Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first time making an environmental texture

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
Hello,
I kinda took a break from all the hardsurface modeling and I wanted to look into making stuff for environments. So I just decided to make a quik brick floor texture

Here is the HP:
2f0ahw9.jpg

Here is the bake with the first texture pass:
99f2mg.jpg

I took the texture into an engine and it doesnt tile correctly :( But i know what I did wrong and next time imma make sure to actually test the tiling before I bake :D

Thanks in advance :D

Replies

• CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    The thing the stands out right away is the grout is completely black which is a bit unrealistic. Try lighting it up a bit and maybe add a sandy/graininess to the grout surface.

Would you mind posting images of your texture so we could get a more technical idea of whats going on?

Nice normal map though. Your moving in the right direction. Keep it up!
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I'm loving the normal as well :P. Like he said the black is unrealistic less your going for some sort of stylized manner stroke. There's a full tutorial on Zbrush's website for making these as well, he goes into the grout and goes into tiling methods if you ever want to go for a non-square tile. Keep it up!
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing the stands out right away is the grout is completely black which is a bit unrealistic. Try lighting it up a bit and maybe add a sandy/graininess to the grout surface.

Would you mind posting images of your texture so we could get a more technical idea of whats going on?

Nice normal map though. Your moving in the right direction. Keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback! Here are textures.
    I tried to brighten up the dark spots a little bit.
    2gy8uux.jpg

20130112085351.jpg
    20130112085552.png
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Do you have an AO map within your diffuse? Looks like that is what is making your grout look so dark. Maybe try turning down the opacity of your AO map.

Also adding is some blueish highlights to your spec will really help your stone material.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    Use a "selective color" -adjustment layer on the AO instead and make the black color on the AO a bit brighter.

Lowering the opacity of the AO also lowers the strength of the midtones: and sometimes you are only interested in correcting the shadows (or highlights) of a layer. Just a small tip.