Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Persona4 Environment [WIP]

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Synyster polycounter lvl 8
[EDIT] LATEST

8576407460_5349b95fb6_h.jpg

8575311097_b767245cc3_h.jpg

Hey Polycounters! I've had free time over my winter break so I decided I want to tackle a Persona inspired environment. I loved the scenes Atlus made for P4 Arena and I'm going to try my best to recreate one of them.
Here's my reference I'm using
8374126007_8e45848c93_b.jpg

And here is where I am at the moment in my block out stage. The textures I have on some models at the moment are just place holders to get a feel for size. I believe my tiles are a little to big, I'll adjust them later down the line when it's time to start texturing everything.

8374127555_bab9ffbae3_k.jpg
8375195406_9dfa54b280_k.jpg
8375195188_e7cbe909ca_k.jpg

Any crits and feedback are much appreciated!

Replies

• Hatsya
    It's so clean, as clean as the screenshots above.
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the locker today. Here is a small update at where I am at the moment.
    8378254538_dd18f04ba0_k.jpg

I'm still not satisfied with it. I going to mess around with the base color. I'm going to add some blue, purple, and pink to it and see how it turns out. As always any feedback is great to hear! :)
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright after touching up on the Locker faces this is what I came up with.
    8377876581_2088eabec7.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Taking another look at it though I feel that I should tidy it up and make it a bit sharper :/ Well here it is on the model.
    8378950576_89d6ecbef7_k.jpg

And now it's time to work on the sides of the locker and to start texturing the bags on top :]
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Really like the rough, painterly look to the locker texture. Should be a nice scene if you can maintain that texture style.

keep it up.
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hayden & Hatsya: Thanks guys :)

I'm trying to keep this as updated as possible. I started working on the bags on top of the lockers. My photoshop file has been messing up recently. So while I try fixing that I'll show what I have at the moment. I still have to brush up the texture on the bags and fix the seams, but you can get the idea of where it's going. and of course any feedback is more than welcomed :)

8390537143_91ccf6b1af_k.jpg
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Looking pretty good so far. Persona is one of my favorite series so be sure to do it justice!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    I also love persona and im looking to forward to seeing if you can nail the art style.

Heres some feedback which might help:

I really like the painted style you have on the lockers, but remember to keep those details on it really crisp. (The grooves, hinges, handles.) Sometimes you can paint over sections which can look abit messy. Keep everything in a seperate layer in PS. So much easier to change it then :D Also in the concept the lockers look blue, but because it has a strong purpleish/pinkish light it gives the illusion its more purple/pink. Something to consider when working from this concept.

I would also start thinking about how you want your final composition shot to be. That way you can build everything within that shot. Unless you want to build a mini environment which can be viewed from all angles.

Other than that keep it up!
  • MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    man, this looks awesome! I totally love PERSONA so its nice to see a fellow fan :)

Digging the washed out painted look on the lockers allot. Are you going to do this scene in UDK ?
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Wow this is looking great so far, nice texture work. I'm not sure if I am a fan of the same word on each locker, not sure if it is supposed to be like that but that's just a nit-picky thing I have. I would love to maybe see some decals to break up some of the repetition and add more detail, maybe some dents or cracks, or even just a sticker or such (not necessary just a suggestion)
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Man I feel bad. I haven't touched this all day today T.T I'll work on it all day tomorrow and post more updates!

@Biofrost: Thanks a lot man! I'll try to give it as much justice as I can! ;D

cljohnson: Yeah I was thinking about that, I have everything seperated and masked, but towards the end I just merged them and tried making them tie together better. And I think the lockers are sort of green? but they could be blue? I'm not too sure? I will change them and mess with the lighting though when I have the chance. As for the final shot, I was taking that into consideration and decided to just make a mini environment. I already blocked everything out and start modeling some more stuff out to fill the whole environment out. I'll post updates when I can ^^

@MisterSande: Thanks! and yes I am :]

@aajohnny: Thanks for the good feedback. I was wondering if someone was going to say anything about the name! haha I was thinking the same thing in my head. Now looking at it, I'll probably make 4 variations and split them between the whole locker base. and I started working on some stickers to slap on the lockers like in the reference photo but I'm not sure if I'm legally "allowed" to just get logos from the internet and slap them on as a sticker or if I have to make my own sticker designs? does anyone know?
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I'm sure you can find some free stickers around, cgtextures has some too but making your own can be a plus :)
  • Snafubar7
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    Lots of cool blues and purples in the reference, you caught it really well in that locker texture. Making the rest of the textures match that painterly style and color relation will help.

Hope you can finish most of it before our classes start Feb.4th hahah. I'm wondering if I should rush something out last minute as well :P
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    @aajohnny: Yeah I think I'll mess around with making my own stickers. It may take longer but It'll be fun.

@Snafubar7: Thanks man :] And I should be able to finish it, hopefully ha If not I'll still work on it during the first couple of weeks of school :) I think you should try to make something small since we only have like 3 weeks left :o

Alright, I'm trying to see what I have and what I need to do/ fix. I still need to texture quite a lot of things and model a couple more doors and machines. I threw my whole environment into udk to see if I'm at least getting anywhere near to the reference and this is where I'm at.

8397065604_badd559899_k.jpg

8397064942_5c33a81df9_k.jpg

8395981369_de0199b39b_k.jpg

And I did a small paintover of some more props I want to add in.

