Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Update:

Fin.

10omcs3.jpg

2q06ekk.jpg

2hgfqbp.jpg

2ymd9w2.jpg

Morning,

Happy new year all, time to start a new character and get the folio updated. Its been a while since i've worked on a female character so I got an inspiration sheet together to help determine my approach. I like the idea of trying to blend a current age character with some sci-fi elements (without going completely over the top).

amckep.jpg

Some initial thumbnails as well as some character sketches to help give me some ideas of what her personality would be like.

2lf1e.jpg

Replies

• afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Looking forward to this mate!
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    afisher wrote: »
    Looking forward to this man!

i thought he said it was going to be a woman?
  • AA3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    Olli. wrote: »
    i thought he said it was going to be a woman?

trolololol :poly136:
    sorry couldnt help my slef but laugh there :D

cant wait to see how this will progress ...
    very interesting already
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    4, 6, 8 and 10 are pretty bad ass dude.
    Can't wait to see what you come up with!

*Subb'd*
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started the sculpt on this. One thing I wanted to ensure was that I get the female sculpt (anatomy included) as spot on as possible.

Even though I probably won't use all (or even most) of it, it gives me a perfect opportunity to brush up on my anatomy and sculpt knowledge in general (I always find women a bugger to sculpt) but it provides me with perfect silhouette to hang the clothes off of.

What i've found so far is that zbrush's matcaps in general can be quite harsh on a female character, making the face look strange so I poly-painted in the detail to see how well they would work once textures (thanks to afishers "Pendleton" post as I used the matcaps in the links provided from http://luckilytip.blogspot.com.au/). The teeth and the eyelashes are just placeholders.

Regarding proportions, I want to make sure the character is "slightly" exaggerated in physique but not to superhero feminine proportions (So shorter legs and wider waist). I'm still unsure as to whether this will work however I know that I want the character to go towards a more rugged, scarred look overall rather than sexy (without sacrificing personality and character which toning down the proportions may affect).

Any feedback will be appreciated, still want to detail up the final female sculpt before I start working on ideas for the attire.

dvpk3t.jpg

14loevm.jpg

1gt2rp.jpg
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing as usual,

always look forward to seeing your work and this piece is coming along nicely :)

EDIT:

Can i ask, did you start off sculpting a base mesh or did you make it yourself? Just wondering as alot of polycounts female sculpts look very similar to start from.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi David,

I used an existing base mesh to start off with as I was't worried about deforming the female proportions too much to skew poly density.

3496ret.jpg
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers,

I'm a student doing portfolio work; and whilst i've created base mesh's in the past for my characters, I find it quicker and easier to use an existing base mesh either from Polycounts library or zbrush's default.

Would you kindly advise, whether this was appropriate or would it be more beneficial to use my own base mesh every time? Despite alter proportions on the defaults...

Cheers
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Top stuff Baj man! Only crit i've got is that the shoulders/neck cavity is coming across too strong, I'd suggest smoothing it out a bit. Also looking at the side view I think you could push in the lower part of the rib cage and bring out the lower stomach a bit more to have a smooth curve for the stomach line.

Other than than I'm digging it. Any chance of telling us what thumbnail you went with or a concept you knocked up?

Good luck and i'll be watching!
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you kindly advise, whether this was appropriate or would it be more beneficial to use my own base mesh every time? Despite alter proportions on the defaults...

I think its worth at least creating your own base mesh in a some occasions, its a good way to learn about poly density however due to how far we've come with retopology and auto-topo generation tools its not always necessary.
    Top stuff Baj man! Only crit i've got is that the shoulders/neck cavity is coming across too strong, I'd suggest smoothing it out a bit. Also looking at the side view I think you could push in the lower part of the rib cage and bring out the lower stomach a bit more to have a smooth curve for the stomach line.

Other than than I'm digging it. Any chance of telling us what thumbnail you went with or a concept you knocked up?

Cheers, I agree with the crit. Made some modifications to the torso, shoulders as well as reducing the length of the neck slightly and size of the head.

I decided to go mainly with thumb 3, nothing too refined in terms of a final concept but enough shapes and ideas to get me started on the base meshes and the sculpt.

166axiw.jpg

ej34j.jpg
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taken a fair bit of time this one, but I've managed to get the bulk of the sculpt done. Will be moving onto the main gun now but will revisit the sculpt after to ensure everything is spot on before I jump down to low poly.

Proportions have been modified since the original as has the size of the head.

2hhmxjp.jpg
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is looking awesome baj!

think the backpack could be on little less of an angle, and the collar is looking alil flat and stiff, but apart from that awesome! :D
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty awesome!

Id add in a few tension folds to her elbow area
    Make her butt bigger, esp from her profile

its good seeing u do a female lol
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Her face is starting to look very similar to your previous models. I think it's the nose to cheek transition mainly, where it should be more harsher of a transition. You can see it best in profile. The brow could be smoother and I think your mouth placement is slightly off. Could come higher and less sunken in. Have a look at some profile shots so you can get a better shape going and try a different nose possibly. It's looking really good so far though :)
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.
    Her face is starting to look very similar to your previous models. I think it's the nose to cheek transition mainly, where it should be more harsher of a transition. You can see it best in profile. The brow could be smoother and I think your mouth placement is slightly off. Could come higher and less sunken in. Have a look at some profile shots so you can get a better shape going and try a different nose possibly. It's looking really good so far though

Aye, its weird after reworking the face how strange the original looked (particularly the profile view). Changed this considerably. Also played with the collar, a bit more tension on the bag and more folds on the elbows of the jacket as suggested by sahib.

Also, after re-evaluating the head and legs I decided they were out of proportion too so modified these too (bigger head, shorter legs).

2m5xnnq.jpg
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, gun sculpt/model finished. Mixing up the hard surface stuff with both Max and ZBrush is great. So much faster then it used to be.

Will be doing a final pass now, adding scratches onto metal, clothing scuffs, etc.

21j1teu.jpg
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alphajayel polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking great! I think the character that I'm working on right now has a similarity to your design in terms of props. I was planning on putting a similar military bag, a knife, and a gun on my character too! hehe
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers mate. Should have posted this yesterday as I finally managed to finish it off.

10omcs3.jpg

2q06ekk.jpg

2hgfqbp.jpg

2ymd9w2.jpg
  • AlbinLundahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlbinLundahl polycounter lvl 5
    Very nice work! Pose and expression of this character is awesome! My only problem is the material definition of the jacket, kind of reads like plastic to me. Otherwise it's great!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    She looks great Baj, well done :D
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Nice man! I especially like the costume design.
    oooh. What's this rendered in? Marmoset?