Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Creation Thread

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Popolo polycounter lvl 5
UPDATES ON PAGE 2

My names Adam Olsson and this will be the place were I create items for my portfolio. This will be an ongoing thread during 3-4 months (around the end of march, beginning of april) before we have to apply for intership .

Project: KV-X2

Working from the model of Fichtenfoo. Basicly a world war 2 tank but with spiderlegs.

Concept:

kvx2announcment.jpg

Model:

kvbeauty.jpg

More images further down.

C & C is welcome :)

Replies

• hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    I like it! But your edges are really sharp. If this is the high poly (which is kinda hard to tell because of the sharp edges) you wanna soften them up a little to have a better bake, to not make the model look blocky and get more nice highlighting.
  • BasicallyNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BasicallyNormal polycounter lvl 7
    I like it! I also think you could add a bit of detail to the part below/around the handle, it's the biggest flat area of the weapon and seems to be lacking in interest. Maybe separate that giant piece and instead break it up into two or three different pieces with varying designs on them.
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Hamza: Thanks man :) Great feedback went over and softened the entire models edges to get a better nrm.

BasicallyNormal: Thanks :) Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to go to far away from the original concept. The idea for this piece is to follow the concept as close as possible to show that I can.

Update:

adamo2m.jpg

Think I'll start with the LP now, need to have it done for next week when Ben Mathis (www.poopinmymouth.com) is our guest lecturer.
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Finally an update! Got some time to work on it and now the LP and bake is pretty much finished. The LP ended up at roughly 6500 so I was able to keep it in my budget :)

fpso.jpg

arcbeam2.jpg

arcbeam.jpg

The last image is a colorbake I made from high to low to be used in DDO, with roughly the materials that will be featured in the rifle. Sorry for the horrible colors. :poly136:

colorselection.jpg

Also I seem to have a problem getting alphas to work in Marmoset toolbag to be used on the glass material, does anyone know how to make it work?
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Oops, saw that the color direction got a bit off. The grey is supposed to be metal and the yellow is copper.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    red imo should be black metal...it would look better as rubber doesnt have much sense imo....rubber should be grips but othwersise I would choose only painted metal or raw metal
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    I'm not really sure that I understand your feedback, would be helpful if you clarified it a bit :)
    If it's about the color scheme, the colors are not final. They are just chosen to easily selectable for the DDO run where I'll change the color scheme.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    I meant red color on ur scheme should represent black painted metal....only grips should be rubber, as I think rubber on those lense "cages" or whatever it is doesnt have much sense...and everything else except lenses should be painted metal or raw metal (without paint)...I wouldnt use copper either...
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    First I wasn't sure about the rubber either. But when I thought of it it kinda made sense, I tried to think about my time as a metal/wood-work teacher where we did easier electronic wiring you need a isolator. When you have a gun shooting laser/electricity you need a good isolator especially on the places where the lightning is passing through or else a spark might fly and connect to the rest of the metal and become a conductor :)
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Still alot of work to do on it, hopefully I'll be finished this evening. But this is the rough base materials and colors. Will try to add some more grime and some more logical scratches:

adamo3.jpg
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    I'm almost done now! Been working on the texture and the next step is making better renders and adding some more decals:

arcbeam1.jpg

arcbeam3.jpg

• Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I don't really know a lot about gun modelling and I dont creally have any critics for you because of it. But I can tell you that usually I never stop myself to look at a gun modelling but this one really cought my eye. Like the material definition and the touch of color :) great work!
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    This looks great! It looks sci-fi as well as functional. I especially like the flat wire on the top of the gun.
  • Dinky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dinky polycounter lvl 17
    This looks great! Really great design and model! Only thing I wish is that the blue painted metal maybe had some reflection on it.

Awesome job!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Looks pretty cool, I suggest removing the DOF in the screenies though.
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Tits wrote: »
    I don't really know a lot about gun modelling and I dont creally have any critics for you because of it. But I can tell you that usually I never stop myself to look at a gun modelling but this one really cought my eye. Like the material definition and the touch of color :) great work!

Thanks! That's the best feedback I could get :) Excactly what I want a Art director to think.

Screwonhed wrote: »
    This looks great! It looks sci-fi as well as functional. I especially like the flat wire on the top of the gun.

Thank you, really struggled to make it work. But in the end I'm really happy how functional the gun feels.
    Dinky wrote: »
    This looks great! Really great design and model! Only thing I wish is that the blue painted metal maybe had some reflection on it.

Awesome job!

Thanks :D ! Yeah, I agree with you. Wish that Marmoset wasn't limited to have no reflections :(. At least what I know of.

Bek wrote: »
    Looks pretty cool, I suggest removing the DOF in the screenies though.

Okay, I'll fix that with the proper beauty renders.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I agree with everyone, turned out great and despite the challenge, looks functional. Well done. All I could suggest is that for portfolio shots, taking out the vignette. It 'bands' really bad in .jpeg and smaller sizes.