8395980737_180c320191_k.jpg

Some things straight off the bad I noticed that is wrong is my tiling messes up on certain points on the floor so I have to fix that, and it's too bright. I need to get more cooler colors in this environment. So far I think it's coming along. Going to take a small break and go back and start texturing the umbrellas, vending machines, trash, and hopefully try to get some of those framed pictures with some textures. I'll post another update later tonight ;D
    As always feedback is always welcomed :)
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Sorry for the lack of updates. I just recently turned 21 and so my schedule has been not what I expected x) haha I've been working on this when I can though, and it's really coming along. Here is where I am at the moment :)

8406846115_2e47c0a3e4_k.jpg
    8406845685_4582b57fbc_k.jpg
    8406845199_5e05cc10aa_k.jpg

I still have a bit to go and things to polish up before I call this done, but I'm liking the direction it's headed so far. Some things I'm thinking of working on next is the plants, broom, doors, windows, and then go back to polishing up the floor and vending machine. Also I changed the color of the lockers but I'm not sure if I like it more now or how it used to be? :/ I'll keep experimenting with it ha
    As always feedback is always welcomed! :) Thanks for looking everyone ^^
  • CharlieD
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
    Hey how's it going man? I'm digging the texturing style. With that said, I think you're missing some of the elements from the concept that make that scene interesting; lighting and the colors. With the lighting and color saturation you have going on now, the scene looks very flat and bland. Try playing with your lighting to give more color, maybe try having harder shadows, have your lighting draw attention to focal points(both with where the lights are shining and with the lines it draws), adding more saturation, etc. From the concept and reference, the game looks bright, colorful, and stylized. That needs to pop in the scene.
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    @CharlieD: THANK YOU! Your feedback was awesome!! Just what I needed :) I will play around with the lighting fersur . It just may take a while because I'm running an old computer so it takes it a good while for it to cook the environment.
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I'm way overdue on an update. It took me forever to realize that I forgot about lightmaps in udk T.T That's why I never got the shadows from the windows. So all I've been doing is been playing with the lighting trying to get some of the colors from the reference and to get a mood. Takes me forever since it takes my laptop 10-18minutes at least to build lights on preview T^T But notheless I feel I'm getting a lot closer. I'm not sure why my shadows from the windows look all blobby though :/ I'm going to worry about that next week when I have access to a better computer. But from here I'm going to finish off my props and populate the scene with some more stuff c:

As always Feedback is always welcomed and thanks for taking a look :)

8423779545_8f0a60739f_h.jpg

8424868462_76fee59dc8_h.jpg

8423777695_dc1de104b6_h.jpg
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    School has been really hectic this semester but I've still been touching this up in my little spare time. I'm getting closer to how I want it but still not quite there :/ There's still a few more props for me to finish. Any feedback would be really awesome! Also there seems to be some huge seams that I'm not too sure of how they got there. It might be a lighting issue? either way if anyone has any clue on what it is I would appreciate the knowledge :D

8576407460_5349b95fb6_h.jpg

8575311205_cfc8d65192_h.jpg

8575311097_b767245cc3_h.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its starting to look really good, maybe play with your camera angle and fov? just so that the most detailed part of the scene is framed better as there is a lot of empty cieling and floor in your first 2 pics.
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ged, I appreciate the feedback! Yeah I've been playing around with fov. Right now it's at 100, but it can easily go to 110 or 115. I plan on adding some more props to populate the scene because it does look really empty at the moment.
  • ftorek
    ooo man - i really dig your last renders, colours and light is awesome!!

i'm not sure about the brick(?) floor texture - it seems a bit too contrasting (gaps between 'bricks' too dark) - and it's too distracting to what's actually standing on that floor (lockers)
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    haha good to see another persona fan! great taste!

scene is coming along. love the style, espeically the locker. Has that painterly look. Lightning is coming along. Still got some work, but its getting there. The ref pic you have has a lot of cool and warm colours together. It has that Makoto Shinkai style
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!
    @ftorek: Thank you for pointing that out. Didn't really realize that until you mentioned it. I'll definitely touch that texture up and make it so it doesn't stand out so much.
  • underfox
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    exactly what iciban said, the artwork as a lot of colour on the windows, stickers on the lockers.

and also i believe the ceiling is higher wich give the impression of space that your scene doesn't have at the moment.

other than this i really like your work and I can't wait to see it finished.The handpainted textures are really nice .

PS: I loved Persona 4 ;)
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update. I added some decals I worked on today. I didn't want to worry about any copyright issues or anything so I Painted all the decals rather than just copying and pasting them from somewhere. I feel that I didn't go crazy enough with the decals. I'll make some more variations tomorrow as well as placing more around the scene.

8584828594_cae8b0cf61_h.jpg

8583728415_b34e168b15_b.jpg

8583728143_c7b8096eb0_h.jpg

Also one last thing. Does anyone know why udk doesn't capture light shafts? Or is that just mine?

8583767375_0905b3f358_k.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    is your light shaft button on? also I can kinda see it maybe turn up the bloom in the light shaft tab
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I finally found out why it wasn't capturing the light shafts and bloom ect. Apparently when you tile shot it mess up the effects, so I found a reply to a thread with someone with a similar question Here
    Thank you Moose!
    So here's a small little update with me just messing around with some effects.
    8591439168_c12a0e1904_b.jpg
  • underfox
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    I think that the decals are too big and should be able to fit inside one of those lockers rather than passing on top of multiple lockers. It instantly give away the flatness of your model.