Offline / Send Message
AlbinLundahl polycounter lvl 5
[LATEST UPDATE]
scificadetbeautyshotone.jpg
scificadetbeautyshottwo.jpg
scificadetconstructions.jpg
scificadettextureshot.jpg

[PROJECT DONE]

So I'm going to start my next character project, made from this awesome concept by Fernando Acosta:

FA_BHW_PAWN_Page10Sample_1200.jpg

So note, concept is not made by me! Visit fernandos portfolio at http://cargocollective.com/facosta. The version I will be taking on is the one to the right, with the Academy Outfit.

I will be using Zbrush and Maya for the Highpoly, not sure if I will present the final lowpoly in UDK or Maya. I started out by making some kind of reference and materials sheet, trying to understand the biggest parts of this character. Excuse all the confusing lines.

materialandreferenceboa.jpg

Next, I will make a simple backside concept, since Fernando had not completed that part. He did help me with some reference ideas though, so I'm sure it will work out. Please check back here often for more updates, and feel free to comment anything you can think of, all critique is welcome!

Cheers!

Replies

• Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    really like the concept, I think this is going to turn out very interesting, watching :)
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    hurry up already =)
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conceptback.jpg

So this is my progress on the back concept. Been avoiding the area where I have to design myself, sigh. Gonna make some tests tomorrow. Just been copying and picking colors, flipped the sillhouette and drew on that. You can really tell the same guy did not do the right one ^^

This is what Fernando himself though was inspiring for the back, a small jetpack, kinda lite minority report (Of course, this is not made by me either, if that's not obvious):

jetpack_big.jpg

I'm gonna try out some designs tomorrow
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    This looks really interesting. I must watch.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    subbing... this looks juicy!
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox wrote: »
    subbing... this looks juicy!

^^^:poly142:
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since Fernando was nice enough to promise me a simple version of the back-concept by next week, I abandoned my own try at making the concept, which in the end will make the model more unified, designed by the same person.

Instead I started on a base model to build the character on, just to get the anatomy and proportions somewhat correct.

wipanatomy1.jpg

Please feel free to rip me a new one on anything anatomyrelated! I really need some feedback to figure out what's wrong. And yes, the face is very manly at the moment.

Cheers!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working some more on the base mesh, struggling alot with anatomy and trying to get some basic likeness to the model which the concept was drawn from (Erin Heatherton, possible NSFW link)

This is what I got so far:

wipanatomy2.jpg

wiphead2.jpg

wiprender1.jpg

I'm not there yet, but at least I'm learning alot from the progress. There's something not quite right with the proportions, her head area feels wrong witht the upper torso. Might be size of head, size of neck, I don't know, gonna look into it tomorrow. And the head is not nearly looking like the model, I'm not even sure it looks good at all.

Hopefully I can start on the blockout of the rest soon, Fernando will probably finish back-concept this weekend.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice starts but some of the proportions looks a bit off... i'm no pro at this but torso looks long while legs are shorts, forearm is too long and upper arm is short.

There's something strange about the armipit/shoulder area but i can't put my finger on it.
    Also her abs are maybe too large, and now that i look back fingers may be on the short side too.

Hope it helps
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot, will try to make appropriate changes first thing tomorrow! :)
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipanatomy3.jpg

Tried to make some changes to the proportions, made her a bit taller, longer legs mostly, longer upper arm, tried to fix the shoulder area, and worked some on the hands. Think I can start blocking out the armor and clothes soon, just waiting on that concept. In the meantime, please tell me anything you think I should change.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    albinback.jpg

(Made by Fernando Acosta)

Fernando just delivered the rough concept of the back, and here it is. Gonna start blocking out the different parts of the character tomorrow. Check back then for more updates!

Cheers
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipblockout1.jpg

Started woking on blocking ut all the different pieces, using both maya and Zbrush.
    Still a lot of pieces to make, but I'm happy with my progress, although I've had little time to work on it this week. Let me know if anything stands out, but there's gonna be a lot of tweaking when the blockout is done. And Most of it might look wrong because essential parts are missing.

