of course, but somehow I hope that it'll be reflected in the final model!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    this look like its gonna be epic!
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    @kevino025
    Thanks for pointing that stuff out!
    @pior
    Thanks! The head is currently just decimated, but I'll try to keep the fidelity when I make the actual low poly.
    @lotet
    :D

I made adjustments to the straps and pauldrons, which holy crap it was annoying getting the pauldrons to be the right shape without poking through themselves.
    YR9SMxW.png
    I made the epauletts wider and thicker overall, as well.
    PujDEhJ.png
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    quick test of how I'm planning on doing his scale mail (courtesy of http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110764). I think I like how it came out.

oYi3ux2.png
  • makecg
    This is going to be really nice. i like the chains
  • kevino025
    Offline / Send Message
    Scales are looking really good as well as the shoulder guards. Thanks for sharing the link for the chain mail thread. That is a great addition for my tools, will be experimenting with that later.

Keep up the good work!
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    Slow progress...
    2xlZ0SL.png

Still putting off the lower body at least until I get his upper body a bit more filled in.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    slideknit is so fucking awesome
    agGZf0V.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    beautiful!!!!!
  • THEONLYraider
    Offline / Send Message
    THEONLYraider polycounter lvl 6
    That looks really good man. Really enjoying this thread.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    @butt_sahib
    Thanks!

@THEONLYraider
    Thanks, man! Good to hear its an enjoyable thread.

Some updates on his cuffs. I wanted to get the high poly finished by this weekend, but that's seeming less and less likely. Progess so slow, urgh.
    VDpFE0o.png
    KMPg6Ed.png
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking fantastic!
  • kevino025
    Offline / Send Message
    The glove is looking great and love the scales Im trying to use the script but its not working for me. Are you using the slideknit on Max or Maya? Im trying the maya script and its not working for me. Unless Im missing something. I copied the scripts to the scripts folder and have my commands ready, yet nothing happens.

Just curious.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    @skylebones

@kevino025
    I'm using Maya 2013, but I'm pretty sure it worked in Maya 2012 as well. If you type "mopKnitOptions;" (minus the quotes) in the mel command line and nothing happens then check to make sure you put the scripts in the correct folder. If you get the popup window, but nothing happens when you try to unfold a model, make sure that your model has at least 1 UV seam. If there are no UV seams at all, it can't figure out what to do. Not a problem for most models, but I have run into it before.

Update on the lower body. I still want to add in a bit of doublet showing over his pants, but after that I think I'll be done with major pieces of clothing, and can move on to ornamentation & hair.
    O5hJzHy.png
  • kevino025
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info dirigible, will try one more time when I get some free time. I am using 2013 as well.

As far as the pants it seems like you mirror the wrinkles which will make it look way to repetitive. Its better to get to the point of the wrinkles and do the wrinkles for each side in this case leg individually.

But since you already got the wrinkles in there you might be able to break the symmetry and sculpt some breakups on one leg, then do some minor changes to the other making it even more distinct than the other.

Looking forward to the next update,

Cheers!
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    @kevino025, thanks for the crit!

My approach for this is to maximize my ending texture resolution by mirroring everything that I can. I figured that the pants were low key enough (not a center of interest) that I could mirror them without it being noticeable. But you obviously picked up on it.

I guess the question is whether or not having the wrinkles mirrored is distracting or noticeable enough that its worth the unique texture space. If anyone else wants to weigh in, that would be helpful. I'm gonna keep working on other parts of him for now, but I'll keep it in mind.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    3FcNaNm.png
    Having a hell of a time getting the fibermesh to do what I want it to. Anyone have tips, or links or something? All the groom brushes pretty much seem to just make it go crazy...
    xASnTc4.png
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    Been retopologizing everything, ran into a bunch of headache figureing out how to do his little rope things around his chest without spending 3K tris on them. Wound up deciding to bake them onto a 'sash' card.
    fMvgDLn.png

Spent a lot of time in zbrush trying to figure out fibermesh. I had a sort of hazy idea of what I was doing, but nothing concrete. Now I understand the workflow a bit better. Also added some more detailing to his head. Adding pores to a face always seems to make it look 1000x better.
    34NR37E.png
    I was originally planning on doing his 'burns with cards, but looking at how dense they are it seems like I could easily do them as geometry.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone - long time no update!

Got everything baked out and started setting up materials in dDo. I feel a bit limited working with dDo so I think I'm gonna switch back to vanilla photoshop from here on. dDo is pretty great for setting up materials, but the interface makes it pretty awkward to add specific details and adjustments (for me). Maybe I just need to spend more time with it.

rtfwv6o.png
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing! Good choice on not using Ddo completely. Vanilla photoshop all the way, especially for a piece like this.
  • makecg
    Nice job on that chainmail man
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    EK1KnhJ.jpg
    I think I'm nearing the end on this guy. Messed around with a rig for a long time today, till I remembered I don't know know how to rig :\

Any last comments/critiques?
  • djgardner
    Why not re-topo within ZBrush?
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    djgardner wrote: »
    Why not re-topo within ZBrush?

Ehh, I tried retopology in zbrush a while ago but it never really felt flexible enough for me. I just like 3dcoat better. The retopo controls are more intuitive to me, and it has a couple nice features - like being able to subdivide, add edge loops, UV precisely, etc.

The low poly is about 15K tris, and uses a 2048 diffuse, spec, gloss, alpha, and normal by the way.

@makecg
    Thanks man! It's super satisfying to see that stuff work out correctly.

@BenHenry
    Yeah, dDo was really great for getting my bronze looking bronze and my velvet looking velvet, but the rigid file structure that dDo needs makes it really hard for me to add and change stuff manually.