Home General Discussion

Biggest Surprises of Steam Holiday Sales

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
Well the sales are probably winding down about now. But I just wanted to post one of my biggest and most pleasant surprises is a game called Fairy Bloom Freesia. It's only $4.00 and you play as a magical anime girl who fights off little slime balls over and over again in the forest.

The combat in the game is amazing and I would describe it as a cross between Street Fighter and Super R-Type. Doesn't make sense? Well basically you have combos and you can block and flip out all over the screen because remember you are a fairy girl.

But as the game progresses the enemies start to shoot so many bullets in the air, that it starts to feel almost like you are playing a super R-Type just to prevent yourself from being blown up. And then when you finally do hit the ground there are so many enemies that there is barely any place to stand!

It is a really really fun game. But I would say having a gamepad is absolutely a necessity.

The developers are called Edelweiss aparently than they also have another game for $4 called Ether Vapor Remaster. I think I'll pick it up too it looks pretty cool. I just wanted to post this to show some support to these developers who I now realize that I like quite a bit.

Replies

• Elyaradine
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for that! Checked out some gameplay videos, and I'll be buying that too. :)
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    My biggest surprise of this Steam sale has been how disappointing it's been. Badges get you nothing, and games are getting recycled (it's basically been the same 10 games on loop, let's face it). And most of my purchases have been pretty retro, like the Tomb Raider Collection, and Soul Reaver collection... and I'll probably buy the Quake Collection soon too.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I was a moron and bought a bunch of games full price before the sale.. I didn't even know there was one.. but picked up CIV 5 for pennies .. looking forward to playing it.. it will be the first CIv I've played since the first one....
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    85% off Sam 3 BFE was tempting....
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    God damnit, there's a Soul Reaver collection?!
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Andreas wrote: »
    My biggest surprise of this Steam sale has been how disappointing it's been. Badges get you nothing, and games are getting recycled (it's basically been the same 10 games on loop, let's face it). And most of my purchases have been pretty retro, like the Tomb Raider Collection, and Soul Reaver collection... and I'll probably buy the Quake Collection soon too.

I heard a few people say that, but I thought this year's sale was amazing. And just because something wasn't on the front page doesn't mean it wasn't on sale. You could find a lot of good stuff just by clicking around - chances were it was 50% off!

I spent $200 this year and walked away like a bandit, I feel. I now have 124 games on my Steam account, of which I've only payed full price for 4 of those games.

I've only beat about 8 of them too xD
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    God damnit, there's a Soul Reaver collection?!

Yes, please buy it so we get a sequel!
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I picked up Zeno Clash for £0.69 (-90%) and Blood Bowl (-100%) for £0.01. Those were the most nuts offers.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, my biggest surprise was that it was actually pretty crap. I think we are long past the day when Steam did amazing deals :(
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    rolfness....civ 5.... say goodbye to 10-40 hours. It'll just go.

I spent 30 hours on my first game O.o
    I did decide to try the largest map and max number of enemies, but damn.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    I would definitely buy the bethesda pack if they gave you giftable codes for games you already have but they don't so myeh.
  • nick2730
    sale sucked, think i bought 1 game. Most of my buys were from green man gaming, WAY better then steam
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Sleeping dogs, 91% off right now on steam sales!! :D
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    SCB wrote: »
    Sleeping dogs, 91% off right now on steam sales!! :D

Holy shit.. I was thinking of grabbing it when it was $16. Glad I waited.

I complained about this sale too, but in the end, I've purchased more this holiday sale than the last.. so I guess I'm just a hypocrite :)
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    OMG it was an error by Steam, its back up in price now!

EDIT: I hope some people were able to snipe that deal in time!
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Part of me was disappointed by this years sales, but I think the only reason I was feeling that way is because I'd already cashed in on a lot of the awesomeness in previous years. There were a lot of great deals, just for things I'd already had. Did seem like there weren't as many this year, though. A couple things I picked up but was a bit bummed with because they didn't drop any lower than their Thanksgiving prices. $10 for the Dawnguard DLC is nice and all, but let's face it, it's a $10 DLC - it's no Shivering Isles. Felt like I was paying more what it was worth rather than really getting it for a cool sale price, but I was happy to get it.

Also picked up Fear 3 for the sake of completing my Fear collection, and got the Doom 3 BFG edition when I found out they finally patched in flashlight shadows and things like a FOV option, pretty stoked about that.

Nice sale as a whole, I think I bought fewer games than I ever have in the past, but the number of games I own that I've yet to play is ridiculous as it is so I'm not going to complain.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I've been buying less games from Steam for a little while now. Starting to realise that grabbing these amazing deals is all well and good, but I now had dozens and dozens that I just never have the time to get round to. Getting excited about SimCity 5 and realising that I have bought SimCity 4 and I've not yet played it... that kinda made me realise that it's getting a bit dumb.

