Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ostrov - Game Characters

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
theStoff greentooth
I am going to post here and hopefully get some feedback. Recently I've been working on a school project in a team to create a game using the cryengine. For it I've been creating characters, below is the most recent one I am working on (the village leader). I am hoping to get some suggestions with folds, especially in the sleeve area. Something seems off but I'm not sure how to improve.

RoCE5.jpg

On a side note I'll likely post other completed characters for feedback later as well as more detail about the game.:)

Replies

• RailbladerX
    Offline / Send Message
    RailbladerX polycounter lvl 8
    On first glance id say there is not enough folds wrinkles around the belt section. that looks like pure cloth, if the case, those things fold and wrinkle the hell out of every cloth like material they rap around.

Well, i am also practicing Clothing folds (enviroment/hardsurface modeler so its just something i am dabbling with). But i got a buddy who does nothing but characters with cloths; hes like the go to guy where he works.

He says that if it looks wrong, Flatting it. Folds and wrinkles are not ment to be round and smooth all the time. some times its just better to throw on some gravity, and sharpen up the folds, and then smooth them out later.

I am sort of butchering what he said. So i hope it at least gives you an idea of what road to look down.
  • theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    I think I see what you are saying. I've been playing around with the h-polish brush which I understand to have a similar effect. Although, I've never tried using the gravity deformer. I'll play around with that and see how it works. Thanks for the tips!
  • theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    I finished up that character. Here is the high poly and a screen cap of the low-poly in Maya. I did sharpen up the wrinkles in some areas as well as added a bit more detail.

CUpffrD.jpg
    Bpr3dP9.jpg

I also started working on another character for the game but it still needs work and suggestions are appreciated. I'm especially concerned with the face and neck area. (the hair is a placeholder)

QdGPd9s.jpg
    8X1za6o.jpg