Hair is just a reference, gonna figure out how to make hair later.

Stay tuned!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipblockout2.jpg

Didn't get to work that much on this today, but atleast I was able to tweak some things and add the "collar" and boots.
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    I'm really digging how you're handling this. I think you've cleaned up a lot of the proportions and scale of things. One of the things that still looks a little weird is the neck. Specifically the curve you have from the base of the skull to the top of the shoulder/middle of the trapezius. Actually, I think what might be throwing me off is that you're simply missing the trapezius altogether. Whatever it is her neck just doesn't feel right.

Also, don't be afraid to duplicate some of your subtools in zBrush and sculpt out some forms using dynamesh to get a feel for some of those hard surface details.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! I will try to look into the shoulder area, my knowledge of musculature is not perfect, but I will do my best! Is it throwing you off a lot with all the clothes on too, or is it mostly on the base body?

I'm a little afraid to go haywire in zbrush before having the base shape of all the pieces up, but as soon as I've blocked most of it out I will start playing around, getting a feel for the different shapes.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipblockout3.jpg

Managed to get some smaller parts blocked out today. Still got the jetpack/backpack to do, but after that i'd like to start defining some more of the bigger shapes before blocking out any more small details.

I kind of like this workflow I'm having right now, but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to redo alot of it when I begin sculpting, so I'm gonna start trying stuff out now, see where it leads.

Check back soon!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipdetails01.jpg

Some more pieces blocked out, and started defining some of the bigger shapes more with details. Kind of just experimenting right now, gonna have to rework some of the areas probably, trying out different techniques for folds and wrinkles and whatnot.

Kind of happy with the overall look right now, but I'm sure there are loads of mistakes all arouind, feel free to point those out! :)

Cheers!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipdetails02.jpg

Long time since I got to work on this, been really busy with other projects. Anyway, got some small pieces blocked out, but nothing major. Starting to feel my workflow is a bit slow, really need to bring this highpoly to the finishline soon.

Check back, hopefully soon, for more updates!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wipsmalldetails.jpg

And now, even more details! Still got some way to go though, planning to be done with the highpoly by the end of the weekend. Excuse all the similar images lately, but maybe it's a good way to show progress.

Cheers!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wiphpdone.jpg

So my HP was basically finished last week, still got some tweaks to do before baking I think, but i'll see how it works out first. Gonna add alot of details in the texturing phase, as my HP is kind of basic shapes only.

Started on Lowpoly this week, and I'm nearly done, got some objects left and then I'm gonna optimize. Kind of fast workflow since I'd already built many of the parts for my Highpoly.

wiplowpoly1.jpg
    wiplowpolyhead.jpg

My goal polycount is around 12k tris. Next week I'm gonna do the UV, bakes and start texturing.

Stay tuned, cheers!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polycountpostwiptexture.jpg

Been a long time since I posted, got lots to do at school atm.

It's coming along, started with the textures, but it's still really basic, mostly solic colors. Worked mostly on face for now, wanted to nail that first.

Also got some normalerrors which need fixing.

Please tell me what you think!
    Cheers
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow bad ass. I had these concepts in the "want to model" folder too. You did alot of pre-planning. That is awesome.

I feel like the freckles are slightly too intense. It may just be that it's a close up. I have had problems of the freckles vanishing because of mip-mapping. I don't know anything.

She seems slightly cross-eyed too. Are your eyes pointed straight forward?

Also, I feel it's really noticeable when hat bills are lower poly. It's hard to fix now but maybe next time bevel bill edges to make it look more round.
  • Xenia Stroganova
    Looking fabulous!
    Love it!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you nyx and Xenia! :)

Freckles might be too intense, will give more love to the details of the face, have too balance the intensity so it looks good enough on different distances. Eyes do point straight forward, going to try to make a pose for her soon, will adress the eyes then too :)

You are right about the bill, could propably use more polys. Could try and fix it, but as you say, might be too late. Will remember it next time at least. :D

Thanks for the feedback!
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    You have the scared or excited look going on with the eyes, enhanced by the fact the iris and pupil are a bit small, possibly the entire eye?

scaredeyes.jpg
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I see what you mean, will try to adress that :)
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    posewip.jpg

Late update, a little behind on this project, will need to finish it up soon. Worked on a pose, now trying to finalize textures.

