Home General Discussion

Art Tests in Portfolios

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
Is it a good idea to put failed art tests in your portfolio?

sure, it might have not been up to par or standards with said company, but could it maybe catch the eye of other companies?

Thoughts? Discuss.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Besides public stuff like the Splash Damage test, most art tests are under NDA.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I personally wouldnt put a failed art test in my folio as I feel it would give off the "this wasnt good enough for XYZ studio, why would it be good enough for us?" when a potential employer was looking at it.

But I have no idea if thats what they would think, its just what I would/do think.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Autocon wrote: »
    I personally wouldnt put a failed art test in my folio as I feel it would give off the "this wasnt good enough for XYZ studio, why would it be good enough for us?" when a potential employer was looking at it.

But I have no idea if thats what they would think, its just what I would/do think.

Sometimes a decisions isn't just based off an art test though so it is hard to tell. Was the other candidate local and you were not? Were they internally recommended or a previous employee? So many factors could have made them come to their decision outside of the test.

I would say it depends. I have a few in my folio because while they might not have landed me a job, they are still good pieces.

I have also taken a few and redid some parts or improved them to make them look better.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    I second everything Jesse said. You don't always know why you you didn't get it. Also most of the time art tests usually reflect your best work at that point in your development. So, if you feel it represents you and its the best you could do, then put it up.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    You dont need to write "FAILED ART TEST" on them. If its a good representation of your skills, why not use it? Maybe you were the one who declined the job, for example.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Failed or not, if I'm proud of an art test, you'll see it in my folio.

Don't care what people think :)
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Unless it's under NDA i don't see why not
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    I have a hard time seeing how a test could be under NDA to be honest.
    No one can legally oblige you to do or not do something with your work that you've done on your own time and were never paid for it.
    They could ask but then again they might have not even opened it. If you look at the bigger picture they are a (big-fat) company that did take your time and never compensated you in any way, while you are just a person who needs to pay your bills yet you do stuff for free and never show it again.
    If a previous test might help you get your next job then by any means do so.

And to echo they guys upwards there is bazillion a reasons you can not get hired even with a good art test. There's nothing shameful. Just be ready to come clean about it. And if the company you're applying to has a head of their own they'll be able to judge the quality of the piece and not it's origins. Just make sure the quality is there.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Failed or not, if I'm proud of an art test, you'll see it in my folio.

Don't care what people think :)

i concur
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I'd consider maybe taking something that you're proud of from the art test and re-using it in a new scene of your own. As long as it doesn't scream what game/studio it's from why not?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    seriously an art test, under NDA is a joke - you work for free, and you are not allowed to use it for self promotion? Waste of time...
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    <---- Me

I'd put an missed art test on my pholio, because it shows your ready to take risk, but tell me, who made it in CG or in life without ever scratching their knee ?

You think the best hockey players in the world never lost a game ? what about the best goalies, do they always win ? What i like in someone is the ability to lose a fair match but become stronger in the end by over coming the difficulty they once had.

This would be an honest way of saying "hey i know i wasn't that great of a modeler at the time, but im ready to start all over again and show my skills."

Sorry but i would certainly stay away from virgins and know it all. Hire the guys who bleeds

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    seriously an art test, under NDA is a joke - you work for free, and you are not allowed to use it for self promotion? Waste of time...

And please upload the file with your full texture sheets at:
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing that bugs me about it is that the same art test on your portfolio site is also on 20 other portfolios. I can't tell you how many Riot art test snowy lil' huts I've seen. I would guess I've seen at least 25 of them. It doesn't exactly make you stand out.

Hey Peanut, your reply caught my attention so I was wondering:

What about companies which only want the best? I hear the character artist field is overcrowded and if you can't pump those "badass" characters like God himself you're not worth considering. Why would companies bother with "pretty good" and try to teach a guy when they could strictly stick to hiring the best guns?

I am not saying you're wrong, I am just wondering about this other side I have read about that depicts a 3D industry that expects you to be the Chuck Norris of 3D with roundhouse kick and all.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Or if it's the cancelled arena net art test.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    If it's well executed the maybe yes, all art-test doesn't necessarily be the same unless they're super-public ones like splash damages etc etc. Even those ones you can quickly spot the difference in technical and artistic skill between the different tests.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dr grim wrote: »
    Hey Peanut, your reply caught my attention so I was wondering:

What about companies which only want the best? I hear the character artist field is overcrowded and if you can't pump those "badass" characters like God himself you're not worth considering. Why would companies bother with "pretty good" and try to teach a guy when they could strictly stick to hiring the best guns?

I am not saying you're wrong, I am just wondering about this other side I have read about that depicts a 3D industry that expects you to be the Chuck Norris of 3D with roundhouse kick and all.

Yes very true Dr Grim, some companies only take the best there is. But they are making a huge mistake, i've seen some character artist that were average on their pholio when they once started but with good attitude and good coaching would become really talented.

