Home Technical Talk

Windows - BSOD 124 - When using Shaders

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
Hey to all,

I keep on getting a weird BSOD issue (124) whenever I'm doing anything with shaders. This issue also extends as far as using CE3, Unity or UDK when creating shaders.

I did a quick google with the ID number, but most of it seemed fluff, so I was wondering if anyone here might have experienced said issue based upon using graphical math tools only, and how did they fix it.

Cheers!

Replies

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Well if it is shaders and CE3 doing it it could be a graphics card issue. Have to tried doing a clean install of your drivers? or rolling them back to a previous version?
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep and yep, although even then I'm limited since I'm on a laptop and have to use manufacturer drivers.

Cheers.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    hmmm have you tried running any hardware tests on your video memory? graphics cards? and/or ram?

Laptop video drivers are such piles of shit lol so it just might be that unfortunately.
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Bsod 124 is related to graphics card and usual symptom of failing overclock (probably not your case here) or failing graphics card :/

I hope I'm wrong. Anyway what I would do is change/reinstall the drivers (especially if you changed them before having this issue).

And, my bad for not reading the answers here, so ignore this.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, read that too about graphics card failing, etc, hoping not to be the case :P

Will try running a couple of tests, although I find it strange that this happens when I'm working specifically 'with' shaders and other nick-nacks, but if I 'play' a game, nothing happens for hours on end.

Cheers.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Prime95 has a feature called "Torture Test" that allows maximum stress testing on the CPU and RAM (let it run for at least 6 hours)

Yes over clockers use it but it can rule out any cpu & ram issues on standard systems. It can also be software related (people tend to disagree with me on this but one onOne plugin with PS has caused a bsod on a number of occasions) Test your ram with Memtest86+.

Good luck