Cheers!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pose2wip.jpg

Got some more texturing done, still not happy with some of the materials, but it's better at least. Aiming for having this done and up on portfolio by the end of the weekend.

Later!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    New person question: How much time did you spend with retopo? I'm working on this other character, and I just kinda barreled through retopo by trusting 3Dcoat's mesh and did very little adjustment in Maya.

Kind of have a feeling that's why I did a lot of normal fixing in Photoshop.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    she looks really cool! the red and blue lights could use more emissive or a glow over the top or something because they just dont look like they are emitting light in that latest shot
  • oskarreftel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She looks really nice! The metal on the knee pad gives a nice contrast. Maybe you could increase the shininess on the metal parts of her jet pack as well? I think you could add some shallow scrathes in the roughness map of some of her plastic parts too? Right now everything on her looks brand new, even though I assume her job would roughen up her gear somewhat even if it would just be by shoving it in her locker at the end of a shift.

This isn't really the kind of plastic you're going for, but it was the best I could find to describe what kind of wear and tear I mean:

plasticscratch.jpg

If you feel you don't wanna make any of those changes or that you're short on time, I think you should at least give her some more red and blue tones in her face and also work in some slight pores in all you're maps. Some darker areas would be good too, like around the top and sides of the eyes. If you're gonna improve anything, do the face, cuz I really think that would make a big difference.

Anyways, great work and see you tomorrow, Albin!... douche.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, gonna try to incorporate as much of it as I can this last weekend!

@Jadepanda: Retopo went fairly fast on this character, since I had modeled many of the different parts in maya before taking them in to Zbrush. All I had to do was to clean those meshes basically. Rest of retopo was made in zbrush, like for the face and body.
    @Ged: Good point, will try to up the emissive on those lights!
    @oskarreftel: Totally true, will try to focus on some subtle wear and tear for now. Also the face, think you're right that it will do a lot of difference. See you tonight!... douche.

Cheers guys!
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, at last, I'm done with this project, at least for now, might do tweaks for portfolio after feedback.

I want to thank all of you for your awesome feedback, it has been really helpful!
    And a special thanks to Fernando Acosta, who made the concept. Thank you very much for all the help along the way and for letting me use your concept in the first place, cheers!

scificadetbeautyshotone.jpg
    scificadetbeautyshottwo.jpg
    scificadetconstructions.jpg
    scificadettextureshot.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    she looks great but shes blending in with your background colour a bit, not a big issue but I think it affects how much she pops out the page a bit.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Your works like a breath of fresh air, thank you Albin - great results! Straight to the inspiration folder with thee :D
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged: I see what you mean, it's an easy fix, so I will attend to that, will fix them for
    @Torch: Thank you very much, that means a lot! :D
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Really glad that backpack worked out for you. As for the piece on the whole its outer this world man. Great job and have the night off. Back to art tomorrow :P
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Really liking the look of the character. I don't know really why she has that extra long strap on her left side. Seems like it might get in the way, but its in the concept so I guess there is a reason that I just can't think of right now. Maybe some a symmetry not sure. Anyway looks great.
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Di$array: Thank you very much, did have a good nights sleep after this :)
    @ZeroStrike: Thank you! As for the strap, i totally can't make up a reason either. Kinda helps with asymmetry as you say, but logically, guess it shouldn't really be there.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well this ended up really good! although the spec on her face looks kind of strange to me... a bit too uniformly glossy
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Brad and Fnitrox! :)

I agree about the face specularity, would need to take some more time to fix that, will see if I have time between all the other projects!