If i was on a decision making process to hire someone, i would go with the guy who puts on more work on is pieces rather than the guy who has an incredible pholio but whom i could lose due to the fact that he could be hired at some other studio (competitors).

I would go with 5 average artists rather than 1 Chuck Norris, IMO.
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Yes very true Dr Grim, some companies only take the best there is. But they are making a huge mistake, i've seen some character artist that were average on their pholio when they once started but with good attitude and good coaching would become really talented.

If i was on a decision making process to hire someone, i would go with the guy who puts on more work on is pieces rather than the guy who has an incredible pholio but whom i could lose due to the fact that he could be hired at some other studio (competitors).

Glad to read I stand a chance, then. I also read sometimes big egos from pros are a problem to manage. Like those guys are hard to mesh in with an existing team.

I want to learn to roundhouse-kick, though.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    peanut™ wrote: »

I think most people would, but 1 chuck norris is going to cost maybe 1.2x an average artist, so when you only have enough budget for one character artist, your choices are either 1 average artist or 1 chuck norris.

Of course, you have to attract the Chuck Norris, as well.

I wouldn't advocate "being average" for anyone trying to get a job. Just aim to be the best you absolutely can, and show off your best work (and only best work) in your portfolio. If you have failed art tests in your portfolio, show them off, but understand that you need to do better than them, because each one of those was deemed "not good enough" by at least one employer. If you hold yourself to high standards, you will improve - if you don't, you'll wind up in the glut of unemployed/barely-employed folks that get churned out by every art school each year.

Additionally, when you put a failed art test in your portfolio, and other people do as well, now you've made it easy for someone to compare you to everyone else that has completed that art test. In the same way, making an AK-47 for your portfolio is typically a bad idea, unless you can make The Best AK-47 On The Internet, because you will be directly compared to someone else's work. It is always best to have unique work (not necessarily original - taking concepts from other games, media, and concept artists is great, especially if you are weak at concept art) in your portfolio, as it forces people to judge you directly on your own merits, and not make comparisons.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I would say it depends. I have a few in my folio because while they might not have landed me a job, they are still good pieces.

I have also taken a few and redid some parts or improved them to make them look better.

That pretty much covers the answer to your main question sir MeshModeler.

I also would suggest asking them.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    I think most people would, but 1 chuck norris is going to cost maybe 1.2x an average artist, so when you only have enough budget for one character artist, your choices are either 1 average artist or 1 chuck norris.

I wouldn't advocate "being average" for anyone trying to get a job. Just aim to be the best you absolutely can, and show off your best work (and only best work) in your portfolio. If you have failed art tests in your portfolio, show them off, but understand that you need to do better than them, because each one of those was deemed "not good enough" by at least one employer. If you hold yourself to high standards, you will improve - if you don't, you'll wind up in the glut of unemployed/barely-employed folks that get churned out by every art school each year.

Additionally, when you put a failed art test in your portfolio, and other people do as well, now you've made it easy for someone to compare you to everyone else that has completed that art test. In the same way, making an AK-47 for your portfolio is typically a bad idea, unless you can make The Best AK-47 On The Internet, because you will be directly compared to someone else's work. It is always best to have unique work (not necessarily original - taking concepts from other games, media, and concept artists is great, especially if you are weak at concept art) in your portfolio, as it forces people to judge you directly on your own merits, and not make comparisons.

Ghostscape, you raise some valid important points here, many kudos for your input.

I was only commenting about a failed artest doesn't always mean "bad" and the fact that by hiding a piece "off" your pholio based on someone else decision and not having the guts to show it elsewhere, your not a Chuck Norris.

You see Chuck Norris is not a Pussy, like many other things Chuck Norris his not afraid to show pieces based on the fact that he may offend someone. If you want a job show your ready to sweat and be in the trenches.

Did everything Leonardo Da Vinci made be hidden because x-studio companies didn't like it and doesn't approve his artistic direction ?
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape wrote: »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I try real hard. I understand what you mean though: gotta aim higher everytime you can.

I am glad to see I made the right choices for my portfolio pieces. I had seen 1000000 AK-47, 600000 badass dudes in armor (I am kinda allergic to those) and 50000000 sports cars. I just couldn't bear myself to do what everybody had done so many times before. So I wasn't insane after all...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    personally I don't put in art tests, pieces that I didn't do 100% myself (except for a few exceptions), or pieces that were later touched up by another artist. That still leaves me with a huge number of models I need to cut down for an updated portfolio :P
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome discussion, and great answers!
    another question comes to mind

Sure, like tor frik said you don't have to write "failed art test" on your website.
    but say it actually comes up at an interview, you're showing your portfolio off and they ask what that piece (failed art test) is? then what do you do?

i can see things becoming a tad awkward if you say its a failed art test, especially in an interview where you're supposed to be showing off your strengths, not your weaknesses
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18

Sure, like tor frik said you don't have to write "failed art test" on your website.
    but say it actually comes up at an interview, you're showing your portfolio off and they ask what that piece (failed art test) is? then what do you do?

