Home Technical Talk

CryEngine, two different types?

Whats the difference between the 'FreeSDK CryEngine3 Sandbox' and the other one 'CryEngine3 Sandbox'. Both of these I know have completely different splash pages when you open them up.

I am not interested in game creation or game design like most of the people who download it, I just want to be able to import my own content and create my own enviroments.

which version of the sandbox would you suggest?
because from what I have heard the only difference is one has waaay more assets and textures to work with

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Sandbox is used with the Crysis games for modding, the SDK is not, and is for making games/scenes and whatever.
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the SDK is not, and is for making games/scenes and whatever.

your referring to the freeSDK Sandbox you download for free on crydev.net I assume, cuz there are no links to another version, I have only heard whispers on the net here and there about the 'correct' or 'better' sandbox editor.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Feature wise they are pretty similar, but from my understanding the Crysis3 sandbox (coming with the game) basically lets you open Crysis' levels, mod them, and lets you make your own either from scratch or from Crysis3 assets. The freeSDK, however, has no Crysis assets in it (the main character is not in a nanosuit, the guns are not from Crysis, and so on). It comes with a few assets (the forest/island environment, and a buch of props and characters) but nothing like the Crysis3 version. I suppose this must be for obvious legal issues.

Also the freeSDK is likely to get more updates than the version of the editor shipping with a 2 years old game.
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Feature wise they are pretty similar, but from my understanding the Crysis3 sandbox (coming with the game) basically lets you open Crysis' levels, mod them, and lets you make your own either from scratch or from Crysis3 assets. The freeSDK, however, has no Crysis assets in it (the main character is not in a nanosuit, the guns are not from Crysis, and so on). It comes with a few assets (the forest/island environment, and a buch of props and characters) but nothing like the Crysis3 version. I suppose this must be for obvious legal issues.

Also the freeSDK is likely to get more updates than the version of the editor shipping with a 2 years old game.

Thats the answer I was looking for:thumbup: thanks for the info bub:)
  • SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    And as I remember it's forbidden to use the other if you don't own the Game, or to use it with other projects, rather than modding.

So if you want to create your own stuff, and not maps/mods for Crysis you should pick the Free SDK version. There's also a downloadable package of premade Crytek Assets you can use.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    (i just realized I typed "Crysis3" instead of "Crysis2", my bad!)
  • solarSailor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper wrote: »
    And as I remember it's forbidden to use the other if you don't own the Game, or to use it with other projects, rather than modding.

So if you want to create your own stuff, and not maps/mods for Crysis you should pick the Free SDK version. There's also a downloadable package of premade Crytek Assets you can use.

Your speaking of the free SDK that comes with that Forest Map thing, yeah that only comes with assets made specifically for the free sdk, just a bunch of tree's and houses and vegetation, nothing from Crysis.
  • SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    Yupp, just ment that version ;)

Also if it doesn't come with the Crysis Assets, you're also not allowed to import and use them in any other game (e.g. your own) except Crysis. (Also believe you should use the Crysis Mod SDK instead for this)