Same with Civ5...

So I'm trying to make sure that I only buy one game, and not often, and that I then play that game straight away.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    ambershee wrote: »
    I picked up Zeno Clash for £0.69 (-90%) and Blood Bowl (-100%) for £0.01. Those were the most nuts offers.
    Zeno Clash is a great indie game, and the sequel is sounding verrrry interesting.
  • Lamont
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    The only bummer is that the collections don't have all the games (Ubisoft has no FarCry3 or AS3) Hitman with no Hitman 3.

The problem with the sales is that I already have the games I want, also some sites have better deals on Steam games year round.

And this always makes me happy:
    An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Try living in Korea Lamont, no SEGA stuff! No Total War, Jet Set, NiGHTS etc. for me! You can imagine my nerd rage!
  • Joe March
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    SCB wrote: »
    OMG it was an error by Steam, its back up in price now!

EDIT: I hope some people were able to snipe that deal in time!

NABBED IT
  • Lamont
    Online / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Try living in Korea Lamont, no SEGA stuff! No Total War, Jet Set, NiGHTS etc. for me! You can imagine my nerd rage!
    Even here in Japan, there is no Sega (Sonic Racing and MegaDrive classics only). Hardly any Capcom.

Looking on Amazon Japan has found some awesome deals on games that are not available through Origin or Steam. I am sure there has to be an equivalent in Korea too.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Had a pretty good go of this sale and managed to pick up a bunch of indie, legacy and last year or so titles super cheap.

Most of the legacy stuff i just wanted in my steam lib for replay value, have already been completely surprised by the amount of time spent kicking around with some of these indie titles and have a good handful of the last seasons or so games, all in all likely much more gameplay than i have spare time for.

I didn't grab anything new, very tempted to pick up Xcom or Dishonored but decided to play through what i have first and pick them up later.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    Even here in Japan, there is no Sega (Sonic Racing and MegaDrive classics only). Hardly any Capcom.

Looking on Amazon Japan has found some awesome deals on games that are not available through Origin or Steam. I am sure there has to be an equivalent in Korea too.

They steam redeemable though? I kinda like having that convinience.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    i usually go to amazon us for digital downloads. change your address to some us address and you're all set. works very well. steam is more tricky as you need a vpn, or you know someone else who can buy games for you. for older titles GoG is a good alternative.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to gift someone games not available in their region Kwramm? I didnt think it was.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    never tried gifting although i think it should work. the game block is just in effect when you want to visit the game's page with the 'buy' button. i once bought a steam game via remote desktop on my dad's machine in europe using my own account and then continued downloading it in china on my local pc.
    if gifting doesn't involve to actually navigate to the game's page on your side, then it may just work. blocked games show up in your library just fine once you bought them. and why shouldn't they. you could have bout them in a country where they are for sale (except I usually don't wan to wait for my yearly vacation where I leave China) and then move to the country where they aren't on sale. steam doesn't take away stuff you managed to buy.
  • Lamont
    Online / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    never tried gifting although i think it should work.
    It does not work all the time, in the case of Brink and a few others, they were gifted to me and I still had to wait for it to be "released" in my region.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    i once bought a steam game via remote desktop on my dad's machine in europe using my own account and then continued downloading it in china on my local pc.

I see you have some Ninja rubbing off on you over there :D

Yeah, games that aren't available here that I owned previously haven't been. Blocked. Now I just need to go back to Europe to grab Jet Set! :thumbup:

EDIT: Watched this this evening and found it kind of relevant.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5233-Limited-Collectors-Complete-Edition

He speaks the truth even if he is a knob 50% of the time.
    Really wanted Dishonoured or Dark Souls at 75% off this sale but will have to wait for the next one I guess. Got a big enough unplayed library to go through in the mean time. :poly136:
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Offspring Fling and Legend of Grimrock!
  • walreu
    My dissapointments was that XCOM never went below 33% and Far Cry 3 discount was lame also..
    But i got more than enough games from there, so it's ok.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    So for me the tally was:

Awesomenauts (Gift)
    Dota 2 (Gift) (Thanks 4evra)
    Specs Ops: The Line (very very good game)
    Tomb Raider Collection
    Legacy of Kain Collection
    Star Wars: KOTOR
    Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition Complete Pack
    Skyrim - Dawnguard

Not bad but not great. Would have loved to have seen Dark Souls and Dishonoured at 75%. There was nothing really 'headline worthy' like that in this sale.