Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Korben Dallas - The Fifth Element

Hey guys, Happy New Year!
I have some free time over the holidays so I've been working on stuff for my portfolio.
I freaking love The Fifth Element, so I've decided to model Bruce Willis' character "Korben".

I've modelled him nude and with 3 iterations of clothing.
Nude for an extra anatomy sculpt and the clothing iterations from different stages of the movie.
I've modelled his Blaster Gun but it has no holster, he just sticks it down the back of his pants.

I still have a lot to do in the sculpting phase with skin detail and clothing creases, along with needing to add belts/buttons etc, you get the idea.

I hope you guys like it and I'll try to keep the updates regular.

Any constructive feedback is more than welcome.

Cheers, R.

korbenheadwip.jpg

korben_nude_by_morgzart-d5qc84l.jpg

korbenclothing01wip.jpg

korbenclothing02wip.jpg

korbenclothing03wip.jpg

korbengunshaded.jpg

korbengunwires.jpg

Replies

• Zyloh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyloh polycounter lvl 8
    I'm excited about this one!
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

@Amile - I agree, it's one of the best.

Update on clothing iteration 3.
    korbenclothing03wip02.jpg
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Corbaaaan DALAAAASSS! My man, your man, the man.

Love that movie. Looks good so far, but I keep wanting to say the forehead to a bit too tall:
    154149_1235878846542_500_223.jpg
    But just a tad, maybe it's right? His forehead is pretty tall.
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Quiver ladies, quiver. He's gonna set the world on fire! -

Haha! Thanks for the feedback, Locater.
    At first I thought it was the placement hair I threw in there but you're right, it does look a little tall. I'll re-work it later today just to be sure.

Update on costumes 1 & 2.
    I've just noticed how ridiculous the 2 straps on the back of his sleeveless shirt look, so they'll be changed before my next update.

Both costumes share the same trousers which are finished; all that's left are those damn sci-fi boots. :susp:
    I'll probably jump into some skin detailing after that.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers!

-R

korbenclothing01wip2.jpg

korbenclothing02wip2.jpg

:blank:
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope everyone had a nice weekend.
    Boots & trousers added. Spent my birthday sculpting, how sad is that. Haha

More focus on Anatomy/Skin detailing next. After that it'll be time to retopologise this guy.
    His legs look too long to me...
    korbenclothing01wip3.jpg

korbenclothing02wip3.jpg

bootswip.jpg
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update on Bruce's head, I think it's looking a lot more like him now.

The stubble and skin pores are really messy, unfortunately I can't do anything about it at the moment. Working within layers with a mesh over 1 million polys is near impossible on this laptop, I may have to come back to such fine detailing when I get my other computer repaired.
    (It actually takes 30-60 seconds for it to respond when I move up or down subD levels...I feel like crying when working on this thing.)

Time to start retopologising.
    korbenheadwip02.jpg
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this. Especially the level of detail in terms of features like straps and pockets and stuff. Also it totally looks like him!:)
    One thing that sticks out to me is the folds on the pants though, maybe worth taking another look at before baking stuff down :)
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Callesw, thanks for the feeedback. I see what you mean about his pants, the creases and folds look randomly placed rather than because of tension points etc.
    I was actually about to start retopologising them after I was done with his shirt, so thanks for pointing it out! Will give them another pass.
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent the past day retopologising this guy....I hate it, although I do like to auto-pilot and watch movies while I do it. hehe
    John Carpenter's The Thing ftw.

I have a low and a high poly mesh but I'm planning to make this a game cinematic type character.
    I quickly threw this normal map onto the guy for something I have to do tomorrow so forgive the sloppiness, I'll re-bake it on the weekend and fix the crap.
    costume03normalmaptest0.jpg

costume03normalmaptest0.jpg
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work, one of my favorite movies too!
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May i ask,

did you model the base mesh from scratch; and then sculpt on this? or did you use a default...

im making portfolio work and dont want studios to get the wrong impression; ive made my own base mesh... but its not excellent... good - ok mind but not excellent...
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool work! I love the movie and this is really cool stuff ya have done. can wait to see him with Lelu.
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Warxsnake - Thanks! glad you like it.

@ David Wakelin - I modelled a basemesh in Maya before starting anything in Zbrush. Hmmm I'd recommend staying away from using Zbrush's default base meshes, sure it'll make things faster but in the long run it isn't going to help you improve that part of your game.
    Personally I'd lose a little respect if I seen an artist doing that for professional work. Leonardo Da Vinci couldn't exactly order GenericMarbleMale#3 from a catalogue and sculpt the Statue of David from it.

As far as studios go I don't think they'd care less if you started your sculpt with a boiled potato, it's the end result they're interested in as fast as they can get it. Time = money.

If I were you I'd build your own male and female base mesh so you can pop one open whenever you need it; having a pre-built ear or hand available also saves large amounts of time. I find that approach to be faster than using Dynamesh but as with anything it's personal preference, I'm sure there are lots of artists on here that would disagree with me.

Base meshes don't really matter anymore now with Dynamesh being introduced, especially if it just gets retopo'd at the end anyway. The main benefit to starting with a clean base mesh is it makes things easier throughout your pipeline.

But hey, it's just advice, man. At the end of the day you can do whatever you wanna do.

@ ASGUARDVIKING - Thanks a lot! Oh, I'm making Leeloo next, am I? Well...alrite then. haha
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha hey man if ya do Corbin ya gotta have a leelu there. Love your avatar dude. that show is the best!
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Pixel.

I have my own base mesh.. Im just gonna improve it a little to my own specs and dynamesh it :) atleast that way i can say i've done the legwork from the ground up... :)

Nice work :)
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ASGUARDVIKING - Haha true. They'd look pretty cool in a few renders together, will make her next for sure. Ah thanks man, Invader Zim is the shiz!

@David Wakelin - No worries, mate. Sounds good to me, hope you kick some ass this year and post stuff up! Will keep an eye out for it.
  • iheartmyself
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iheartmyself polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome work man, some realtime renders next plox :D!