Anyways, looks great.
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks ysalex :D By the way, absolutly love your work (Finish the old man!... yeah... I haven't forgot) I'll remove the viginette for the final render. Will probably update tomorrow with the final shots.
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    And done!

Removed the DOF and the Viginette from the image, thanks for all the help :)

arcbeam01.jpg

arcbeam03.jpg

arcbeam02.jpg
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Turn around for the spider-tank:

kvortho.jpg
  • Red Republik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great stuff Adam!
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    great stuff Adam!

Thank you so much! Really love your stuff Republik :)
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Haven't had time to work anything on the KV-X2 this week, last week of school game project going on. But thought I would post a tank I did for our game project :) Last game is the roughly the angle that is going to be shown in the game.

cvmkrts.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Love the sci-fi gun. What are you presenting it in? Really curious how you handled the energy effects :-)
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    artstream wrote: »
    Love the sci-fi gun. What are you presenting it in? Really curious how you handled the energy effects :-)

Thanks :) I rendered the gun in marmoset and I used two planes that kinda looked like a "vortex" that only had alpha and emissive, most of the effect are coming from the light setup where I used way too many point light to fake light-casting.

Finally got to work on the tank today and I'm pretty much done. The only thing I'm pondering is to drag into zbrush to make some weldingmarks on the railing. But I have a hard enought time to show it in maya in smooth preview as it is now.

kvfinalb.jpg
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Lovely work, would have liked to see some more definition on some of the metal parts on the rifle but other than that it looks amazing. Your other work is also really good, you might want to soften some of those edges on the spider-tank though.

I don't think you'll have any problem what so ever finding an internship. Good luck!
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    mikhga wrote: »
    Lovely work, would have liked to see some more definition on some of the metal parts on the rifle but other than that it looks amazing. Your other work is also really good, you might want to soften some of those edges on the spider-tank though.

I don't think you'll have any problem what so ever finding an internship. Good luck!

Thanks :) Might look over the metal if I can find the time for it. Time is really starting to feel sparse...
    Went over the tank and softened the bevels on some areas, thanks for the feedback.

Btw, does anyone know how many polies that are used for a next-gen tank? Was thinking of going between 30- 40 000. Is that to much?
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Haven't had time to update due to our game project. Had a quite intense final crunch, but now it's all over.

Got some pieces for our rts, created all the vehicles and one robot. I'll try to upload the rest of them with maps and RTS-views.

churchille.jpg

Plus the low poly for the spidertank is done.

kvlowpoly.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have a poly count for the tank? It seems quite high for an RTS. Given the scale & camera angle, the wheels could almost certainly be replaced with a texture.
  • Moltazia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltazia polycounter lvl 5
    That is one sexy spider-tank ;)
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    DWalker wrote: »
    Do you have a poly count for the tank? It seems quite high for an RTS. Given the scale & camera angle, the wheels could almost certainly be replaced with a texture.

The tank is at roughly 4.500 tris. For our game we only had roughly 10-15 units on screen at a time and the game was quite zoomed in. So I was given the opportunity to use quite a high polycount.
    The wheels, well I wasn't sure at first if I would model them in. But then I saw that Company of heroes had wheels on their churchill tank, and like that game we were supposed to LOD the model but was never given support to do that unfortunately
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Avg. polycount for a tank in men of war rts is around 5000 tris.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that tank looks great! wierd purple edges though :P
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    Very impressive work! I love the details on the back on the tank!
  • fantom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesone rifle man! Love to tank too. Clean model and textres. Really top work :thumbup:

Cheers!
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    ivanzu wrote: »
    Avg. polycount for a tank in men of war rts is around 5000 tris.

Nice, then I actually kept in the limit.
    Ged wrote: »
    that tank looks great! wierd purple edges though :P

Thanks! Yeah, gonna work on the light-setup.
    Very impressive work! I love the details on the back on the tank!

Thanks alot :)

fantom wrote: »
    Awesone rifle man! Love to tank too. Clean model and textres. Really top work :thumbup:

Cheers!

Thanks alot! It means a lot :D

Worked on the tank and got a basic texture going. The thing I need to do is get some logos going and add mud going like a gradient from the feet. But all and all I'm feeling half-done with the texture work. Haven't started on the light-setup, the pose or any post-processing.

kvlowpoly.jpg

• Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Finished the texture and trying to decide on a pose before I start creating the base and the light-setting. Can't really decide which one that looks best on the tank and it would be really helpful to get some feedback.

kvpose.jpg
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    We had the privilege to have the Art lead and art director from Massive entertainment to come over and give us feedback on our stuff. Tried to work in the feedback I got from them and here's the result. This is hopefully final on the texture and base and light-setting is next step.

kvbeauty.jpg