Just say: 'they went with someone with a different art style.'
    No need to see it as a failure.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And why would you even need to come up with a discussion like that in an interview, i talk about my hobbies and fishing when im in one.

They usually beg me to start the next day.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    why do you need to classify it as an art test on your portfolio? it's just another portfolio piece, so put it on there like one.

fuck, i'd even say put up an NDA art test as a regular folio piece... you aren't saying who it was for or why it was made, or where you got the concept... and as mentioned before, NDA on art tests is fucking retarded.
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    in my experience, companies have given me permission to place an art test in my portfolio, provided that I don't say that it's an art test, don't mention what company it's from, and don't give any reference back to the company.

So if you do use the piece in your portfolio, it's important to only take credit for what you did.
    and of course it's important you get permission first (they'll usually explain the guidelines to you anyway).
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    just noticed some more answers above -

as people have said, you don't refer to it as a failed piece. Especially if you're proud of it, i mean you're always learning new things, failed or successful, and other artists know that.

So you just be honest, the model (or whatever) is from another company, and you were only responsible for the textures (or whatever). People understand that something is under NDA, and that you can't always be more specific than that. Go into detail about your process of work that brought you to that art work. Not that someone else didn't like it.

Generally, one company wouldn't want you telling another company that this is their art test ;)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I didn't mean you would actually put "failed art test" on it. I meant it in the way that someone who is looking at portfolios would recognize it as another studios art test and judge you based on the fact that you didn't get the job there.

That would be my only worry about posting an art test where I didn't get the job. That the person looking at your folio would think, "oh they tried and didn't get the job there so now there trying here"
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver wrote: »
    I have a hard time seeing how a test could be under NDA to be honest.
    No one can legally oblige you to do or not do something with your work that you've done on your own time and were never paid for it.

This is neither here nor there. You often sign an NDA for an art test because you're often working off of NDA material, like concepts from an unannounced game. Whether you get paid or not for it has no relevance on the matter.

If you're doing a public art test that's another story, but if you've been given a concept I would make sure to ask permission to post the work publicly.

Its not like X company is going to send their lawyers after you, but you don't want to earn a reputation as someone who breaks NDAs.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Totally see your point Earthquake, but here's the trick:
    Legally you have no right to peoples work that you didn't pay for and you have no right to prohibit it's use or display in any way.
    Art test can't be from something directly related to an ongoing project because if someone gets suspicious that their test was used in an actual product it would be enough grounds for a lawsuit.
    Giving away NDA stuff to people who are not on the project yet is irresponsible and could end up creating more problems for both sides.

Now it's perfectly understandable how everyone doesn't want to piss studios off and get some bad rep, but this borderlines illegal. Because companies indirectly pressure you to do something they have no legal grounds to demand from you.
    It's like taking compulsory overtime for month because nobody likes a quitter. It's not really the way it should be and the system is obviously flawed.

But once again I on the same page with you man. That's why there aren't more art tests on website :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is absolutely NO legal requirement that payment must be exchanged in order to sign and obey an NDA. Its common for clients, artists, etc to sign NDAs simply to discuss the possibility of working together. If you don't get the job you can break the NDA and blab about the project?

Thats absurd, and completely incorrect.

An NDA is exactly what it sounds like. A non disclosure contract, you sign it, you're not allowed to talk about anything that falls under tha NDA. Payment for services is again, neither here nor there.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    There is absolutely NO legal requirement that payment must be exchanged in order to sign and obey an NDO. Its common for clients, artists, etc to sign NDAs simply to discuss the possibility of working together. If you don't get the job you can break the NDA and blab about the project?

Thats absurd, and completely incorrect.

An NDA is exactly what it sounds like. A non disclosure contract, you sign it, you're not allowed to talk about anything that falls under tha NDA. Payment for services is again, neither here nor there.

I stand corrected. Whenever you sign an actual physical NDA you totally should not disclose stuff.

But so far I've never seen a studio do that, including a lot of very high profile ones. Maybe there's a difference between a test for a future employee and for an outsourcing contract?

Because from my experience what they usually do is just ask you not to disclose stuff, with the sole purpose of not having people copycating from one another. That way it gets pretty hard to judge if what you see for a test is an actual representation of ones skills, which I do not always agree with.
    What I'm getting at is that you usually don't really posses any kind of information that could hurt them in any way and thus hardly could be a subject to an NDA contract. And even if it was it would be unenforceable in court which would technically make the contract void.
    I mean companies usually know better then give away sensitive information that could actually hurt them.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Art test can't be from something directly related to an ongoing project because if someone gets suspicious that their test was used in an actual product it would be enough grounds for a lawsuit.

