Home Technical Talk

Photoshop switching between eraser and brush?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, I've used a wacom 3, 4, 5, and now Cintiq 24hd and I've always had the problem of Photoshop switching between brush and eraser (not all the time, just multiple times a session) whenever I:

Switch from eraser to brush, lay down a stroke, then undo that one stroke: Back to Eraser

Switch from eraser to brush and immediately increase the brush size: back to eraser (and changing the eraser size instead)

Switch from eraser to brush and quickly lay down strokes: back to eraser

Accidentally hit 'B' twice to switch from eraser: switches straight back to eraser

This really drives me crazy, and nobody else I've asked has had this problem.
I should note this problem has occurred across around 6 computers (including work, my own, and friends computers) with multiple installs from xp to win7, all with different wacoms.

If anybody else has had this happen, or has a solution, I'd appreciate it! :)

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    It sounds like maybe you're using Sticky Keys? It's one of my favorite more-recent features actually. If you have the Brush tool selected, and you wanna erase something, you can hold E and not let it go and erase a bit, then when you let go of E it'll go back to the brush tool. This lets you temporarily jump to another tool. Maybe this is what's happening there?
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    It sounds like maybe you're using Sticky Keys? It's one of my favorite more-recent features actually. If you have the Brush tool selected, and you wanna erase something, you can hold E and not let it go and erase a bit, then when you let go of E it'll go back to the brush tool. This lets you temporarily jump to another tool. Maybe this is what's happening there?
    Oh, wow! Thanks for that. :) I always miss it in other programs when I'm not using XSI.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, I think you're right Bigjohn. Maybe I'm putting down strokes too quickly and I get a fumbled up with the hotkeys.

Also, Super useful! Thanks!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    mind blowen, i never even thought to check for sticky keys in a app like PS, even know i use it all the time in maya and xsi
  • ibrahimozdemir
    Bigjohn said:

Thanks to you. You illuminate my path from past. I reply this post because there is people still suffering this conflict.
    So this is not an issue. But why now? I'm using photoshop for decades. This is first time I notice this sticky things. Interesting.