From my experience they are directly related to an ongoing project - on occasion I've gotten screenshots and other concepts that were under NDA too so I knew what style to match.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I stand corrected. Whenever you sign an actual physical NDA you totally should not disclose stuff.

But so far I've never seen a studio do that, including a lot of very high profile ones. Maybe there's a difference between a test for a future employee and for an outsourcing contract?

Yeah in my experience getting an NDA with an art test is usually pretty typical, but really, getting an NDA before any serious discussions take place is typical as well, especially with oursourcing/contract based jobs.
    Because from my experience what they usually do is just ask you not to disclose stuff, with the sole purpose of not having people copycating from one another. That way it gets pretty hard to judge if what you see for a test is an actual representation of ones skills, which I do not always agree with.
    What I'm getting at is that you usually don't really posses any kind of information that could hurt them in any way and thus hardly could be a subject to an NDA contract. And even if it was it would be unenforceable in court which would technically make the contract void.
    I mean companies usually know better then give away sensitive information that could actually hurt them.

If studio X doesn't give you an NDA, you're right there is nothing legally the prevents you from showing the work. However, I would still ask permission first. The industry can be very small sometimes.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Wow that's crazy Justin. Interesting to know, but still pretty dangerous from a company point of view. In that case NDA is totally understandable. But I guess it would require a pretty stylized game.
    All my experiences were different. The closest to an actual project I've got was to create an environment following concepts for studious previous project.

EarthQuake, true. The industry is very small. Yet I've seen a lot of people post tests when they were asked not to and nothing bad really happened. Including people who got jobs in the companies that asked them not to post the test. In the end I think we're all people, so if you post a test not just because you're being an ass but because you truly believe it would help you get a job I think people would understand.

It differs of course though, because some places would casually ask you to keep it to yourself while others will remind with every single letter and borderline threaten you, so you should really think for yourself when it's worth it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, and privately showing an art test to a prospective employer is also an option too, if you don't want to burn any bridges by publicly posting something.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    True again! That's what I do, really. But it provoked an interesting question:

I don't know how many people are reading this right now, but were you ever burned or know a person that was burned because he/she publicly posted an art test, that was asked to be undisclosed?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    often enough you can negotiate and change parts of ndas or contracts - i usually try to keep the workamount low (like doing a representative part of the asset), keeping the right to show it afterwards, or getting paid for it - maybe with a discount, or payment when the test is successfull. throwing away weeks of work/money is a risk i only take if it is reaaaalllly worth it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Again just because you do a test and don't get the job doesn't mean it is a failure. Some places have people do tests for jobs that aren't even open, some go with local candidates or a rehire, or just some other reason.

If you do a piece of art and it is a total bomb then no you don't put it in your folio. You wouldn't put a shitty personal piece in your folio so this rule is no different. If it looks good, shows off your skills and demonstrates to a potential employer/client that you can do the job then by all means add it.

I have seen some amazing art tests get turned in and people don't get jobs. In the end it isn't just about the art and it is a personal decision. Is the other person cheaper? Do they have more experience? Has some one worked with them previously? Are they going to be easier to train/ramp up/get adjusted to the workflow. So many things can factor in. Heck someone doing the interview might ask you a question about what games you play and they may not like those games and someone else might have a different answer and the interviewer will think "well this person would fit in with the team better."

Best rule for your folio to live by is "If it's awesome art, use it."
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    One thing people seem to have overlooked in this discussion is the possibility that the art test did just fine, but the artist themselves turned down the position after getting the on-site and seeing some personal red flags or whatever that made it not seem like a good fit. I'm pretty sure people do turn down job offers from time to time. :P

Either way, like Jesse just posted, there are a myriad of reasons why the job opening and the artist may go separate ways while the artist is still proud enough of the work to show it. I still have an art test on my now ancient portfolio that I was pretty pleased with at the time, for a company I didn't end up working for. Including it as a significant part of my portfolio didn't exactly prevent me from getting a job with Firaxis and now Blizzard. IIRC both art directors recognized it during the in-person interviews, "ah yeah isn't that the ____ test?" and it was just a passing thought and we moved on to the next piece. Really not a big deal.

In the end what people are looking for out of an art test is, "can this artist make the kind of work we want, in the style we want, at the speed and quality we want?" and one interpretation of a particular art test that makes studio A answer that with "no" could easily make studio B say "oh hell yeah".

You do need to make sure the studio hasn't prohibited the posting of the test -- most studios will state whether they're cool with it outright, but if they don't, be sure to ask them. Usually they just want to make sure you don't label it "ART TEST FOR STUDIO X" and beyond that it's up to you whether to post it.

Jesse's summary is the best so I'll just repeat that: "If it's awesome art, use it."